1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If I am not a Trump person? Really?

There is no doubt I am not a Trump person all you have to do is look at my history.

I very much believe that Trump is a danger to the country but he won the last election and the 25th amendment is not a tool to get rid of a president because you disagree with them, his danger to the country is not because of diminished capacity its because he is a power hungry, greedy SOB who knows exactly what he is doing.

I don't think you really know what the 25th amendment actually says and you just want Trump gone at all cost, I don't have an issue with that sentiment but it's not realistic.

The 25th amendment is not a tool to get rid of President the election is.

So how do you see Trump being removed by the 25th amendment?

Take us through how it could happen.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thanks for explaining this in detail.

So it's harder to invoke the 25th amendment than it is impeachment.

It's a pipe dream.

London'sBurning likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So Trump has business interests in the Malaria drug, what a shock.

DD

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. biina

biina Member

Firstly, "if you are not a Trump person" was referring to the entire electorate and not you or anyone in particular.

The 25th amendment (section 4 to be specific) does provide a tool to remove a president from office if the need arises without waiting till the next election. That a president has been elected does not mean we need to wait for 4yrs while he does things inimical to the country. After all, if certain actions are not checked early enough, the damage could become irreversible.

The provision itself requires the VP and majority of the cabinet (all presumably selected by the president himself) to deem the president 'unable' to discharge the powers and duties of his office. The reason for being 'unable' is subject to interpretation, but working in his self-interest instead of the interest of the citizens (e.g. letting thousands dies for his own interests) would qualify as being 'unable' to perfrom his duties as chief citizen imo.

Contrary to your assumption, while I have nothing against it, I really dont want to Trump to be removed from office outside an election, cos that would be letting those who voted him into office off too lightly. Also the election would give an evaluation of those who let him into office are willing to double down on it.

Elections have consequences and people should feel the impact of their choices.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My assumption is entirely based on you implying that the 25th amendment should be enacted to remove Trump.

If we agree that he should be removed by election why are you pressing me?

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Wondering why Navarro is coming out of the shadows?

Trump was warned in January of Covid-19's devastating impact, memos reveal

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

What part?

Yes, we are a major funder of the WHO, but even combining assessed and voluntary contributions to WHO, the U.S. contributes 17% of the WHO's funding. Is is point we shouldn't be major funder of the WHO?

https://www.kff.org/global-health-p...government-and-the-world-health-organization/

Is the WHO "china centric"? What does that even mean? Does that mean trump thinks WHO favors china?

Even if you move on to his statement about ignoring their advice and his "closing" the borders to china, hundreds of thousands of people from china still came to the U.S. So trump only partially shut the border, and even then, it was closing the barn door after the horses ran out.

And by then members of his own cabinet were already preparing reports on the impact of COVID-19 on our economy and our medical response. All the while trump was telling Americans it was no big deal, that it was contained, that it would magically go away.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

WHO is corrupt and only named it a pandemic in mid March I believe. They've been carrying China's water for a while now and everyone can see it.

"In December, the WHO refused to act on or publicize Taiwan’s warning that the new respiratory infection emerging in China could pass from human to human. In mid January, despite accumulating evidence of patients contracting what we now know as COVID-19 from other people, the organization repeated the CCP’s lie that there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission. In January the WHO, at Beijing’s behest, also blocked Taiwan from participating in critical meetings to coordinate responses to the coronavirus and even reportedly provided wrong information about the virus’s spread in Taiwan."

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Unfortunately, it's not a pandemic until after the fact...

10. biina

biina Member

The best thing for the country is for him to be removed ASAP before he does irreparable damage (if he hasnt already).

My preference is that he is removed by an election (for reason stated above), but I am quite fine with any other option that gets him out of office, and really dont care if his supporters are upset or not.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I will admit I am not knowledgeable about WHO and assuming what you say is true, how does that in any way excuse the moves trump made? Especially if what you say is true and everyone could see the WHO was reporting false information?

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait what?

Again what exactly do you disagree with what I have said?

I don't care if his supporters are upset either, my entire point has been is that I don't think the 25th amendment is warranted, expedient or doable.

What is your issue with what I have said?

13. biina

biina Member

I do believe the 25th amendment is warranted to prevent the country ending up in civil war (cos that is the end result of persistent polarization and division) and the longer Trump remains in office, the closer the country would be to the edge.

You also raised the issue of those that didnt 'pick a side'. It is really a choice between Trump and country with no fence to sit on.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok I see you just want to vent and your argument is all over the place.

I think invoking the 25th amendment would push the country closer to civil war.

You keep saying the longer Trump remains in office but say you want him to be removed by the election how do you think it can be accomplished quicker?

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What’s the point of firing the IG overseeing the largest stimulus in history?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. biina

biina Member

My position is clear: remove ASAP is the best choice (feasibility a different debate) for the country but not my preferred choice.

I dont think the 25th would move us closer to civil war cos it would require member of his own cabinet and party to turn against him. That would leave only his blind supporters who I dont think are enough to start a civil war.

His actions on the other hand can pit the interest and self preservation of one half of the country against another. For example, is the rumored politicizing of the distribution of medical supplies to political allies and personal friends, which could leave those areas devasted by the pandemic feeling aggrieved enough to no longer want to be part of the federation. That is the kind of things that lead to civil war imo.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

50% approval rating during a national crisis isn't a good sign. There is a natural rally around the Flag mentality and the Modern Presidency is made for national crisis. The President is the one individual that can monopolize coverage and wield the power the of the Executive branch. GW Bush wasn't an inspiring leader yet his approval rating was in the 90's following 9/11. Even during Katrina he was still over 50%. This is another example of how much Trump has lowered the bar for the Presidency that getting over 50% approval is considered a major achievement.

Nook, JayGoogle and RayRay10 like this.
  19. PeppermintCandy

Maybe so that there is less oversight and more freedom for Trump's handpicked subordinates to do what they please?

And reportedly the guy who is replacing the outgoing IG for the stimulus will be pulling double duty as the IG for the EPA, which is another area Trump probably wouldn't want much oversight for. Meaning this new IG will likely be spread too thin to keep a close watch on both at the same time.

It just works out too well to be a mere coincidence.

#1919 PeppermintCandy, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what in your opinion is the fastest way to remove Trump?