1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting information. The PRC pig industry was devastated by a disease in late 2019 . I have not heard much discussion about a link between that pig plague and COVID 19.

Deckard and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No one is above criticism. Take it to the D&D if you want to debate these things in more depth (lol on depth but anyway).

BTW, you know this - Twitter and today quick flashy news are terrible when (which is often) context is left out. It's straight misleading when done on purpose. (There has been a concerted effort to attack Fauci because he corrected Trump many times)

I recall Fauci saying that in Jan. He did not say it's not a major threat to the US. He say it's not a major threat to the people and not something the citizens of the US should be worried about right now.

His public interactions: https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/director-in-the-news?page=1

1/27/20 on fox news: (paraphrasing) to the public, don't worry go on with your flight but there are restriction as right now it's out of hand in China, specifically in Wuhan. While I say that to the public, officials (like him) need to take this very seriously as this can easily go beyond china and get out of control. I hope it doesn't.

Houstunna and RayRay10 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Likely not. That is the menu we know of.

Live wolf pups, foxes, civets.

No sight of larger carnivores, felidae groups like lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cougars, cheetahs......

I think you should research the Guilin province, Yunnan province and Canton province. (which are all in the South)

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-on-breeding-tigers-to-profit-from-body-parts

They have exotic species. (Older article though.)

Wuhan and Hubei province are relatively unknown for this, so many were caught off guard.

#5583 daywalker02, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Houstunna and malakas like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Can anyone recommend a good news source that states like....facts? I dont care what Trump or Biden did I just want to know what the virus is doing. CNN and Foxnews are both just gossip news at this point.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think maybe chron.com is where it's at

Houstunna likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Chron or random youtubers

Jontro likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

What does this menu photo say, except from what is pictured?
    It could be a ferret or a wild species of cat?

But not civet cat like Sars because this was already checked.

So far they have found that
    ". We found that SARS-CoV-2 replicates poorly in dogs, pigs, chickens, and ducks, but efficiently in ferrets and cats. We found that the virus transmits in cats via respiratory droplets."

Add to that tigers and lions as proved by the Bronx zoo.

Although SARS-CoV-2 shares 96.2% identity at the nucleotide level with the coronavirus RaTG13, which was detected in horseshoe bats (Rhinolophus spp) in Yunnan province in 2013 (3), it has not previously been detected in humans or other animals
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.30.015347v1.full.pdf

They will find the intermediate species.

These studies are important because animals could become reservoir of infections as the study says.

It's just that phylogenetic studies that normally could take 10 years now need to be made asap.

Nook likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

@Houstunna

You were asking about the temperature to destroy the virus if I remember correctly. IN case you haven't found yet here

5 mins at 70C.

Here you can see more details also about surfaces:
    https://covidpapers.github.io/posts/stability-of-sars-cov-2-in-different-environmental-conditions/

It takes about 4 days to die for sure on banknotes on its own
    It can remain 7 days on masks.

The hotter is the temperature in your house the less time it can survive. Good news with summer coming.

In August where we have 35-37 C there will no danger of catching it from a fomite outside since it will get killed off in like 1 day and that's without taking into account the sun rays.

#5588 malakas, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  9. Major

Major Member

Important note from that study:

The inoculated objects retrieved at desired time-points were immediately soaked with 200 μL of virus transport medium for 30 mins to elute the virus. Therefore, this recovery of virus does not necessarily reflect the potential to pick up the virus from casual contact.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

BBC.

RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

What a scary proposition.

H.I.V. lasts MINUTES. Not hours. Not days. MINUTES.

Be careful everyone. We're all in this together.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

iShield?

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

CNN calls out every Trump slip up - which is important. But they definitely make bigger deals out of minor issues when there isn't something egregious to focus on. Just keep that in mind and you're aight. Fox News is pure fantasy.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I drove by Voodoo Donuts this weekend and it was packed ass-to-ass inside. Someone report them.

Nook likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

I've felt strongly since the beginning that Houston and Texas are really suppressing the cases here. I look for info on cases in Houston and rarely find anything on the local news websites. Just generalized stuff.

Got word of an employee at the HEB in Katy that has it. This isn't going anywhere and assuming that everything will go back to normal soon is just fallacy.

Ziggy and RayRay10 like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

here in continental europe it's basically the only american news channel we get and it pisses me off they focus on trump 24/7 making every news story somehow tied to him. i just wanna watch the regular actual news lol

Ziggy, Mazulis, Astrodome and 2 others like this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@robbie380 shared a good source for tracking number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths ... to get a good summary of tracking our attempts to "flatten the curve" and see the apex.

here

robbie380 likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Suppressing how/what?

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Two coworkers put on 14 day quarantine at my work since they live together + with someone who got tested positive. No change at work = business as usual.