1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Release of inmates from county jail

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Mar 31, 2020.

1. fattz

fattz Member

April 30th will make it a year ago.

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Stay safe man, sounds like you went thru a hell of an ordeal.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad you didn't kill him. I can tell that you are too. I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that. It sounds really scary.

I am very glad you survived. I can't imagine what a horrible experience that must have been for you.

4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

If you slice a perpetrator in half with a katana is that liability?

5. fattz

fattz Member

The reason I shared is not only is my life different but my thought process is, too. I didn’t choose for it happen it just did. The guy was walking around in Montgomery County the next day. When he chose my house he didn’t know me or my family; he cares nothing about us. I am sure he is going to find a different place but there is a family there too so the process / problem was not fixed. Letting criminals out into society is never going to be productive. The officer said he would have killed him. I thought he was cruel but know I understand his position. For the record I do not regret anything I did.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Curious if he had a weapon or was unarmed ?

When I was a kid we had a similar situation , guy broke in while we were home and my step dad held him at gunpoint until the cops showed up.
    Our home had been broken into twice prior to that ....

That happened back in the early 70's .... with the way the cops seem to be so trigger happy today , I wonder if it would have played out the same way today.

7. fattz

fattz Member

He was unarmed.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, it has to be due to the few people released. Doesn't have anything to do with tens and tens of thousands being laid off.
    The folks getting out are in many cases not exactly in for life, so it would be best even for the scared and uniformed that have posted above if they did not get Corona in jail. They could possibly infect yo and I..

pgabriel likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Agreed but it does seem they need to improve the vetting process of the people they release

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There are 25 inmates in Harris County Jail with the coronavirus. The jail holds approximately 10,000 inmates

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

wut

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Having a weapon you can't immediately fire or access in the moment of a crisis .... is pointless.

Consider -

You have a trigger lock , you have to remove it , that takes time.

It's locked in a safe , you have to open it , that takes time.

Time is something you don't have in a situation like that , you don't know if they are armed or how far they may or may not go.

If you cannot immediately access your weapon , you are probably better off not having one and running away and calling the police ...

fattz likes this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks Lina, thanks Judges, thanks Mayor. At least you told them to "just chill" 'til it's over and then they can go back to being criminals.

“The best way to help police officers is to not commit a crime,” Turner told reporters during a press conference on his city’s latest efforts to combat the deadly illness. “Until the coronavirus is resolved, criminals, take a break.”

“Stay home and don’t commit any crimes. That way, they will stay safe and out of jail and police offers will stay safe and go home to there families,” the mayor added. “Crooks, criminals, you chill.”

https://abc13.com/recently-released-inmates-accused-of-new-crimes/6106875/

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A man beat his ex-girlfriend and threw her grandmother to the ground two weeks after he was released from jail on a low bond after being arrested for a violent crime, according to Harris County records.

Timothy Singleton, 31, has a warrant out for his arrest.

Two weeks ago, he was released from jail after paying $50 on a $500 bond. The bond was controversial because he has violent convictions. Most recently he was accused of pulling a gun out on his aunt's neighbor.

At his first court appearance at the end of March, Magistrate Jennifer Gaut and prosecutor Karen Barney had a heated exchange about the bond amount.

Barney requested a $50,000 bond based on his criminal history. Gaut ultimately explained COVID-19 concerns in the jail were driving her decisions.

District Judge Chris Morton upheld the bond. The Harris County District Attorney's Office was in the midst of an appeal when Singleton allegedly committed another violent crime.

"This is exactly what we predicted. What we were fearful of," said Andy Kahan, director of victim services at Crime Stoppers.

On Wednesday morning, Singleton attacked his ex-girlfriend at her house in Acres Homes, according to Houston police. After breaking in, he "pummeled" her and "ripped out her weave." Records said he also threw her grandmother to the ground and then took off.

Gaut, who set the low bond, declined to comment. Morton also did not respond.

Singleton benefited from the effort to thin out the jail population in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.

Quaran Pope, 21 did, too. Pope was released by way of an emergency order issued by County Judge Lina Hidalgo before a District Judge halted it.

Pope was one of a dozen people accused of non-violent crimes with non-violent histories who were released April 3rd. On Wednesday night, he was back in jail, charged with a car break-in and stealing IDs and bank account numbers from three people. These are crimes for which he's previously been convicted.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...oronavirus-order-back-in-jail-on-new-charges/

Hidalgo also responded to the re-arrest of Pope.

“We don’t make policy according to headlines. You can’t be a hundred percent certain of everything. We’d have to arrest everybody in Harris County to make sure nobody is going to get in any sort of trouble,” said Hidalgo.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Just anecdotal. Many of these former inmates are also leading the fight against coronavirus.