1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Prepper Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

go with the rifle. Much more useful after the scare dies down.

Nook likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

If you are a risky group hurry and go buy an oxymeter before they become impossible to find too.

Invisible Fan, Deckard and Nook like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

How many turduckens?

Next time you're there look for some sausage...the meat market up here gets stuff from them and from points east. I bought andouille for gumbo, but then saw other sausage: smoked pork and alligator, then crawfish boudin It's still in my freezer.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

After an initial run on stuff, the supermarkets around here (Southern California) have plenty of stuff, except, for some reason, eggs. Is it the same where you live?

And why eggs?

5. Buck Turgidson

Yes. Eggs and pinto beans are very hard to find in Central Texas.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Surely you have chickens or friends with chickens?

upload_2020-3-25_9-7-14.png

Buck Turgidson, B-Bob and Deckard like this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So when are TP and paper towels gonna be back in stock? This is getting silly.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

my guess is cooked eggs is one of the more efficient, ready-to-eat things to freeze.

something I'd do is buy a bunch of eggs, make a bunch of breakfast burritos, and freeze them. Quiche, too.

And if you like edibles, the best brownies have a ton of eggs in them. :)

plus, eggs would probably be high on the vegetarian prepper list for protein, etc.

Also, doesn't Easter season always have a run on eggs.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're fine on that stuff but we are getting low on baby wipes...you know, for actual babies. Places have been sold out and the Mrs witnessed a horde of people grab them by the handfuls. Meanwhile there was a mother with a baby in her arms trying to get some but got squeezed out. Mrs donkey don't play and she called them out...one person ended up giving the mom a pack. But seriously, WTF?! It's not like these are even the flushable kind. I wish plumbing troubles upon them.

CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm more than happy to share TP and baby wipes in Austin if anyone needs. The wife thought we were low on both so bought some when we had enough to get by. It's not Charmin, though. She was a Cottonelle person until I switched her over.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Alright folks, I know TP is hard to come by, but none of us have enough paper to clean up a sewage mess. Keep it simple - go into the shower if you have to.

B-Bob and FrontRunner like this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn! That is a must-have. I think we're ok on baby wipes. If you get really low I could spare some.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Got toilet paper and paper towels delivered by HEB this morning! That, and some form of almost everything we ordered. It’s a miracle! I may have to find a religion somewhere that’ll take me.

;-)

CCity Zero, Xerobull and FrontRunner like this.
  14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

So now that you've all prepped, any items that you forgot that you can recommend to us folks that may not have gotten it either? Can't believe I forgot condiments. Had lots of hotdogs and tuna but no relish or mayo to make tuna salad or anything to put on the dogs. It may have been posted before, but may have skipped over it somehow. Ordered some stock of it since (of course leaving it alone for several days and then sanitizing it).

Any other stuff that you've had shipped that you forgot initially?

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Price of eggs has recently tripled as well. Good think I bought 32oz of liquid eggs a month ago. They don't expire till this summer too.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Egg price. 20 large = $6.95 in Los Angeles. The price of other items stayed about the same.

Used to be that eggs are just about the least expensive animal protein out there. The math is different now.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

So...I ordered some masks from antidote supply, when this first started, and they still haven't arrived. I've received a few emails but nothing concrete so I'm think I got scammed. The same thing happened to me when I ordered some dumbbells...grrrr

Otherwise, I'm good, have masks and gloves, although some masks I ordered don't fit my big ass head...smh

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Start thinking and learn your prepper lessons from this round.

I fear the second wave will be stronger, so begin prepping for it now. Be as ready as you can. This goes doubly for those of you who live in places that are seeing outbreaks of stupidity among elected officials and others.

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I tend to agree...I think "re-opening" Texas is premature and will only prolong the devastation to the economy...

I'll be better prepared in the future, and I have to get a bigger place...

rimrocker likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson