1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Dick Burr Selling Stocks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He has a 16 page thread about Joe Biden's sexual assault going so I'd say he's pretty good at it.

snowconeman22 and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

is it normal to set up a task force to investigate and to ban travel from a region for something you don't believe? I'm not necessarily sure which reports he was meant to believe though? there were reports going in every direction, the WHO was even saying that there wasn't human to human transmission (lol), all of them? none of them? some of them? how does he or anyone pick which one? You might want to actually look at what those sporadic, highly inconsistent, reports rather than blending hindsight with TDS, no one knew much about this virus until it started hitting Europe because the Chinese lied about everything and the WHO played b****, they're still holding their water about wet markets despite their own research universities saying the opposite prior to it hitting the rest of the world.

The type of bat this comes from wasn't sold at their markets, doesn't live anywhere near them, happened to be in two different biolabs in Wuhan and the chinese government issued a memorandum on biolab security shortly after the outbreak, because it was totally food from a wet market.

Perhaps if the US president isn't supposed to ignore the Taiwanese prime minister to avoid offending the Chinazis he might have gotten someone more tapped in? Essentially start with the assumption that China lies about everything, always like they do.

#82 Aleron, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The WHO sent out a tweet on the first week of January about the human to human transmission, that was obviously wrong less than a week later.

On February 5th there was a top secret briefing where the Senate intelligence committee saw the same information Trump had at that point.

Democrats left that meeting and sounded the alarm that the President wasn't taking it seriously. Chris Murphy began shouting from the rooftops that we needed to get supplies ready.

Republican Senators dumped all of their stock and said "Everything is under control."

Trump continued to say it was the flu.

Trump fans live in a bizarre world where they dismiss facts and the only thing that is true is what Trump says is true THAT DAY.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Profiting on confidential info received in a senate briefing is reprehensible enough, but her defense: Her active portfolio reflects a woman of immense wealth who is confident in the market: and came to Washington on a promise to be a different kind of elected official.

Loeffler reports more stock sales amid insider trading allegations

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--reg...r-trading-allegations/YFPDT3pChO873nuzNKa44K/

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

She should get Tea Partied or something.

Swamp and Feather them all!
    Drill Baby Drill!!
    Don't Tread On Me!!
    Four Score and Seven Years Ago!!

Snarkrage aside, her chances of getting prosecuted convicted and/or impeached convicted are likely lower than Dem's own Bob "I can do you a favor" Menendez.

Forgot about him? Apparently if you're able to ride out the shame, power is power...Money is money. At that point, it's the electorate's fault for dropping the ball.

About that white collar reform bill....

#85 Invisible Fan, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You’d think with all that moola she could afford better PR

Unfortunately , our system is such that these guys will get off with a wrist slap ... the best realistic outcome is that they get voted out of office next election and have to go live as private citizens with enormous wealth

I haven’t checked in on this story in a while , but the punishment needs to be far worse than a little fine or small jail time . We need to code of hammburabi throwback . I’d say strip of assets and cut off a hand .

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pringles, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

White collar crime enforcement is so low that if you're going to get caught, do it until they kick you out. Or if you're privileged, negotiate a fat buyout.

Works everywhere because the only "punishment" these days is a scandal a fickle public has to pick up, and companies rather bury the story than use some "image consulting" firm on a retainer to make a molehill out of a mountain.

London'sBurning likes this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Now is the worst time to do something like this. It's straight up immoral but a ton of people who don't normally watch the news are paying attention...we'll see come November.

11. NewRoxFan

She was appointed to the seat (so there is no real reason to keep her, the than the embarrassment of appointing her) ... I suspect the GA republicans will primary her out if she stays through the rest of her term, since there are a lot of unqualified republicans in GA for them to choose from (after all, they found her).

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I mean if the worst punishment that happens to a CEO that encourages fraud among his employees is being chewed out on national TV opposed to actual prison sentences, then I'd happily sell out knowing the government will do nothing but wag their finger at me and tell me what a bad boy I've been as I drive home in my six figure vehicle to a multi-million dollar mansion.

Or amassing enough of a conglomerate of businesses that are economically considered too big to fail, and then really ramp up the fraudulent activity, as the U.S. government will bail them out, because they're left with no choice.

I mean what are your choices really if you're a politician aiming for re-election? Let a company commit fraud that's too big to fail, and be a political headline that lets tens of thousands of employees get laid off and lose their pensions sending the economy into a downward spiral, or let that fraud happen because it temporarily inflates the stock market numbers, making a politician's administration look good, until the company is caught, then give them some lip service but essentially do nothing and repeat business as usual. You get your news headlines of being a politician that pointed fingers but essentially did nothing, making you look good to your constituency in a photo op and twitter sound bites, while continuing to receive whatever benefits you get from insider trading and legal loop holes lobbyists can still do to influence political favor.

