1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why do you think it's Kamala.

Who would be excited by her as the VP pick?

What does she bring the ticket?

Female?

Black?

Neither of those groups she did well in as a candidate.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why? I have to agree with @Mr.Scarface. She doesn't have anywhere near the requisite experience and she does not win Georgia.

I think the need is clear to have someone that can step into the role from day 1 should something happen to Biden. I can't imagine anyone having the confidence that Abrams is that person. I think that she doesn't help add anything to the ticket but could actually hurt it.

I honestly think picking Abrams would be a Palin-esque mistake.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why did everyone drop out?

4. biina

biina Member

Klobucher or Whitman pick would probably help in the midwest.

Dont see Kamala adding much to the ticket

5. Nook

Nook Member

Harris would be a terrible choice. She doesn't do well with black voters as she panders and is viewed as entirely too self interested.

She isn't going to do well with the Sanders/Biden wing of the party based on her past record.

She isn't going to deliver any support in the Midwest or any contentious states.

She isn't even a neutral choice, she is overall a negative choice.

Hypothetically she could deliver professional female voters but there are a half dozen other female candidates that would do as well or better in that demographic.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My thoughts exactly.

The NM governor is intriguing.

I think I am leaning to a hispanic pick for VP, preferably a female.

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

What I can say about Abrams is that she is incredibly shrewd and bright. She would make good impressions on television and in a debate. She also has extremely strong grass root connections and would be potentially instrumental in getting traditionally black church groups out to vote and older black voters.

Luckily the democrats are blessed to have a number of very talented women capable of doing a great job as VP. This is likely the strongest group of female legislators ever.

baller4life315, RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This..

Believe me I wasn't happy when Buttigieg and then Klobuchar dropped out right before I was going to vote. Bloomberg, Warren and Sanders were all still in on Super Tuesday and they all got beat. Bloomberg and Warren got wiped with the floor, Sanders hung in there but it was a crushing upset to him as the titulary front runner at the time.

ElPigto and Nook like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This, and Bernie had pretty much consolidated the progressive wing of the vote. I'm not sure where Elizabeth Warren stumbled; maybe when she came across as "I don't actually have a plan for that" when asked about Medicare for all (not that Sanders was forthcoming when asked how we'd pay for it, either).

Biden was one of many moderates splitting the vote. Then SC Representative Jim Clyburn gave an impassioned endorsement for Biden. Klobuchar and Buttigieg knew their goose was cooked and got out, quickly backing Biden. And that was it. Barack Obama has some loooooooooong coat-tails in the African American community.

I hope Biden chooses well, because.....
    "Joe, turn off the TV. You have to give the State of the Union address."
    "What? Is Barack sick?"
    "Honey....you're the President."
    "Did something happen to Barack?!"
    "Here.....come on, let's get you dressed. (Fred, can you go get his medicine?)"

Corrosion likes this.
  10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Definitely not advocating for Kamala, just saying making the prediction that’s who he chooses. Biden has hinted several times she’s going to be a finalist, and she’s leading on all of the betting websites I’ve seen.

@leroy I answered the why Abrams question a few posts above. I think Biden needs to swing for the fences and do something bold. Some of the names being discussed feel safe or underwhelming to me. Abrams brings a lot more to the table than you or @Mr.Scarface are giving her credit for.

And comparing her to Sarah Palin is crazy. This is a Yale educated lawyer and author. I’m sure she understands basic civics, knows where Germany is and can answer softball questions in an interview. I’m willing to bet she knows Joe Biden’s name isn’t Joe O’Biden.

I’d encourage you and others talking about experience to keep in mind that many of the names being discussed are first-term Senators (Kamala, Duckworth), Governors (Whitmer, Lujan Grisham) and Congresswomen (Demings, Escobar). You guys can’t have it both ways.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Abrams needs to actually WIN something first. Biden is serving ONE - Term. He needs someone with experience as his VP. Abrams needs seasoning.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

So your baseline requirement is winning at least one election of some kind? Interesting.

Are all of those others I mentioned serving their first term ready for that reason? That’s all it takes?

13. Major

Major Member

But I think this difference matters - the issues that you deal with in the Senate or as a Governor are different than as a House Rep, even as minority leader. The governors are demonstrating that with coronavirus. Senators deal with national issues on a regular basis - they meet with world leaders, etc. I don't think the Congresswomen have much of a shot. Even if it's just an issue of perception, it's a big one.

I disagree that Biden needs to go bold. He's the favorite in this race, and he's done it largely by being the anti-Trump: steady, calming, etc. He's basically given GOPers and conservative independents who are skeptical of Trump no reason to fear him. I think that's the core of his campaign philsophy - he's not trying to excite the left, but instead trying to consolidate an anti-Trump middle.

Rashmon and jiggyfly like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not saying you were advocating, just wanted to know what you thought she would bring as a VP pick?

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That was actually funny, nice.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When was the last time a VP actually won a presidential election after the incumbent?

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Well....Since Biden is in his late 70s, there is always the "die by natural causes" factor. Same with Trump. The VP is very important.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I still am holding out hope for Yang haha

but , agree that it will likely be one of the bigger (female) names being tossed around

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

1988 (and if the Supreme Court rules differently, 2000).

20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

If you like Sherrod Brown, there's a new article in Rolling Stone interviewing him this week. I posted part of it below that deals with Biden, but it's a good read throughout.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...-coronavirus-joe-biden-bernie-sanders-980439/

Senator Sherrod Brown Knows How to Save the Soul of the Democratic Party
    The populist Ohio senator passed on running for president. But he has a few ideas on how to deal with the coronavirus, defeat Trump, and elect Joe Biden in November

Did it surprise you to see Biden have such a good night [on Super Tuesday]? Or were those “Biden is done” narratives wrong?
    A little of both. He’s so well known. He’s very well-liked among voters and among party activists. Not necessarily their first choice, maybe. But personally, he’s very well-liked. People all have seen his empathy, borne in part — I’m making too much of this, perhaps — the same way Franklin Roosevelt had such empathy, because of his personal life. Few people have suffered as much as Joe Biden. People know that about him: that you either turn bitter from that tragedy or you grow and have great empathy. That’s the Joe Biden that people like. They know what they’re getting.

Was this the quote-unquote Democratic establishment lining up behind Joe Biden? Or is it Democratic voters finally saying, “OK, we think Joe Biden is going to be our guy”?
    I don’t know what the Democratic establishment is. It’s not a bunch of people in a back room that made all those people in South Carolina and made all those people in Texas and Minnesota and Massachusetts and Tennessee and North Carolina and Arkansas and Oklahoma vote for Biden. I know that some are going to characterize the Democratic establishment as pushing him over, but this was huge numbers of voters that made their decision.

What did you think seeing these stories that said you were going to be a white-knight savior of a divided Democratic Party?
    I’m flattered, I guess, but the voters will work their will, and we’ll have a nominee, and our nominee is going to beat Trump. I’m confident of that, increasingly confident of that.

What is your theory for how this president won in 2016? And how does that inform the Democratic Party nominee defeating the president in 2020?
    First of all, he lied to people about protecting Social Security and Medicare. He sold people a phony populism to make them feel like he was on their side, and then he betrayed them. He uses racism and bigotry to divide people to distract from the fact that he’s used the White House to enrich himself and his family. Populism’s never racist. It doesn’t push some people down to lift others up. We fight his phony populism with real populism that fights for all people. That’s what the whole dignity-of-work message is about. That’s where Trump has just missed it. It may have paid off for him in ’16, but it’s not going to pay off for him again.