1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trump on arenas and stadiums being full again: “I can’t tell you a date but I think it’s going to be sooner rather than later.”

Asked about August/September being a realistic timeframe for a return to live sports, Trump says “I’m not committing to it” but says it would be great if we could be back by then. Acknowledges it’ll depend on what the data says.

On his daily press briefing just now @GavinNewsom tells me flatly re #NFL starting season on time w/fans in stands in the CA stadiums: "I’m not anticipating that happening in this state."

More from @GavinNewsom on #NFL reopening on time as Trump urges: CA would not feel comfortable reopening stadiums until we "have the appropriate community surveillance and testing" to identify who's infected and "that’s not something I anticipate happening in the next few months"

California Governor Gavin Newsom's full response when asked if he anticipated the NFL to open in August or September with full stadiums:
    [​IMG]

RayRay10 and Amiga like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've heard Trump speak on this topic reasonably a few times. And more importantly Fauci. They've both alluded to models being an imperfect science. You have different sets. And you try to make the best assessment using the resources you have. And it cant be an easy thing to do when we've been incapable of capturing enough of the data we need from the get-go.

If you want to burn Trump for something there's plenty of other, more substantial reasons to do so out there.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is one of the reasons we're allowed to have guns. Because government, be it cops, mayors, governors or whoever - might not have our best interests in mind. Or in this case, they can put people's lives in danger because they're flat out stupid.

Mazulis likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You have to have swagger to pull off the wave. Obama can do the wave. Trump would be a nodder.

5. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Exiled likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I definetly wasn't trying to burn anyone. Just looking for some sort of signal of things possibly getting better?

These models remind me of hurricane cone projections and if the cone moves it's good news unless its a different model which is understandable.

7. raj87

raj87 Member

Mazulis likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think they were using a worst case scenario model. I think the number will be below 100k just from how I'm seeing the data come in from my extremely amateur perspective.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He walks in broad daylight.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  10. Exiled

Exiled Member

aside from logistics, compatibility and certain criteria
    CAR-Tc is a million dollars treatment per lymphoma's patient, after a lot of begging/petition we get 50k consultation fee waived

Mazulis likes this.
  11. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

:eek:

12. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

And apparently very rich.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this chart is going around that shows an improbable drop in pneumonia deaths this season

I don't know what to make of it, but we deserve an explanation from CDC/Fauci

[​IMG]

14. omgTHEpotential

Which week is week 11? Is it now? Could it be that staying at home prevented a lot of these pneumonia casualties?

Mazulis and CCity Zero like this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

currently 14th

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Based on the numbers I've been tracking I think the absolute worst is almost over for the US. I've been watching growth rate of deaths and it's declined for 5 days in a row now. From 27.5% -> 25.5% -> 23.1% -> 20.4% -> 19.4% today. 19.4% is the lowest increase since March 23. Also today testing skyrocketed again up to 216k tests processed. We had been stuck around 100k for awhile then moved up to 117k 2 days ago and hit 139k yesterday.

New York looks like it is close to peaking as well.

Outlier and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

that's quite a range... meaning, too many unknown

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ase-coronavirus-forecasts-are-very-far-apart/

This week’s survey, taken on March 30 and 31, shows that experts expect an average of 263,000 COVID-19-related deaths in 2020, but anywhere between 71,000 and 1.7 million deaths is a reasonable estimate. The researchers believe that only about 12 percent of all COVID-19 infections in the U.S. have been reported, and they don’t expect that the daily number of reported cases in New York state — which was most recently 7,917 — will drop below 1,000 until around the end of April.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The explanation he is seeking is the other years.

19. Major

Major Member

Do you even know if the chart is real? The chart suggests hundreds of thousands of people die yearly of pneumonia while we know the actual number is far less.

Here's a chart that's actually on the CDC website instead of an image hosting website:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S2

[​IMG]

Based on National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) mortality surveillance data available on March 26, 2020, 8.2% of the deaths occurring during the week ending March 21, 2020 (week 12) were due to P&I. This percentage is above the epidemic threshold of 7.2% for week 12.

While the percent of all deaths due to P&I has increased during weeks 9-12 (7.4-8.2%), the percent of all deaths with Influenza listed as a cause have decreased (from 1.0% to 0.8%) over this same time period. The increase in pneumonia deaths during this time period are likely associated with COVID-19 rather than influenza.

20. jacoby

jacoby Member

I live in NY and it's mayhem out here. In some neighborhoods, the only people left on the streets are the mentally ill.

Unfortunately, I just found out my buddy at work succumbed to the virus. :( Stay inside people.

Nook, Richie_Rich, Sajan and 3 others like this.