If this was the system in place, and you're Wells Fargo, Citibank, BofA or monopolies like Spectrum, why wouldn't you maximize your profits by doing fraudulent activity knowing the government will do nothing to really oppose you? In fact, they'll give you money to bail you out of the predicament you deliberately got yourself in as long as you pay it back in interest, because as CEO you can hold the well being of your employees' livelihood hostage to the government and leverage your abhorrent behavior to gain monetary favor. And the price you pay for it is being chewed out by some politician on C-SPAN that citizens will forget when the next scandal of the week surfaces and gets all the shiny attention.

#92 London'sBurning, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Senator

Senator Member

But democrats didn't want any of the smarter, wholesome candidates... they want Biden and Clinton. Looking in the miorror, what does that say? Are you more to blame for Trump being elected than a "few rednecks" in South Carolina?

dachuda86 likes this.
  14. Senator

Senator Member

Loeffler needs to be in jail, her breaking of the law in a position of power married to a position of power for the sole purpose of doing this.... is some kind of bragging right amongst those who inherit wealth. If this country resembles anything close to a democracy, we need to see companies go bankrupt (others in the market pick up the slack and consolidate, life goes on) and politicians held accountable for financial crimes.

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I dunno how you got anything partisan out of my post where I didn't even mention Trump. I didn't even mention Biden or Clinton. It was more of an observation in hindsight about the 2008 economic crisis and how certain banking institutions were so big that they were considered too big to fail by our government, despite committing fraud with the housing market.

It set a precedent that if you are a monopoly, instead of having ethical business practices, it's better to maximize profits by doing illicit activities that the government will bail out on, because they have to, to prevent economic collapse from the same illicit activities that got them in economic collapse in the first place.

I say this in hindsight, but I still remember the 2008 crisis. Back then I was supportive of the bail out as it helped prevent further economic catastrophe. It's just, we're seeing the consequences of that bailout where instead of more stringent regulations to prevent un-ethical business practices, it's more business as usual, which isn't a good thing.

I'm not naive where I don't expect even the "good" politicians to dip their hands in the honey pot. Everyone is getting theirs. It's just to what degree, and how much does that influence bad policy?

As far as me being more to blame for Trump than the people that voted for him, I don't know how you get that spin. I didn't and will never vote Trump. How I'm to blame for him being President instead of the suckers that did is beyond me. Seems like an attempt at deflection for trusting Trump to actually be a capable President. FWIW, I think if Hillary did win in 2016, I do think the U.S. would be better off right now.

Basically everything Trump supporters accused Hillary of, Trump has done the same but worse. He downplayed the attack on U.S. soldiers in Iran after threatening to escalate a war with Iran on Twitter, then cowered to them like a coward and threw soldiers under the bus. That seems far worse than Benghazi. His Trump University has been the subject of lawsuits again from fraudulent business practices. He appointed zero political experience family members to cabinet positions and are doing awfully like Jared Kushner. His involvement with finding peace plans in the Middle East has been atrocious as well as his handling of his public health crisis.

I'll never forget when in Trump's first year he threatened to disband CHIP in order to get his ****ing wall built. That's only 9 million American children born in poverty with chronic illnesses whose lives he was playing around with for the sake of a ****ing vanity wall.

I mean he cut 7 billion in funding of CHIP which was received with bipartisan support and was the brainchild of 1st Lady Hillary Clinton. What single policy has Trump done in his 4 years that's greater than what Hillary did in the 90s as 1st lady? I'm serious. What has he done to truly benefit struggling Americans like what Hillary did in the 90s with CHIP?

Do you know how much a positive headline like getting bipartisan support for legislation that would actually benefit struggling Americans would boost Trump's ratings? Like, if he was actually a good President that passed policies that truly helped struggling Americans, he'd be a shoe in for re-election. He's been so awful though, he ruined a thriving economy, made infectious disease easier to spread which will kill and/or debilitate American lives, and continues to sit on his hands while state legislators do their best to manage this mess. He's been a ****ing disaster.

Invisible Fan, B-Bob and Jayzers_100 like this.
  16. shorerider

shorerider Member

17. NewRoxFan

18. Senator

Senator Member

Not sure what you're babbling about, and I don't have the time to read it. Thanks for continuing to be out of touch and giving this country 4 more years of Trump. That's a huge blow to the planet and human long term health as well.

19. Senator

Senator Member

20. HROZ

HROZ Member

Tbh should be insider trading kinda stupid it isn't.