1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Coffee Thread: How do you like you Coffee?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Apr 7, 2020.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Do you like your mini. I bought it because it was ridiculously cheap.

franchise403 likes this.
  2. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I do but now that I know the difference between a 53mm porta filter and 58mm porta filter and having used both set ups, I have an easier time dialing in shots via the latter. That’s my unprofessional opinion but overall I love the machine.

It can handle making the 4-6 drinks in the morning with ease, I can’t imagine it as a primary machine in a shop but I don’t imagine it was but for a home machine it’s hard to do better for the price.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I never understood why they use a non standard portafilter. I hope to get it running this week, then I have to figure out what to do with it. I don't need two $2K espresso machines.

franchise403 likes this.
  4. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I feel like when I was researching machines I read the justification, which I can't remember, but in hindsight it doesn't make much sense. It's crazy because I spent 4 months researching machines before purchasing and although I really enjoy the machine I wish I had researched a bit more and bought one with a 58mm. Given that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the machine I can't justify spending another 3K right now but I want to!

Rocket River likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A lot of the guys I used to work with gave up on the work coffee (Starbucks, Peet's, etc.) that was made in one of those coffee pots that you pump the coffee out of that probably hadn't been cleaned out since the Clinton administration. They decided to make coffee using an AeroPress and checking the water temperature, etc. Seemed like a lot of effort, but I must admit it tasted a lot better. Some of that was probably because they ground the coffee beans on-demand. But like I said, it seemed like more effort than I wanted to get into, but I may give something like that a whirl eventually.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like my coffee like my soul. Black...

7. adoo

adoo Member

i like the Vietnamese coffee more.. i buy them from Vietnamese grocery store.
    first thing in the AM, i have my coffee black.

in the afternoon, i'd make HongKong style tea coffee (YinYang).
    it combines the flavor of tea and coffee, sweeten by evap milk. i learn to make this concoction from my days as an ex-pat working in HK

malakas likes this.
  8. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Lotsa cream lotsa sugar.

likestohypeguy and Rocket River like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just cream I no longer like sweet coffee.

Great thread I am learning a lot.

Question: I drink about a one cup of coffee a day before work and I usually try and find a bargain on Amazon, what I usually get is Green Mountain and Donut Shop.

I like a strong coffee but not bitter anybody got comparable brands that taste better but in that price range?

I use K cups.

#69 jiggyfly, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  10. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]

CK Johnson likes this.
  11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Are you making the vietnamese coffee yourself or is it some premade thing you're buying from the store? If it's homemade what are you using to make it?

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

i use the aeropress together with a small temp control water heater (keeps water at your temp setting throughout the day). Very little effort. Hardly any cleaning and unless you roast your own bean, it takes just seconds... of course you can leave it simmering for mins depending on your taste.

Doesn’t make sense to make a whole pot, especially with expensive coff, and waste it if you only drink 1-2 cups a day. I usually have 1 cup in the morning and tea later so I switched to the aeropress years ago. Work coff is nasty for the reason you stated.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Best Buy and Amazon have frequent deals on bulk-buys of Donut Shop.

14. adoo

adoo Member

i buy this brand of coffee from a VN grocery store in Little Saigon
    [​IMG]

marky :) likes this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopeful not posted yet, haven't read the full thread:

malakas and jiggyfly like this.
  16. marky :)

marky :) Member

Do you like that over the Cafe Du Monde one? Never tried that brand. Might have to try it.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Doesn't coffee get stale?

I only drink a cup a day and bulk might be too much.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In my experience, you're fine with k-cups. It's the ground coffee you've got to watch out for.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not a coffee snob at all, I just like a good light roast. I miss the free Starbucks Veranda at work, but my wife drinks these Panera Light Roast k-cups and I've been enjoying those while at home.

No cream, just 1 packet of this:

[​IMG]

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How bad is the aftertaste? Is is it really noticeable? The only time I tried Stevia was with Stevia in the Raw, I think, and it was horrible.

ima_drummer2k likes this.