1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a gun.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wrong- I have a mastiff and his food alone costs more in a year than the guns I own. Then there’s vet bills, anti heart worm meds, training costs and the time investment to spend time with the dog (although it worth it). I agree though, for home protection and prevention his bark is worth more than 100 guns.

But I can’t take him to the store.

My two biggest concerns are late night home invasion (which the dog being out helps greatly with) and getting jacked when I’m out and about, so I now have the pistol.

2. Asian Sensation

Are there a lot of home invasions and jackings where you live?

3. Xerobull

Not historically, but, 20% unemployment hasn't been historical either. People get desperate, criminals get emboldened during chaos (see NOLA during Katrina). Better safe than sorry.

RedRedemption and Corrosion like this.
  4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Home defense: Remington 870 express magnum or Mossberg 590a1. If you want a handgun, a Glock 19x or Smith and Wesson R8 (ttr8) .357 large frame revolver. Any of these options are “for life” guns. Stick with these for home defense. Don’t worry about “jamming” or magazine wearing out for Glocks.

5. omgTHEpotential

How about a horse tranquilizer instead?

[​IMG]

6. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I’ve been playing Call of duty warzone.. and I must say. I want a ak47 and a rocket launcher as my secondary. Never know when you need to shoot down a plane

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I'm not a gun expert but I was led to believe revolvers were less likely to jam (not impossible, granted). I think the ease of use is another factor. Not that a pistol is hard to learn, but I found pointing and shooting a revolver simpler than sliding back a semi-auto to chamber a round first

Corrosion likes this.
  8. marky :)

marky :) Member

With ranges not open and I'm assuming you haven't been to one(if i'm wrong then my apologies), go to an actual store to buy one. Ask them to show you all that is needed to use it and safety precautions. IMO its hard to buy a gun you'll like without having shot it before. But if you really need/want one go to a store.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Remington 870

#29 Corrosion, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

A lot of .357 revolvers can also shoot .38 rounds. Just not the other way around.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

If they can legalize open carry I should be able to carry my 90lb lab in a backpack in public

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Nevermind if the situation should occur, there are a hundred different ways the situation can go more wrong wielding a gun than not having one at all.

I dont get the TP hoarding, but its much more logical than buying a gun for self defense when a person has no idea how to use a weapon in a high stressed situation. Its much more complicated than pulling it from your waist band and pointing it at the intruder and killing him. Forgot to put a bullet in a chamber? you and your family are dead. Forgot to take the safety off? You and your family are dead. Didn't seat the mag all the way. you and your family are dead. Your child comes running around the corner and you're not trained to identify and process the situation, your child is dead.

At least with a 5 year supply of TP, you can use it over the next 5 years. Maybe it could be a fire hazard?

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

for home defense id start with a shotgun. easy to load, shoot, maintain and clean. also, its probably the only type of ammo you can reliably get right now. i went to cabellas a couple weeks ago and they had no 9mm ammo. and as far as shotgun shells, they had no buckshot or slugs. just birdshot. but honestly, i think birdshot is fine for home defense. getting blasted in the chest or face from 10'-20' feet with #8 is more than likely going to kill. and if you are firing buckshot in your house you risk it going through two or three walls and potentially hitting someone else in the house or even going through your neighbors wall.

also, buying a gun right now is going to be slim pickins. you should be able to find a good 12 gauge somewhere though. short barrel (18.5''-20'') is preferable for home defense, but really anything will do the trick.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have several of both .... a S&W 38sp that was my grandfathers service revolver - he was a cop post WWII until he left for Korea , a Taurus 50 , a Colt 22 Frontier Scout and multiple semi auto's - most notably a Colt .45 1911 gold cup.

I'm confident in either or getting the job done and never had one jam but the ease of shooting a single action revolver .... its point and shoot.

My mother is in her 70's and is a small woman , she carries a Colt Mustang Lite .380 - Its so small I can literally hide it in my hand , It weighs something like 11 oz. Its perfect for people of small stature.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. Xerobull

From what I have read, it's easy to get a 'service dog' certification. It's one of the pitfalls I was warned about when I started buying rent houses, a way for people to circumvent pet restrictions.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

Is being a landlord your primary occupation? How's that going right now?

17. cebunit

cebunit Member

Listen to this advice right here.

May I add that just because you like the build/look of a gun, it may turn out to not be right for you. The ergonomics, how it fires, accuracy, etc. Go with a 9mm. And practice, practice, practice.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

PKM with extended mag would be SWEEET.

On the dogs vs guns debate. You need a gun to protect your dog. Cops shoot dogs. They'll jump a fence for whatever reason, or enter a home, a dog will charge, and they shoot. Cop shoots my dog I'm shooting back.

I don't own a gun. But I'm all for the right to.

19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Bold statement. Wouldn’t turn out well unfortunately

20. Xerobull

Nope, just a revenue stream. I put maybe 10 minutes a month in to it, unless there's a vacancy then it's about 5 hours. So far, holding steady.

CCity Zero and HTM like this.