1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You would think so but on Feb 3rd they were still saying no need to limit travel, everything is fine.

2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

So we are "expected" to wear facemasks when leaving the house. Are we expected to do this if waking with the family or jogging in the neighborhood? My toddler would never keep his on.

I'm glad this isn't legally enforced, but wanna be considerate of others.

How do you guys feel?

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

People aren't staying home enough. People won't be wearing masks either.

Next....

4. Major

Major Member

I think this data is really interesting too, but I do think there's another potential reverse explanation for it. It could be the NY doctors have so much more experience with this virus that they are better able to identify likely positives and thus are choosing who to test more efficiently. Here in Texas, many doctors may not have run into cases yet, so if a patient presents symptoms that sound reasonable, they might authorize a test.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

wasn't some poster arguing quite vociferously that wearing masks was useless a couple weeks back?

cheke64 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This was an observational study. Difficult to gather a ton of evidence from it but it does show that HCQ Zithromax isn’t a silver bullet for severe cases.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

The logistics are a nightmare.

What if you or your family don't have masks? Are you then compelled to buy some from people that are upselling them? Even if you just need to grab some quick groceries?

In the same vein, if the government doesn't make it a law (read: not punishable by law), then people will try to socially distance but won't care about wearing a mask out in public if they don't have any. Especially if they need to do something in public (like getting groceries).

TMac'n likes this.
  8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

All the papers I’ve seen say it would work better given early before cases become critical. This is going to skew observational studies as a lot of cases this is only given as a experimental last resort since it hasn’t been approved yet.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I read another study that concluded that the side effects / after-effects (cardiac problems) of taking anti-malarial drugs is bad enough that it's not recommended.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wear it in enclosed space - grocery store for example. In open space with many people as well but I would think you want to avoid any place with many ppl

#5390 Amiga, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  11. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

It was @YOLO I'm curious to see his response now towards wearing masks. I bought a 3M N95 mask on eBay 3-4 weeks ago in preparation for a newborn baby (who was just born a few days ago). I would have never risked me or my families life by not having one.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

an N95 and a regular face mask are two entirely different things. the same thing still applies that was posted previously.

#5392 YOLO, Apr 4, 2020
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

"Many systemic medications may cause retinal toxicity. One such commonly used medication for dermatologic and rheumatologic inflammatory conditions is hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), a chloroquine derivative. It is used to treat many diseases including malaria, rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus."

"Retinal toxicity from hydroxychloroquine is rare, but even if the medication is discontinued, vision loss may be irreversible and may continue to progress."

"Symptoms. Patients in earlier stages of hydroxychloroquine retinal toxicity usually do not experience symptoms, though the rare patient may note a paracentral scotoma that causes trouble with reading as well as diminished color vision. However, most patients usually notice symptoms only after scotomas have become severe. When allowed to advance, hydroxychloroquine retinal toxicity leads to loss of up to three visual functions: acuity, peripheral vision and night vision."

Risk for Toxicity
    Although it is not possible to predict which patients will develop retinal toxicity, high-risk characteristics include the following:

• daily dose greater than 400 mg (or, in people of short stature, a daily dosage over 6.5 mg/kg ideal body weight) or total cumulative dose of more than 1,000 g
    • medication use longer than five years
    • concomitant renal or liver disease (because the drug is cleared by both routes)
    • underlying retinal disease or maculopathy
    • age greater than 60 years.
    https://www.aao.org/eyenet/article/hydroxychloroquine-induced-retinal-toxicity

I've been on this stuff before. My doctor insisted I see my eye doctor frequently while on it. I want to say at least every month. Of course, people over 60 who will more than likely need the medication for COVID use are also more likely to have retinal toxicity and could lose their vision.

... but I love how even the doctors get on stage and say this drug has been in the market a long time. We know it well and aren't worried about it... LOL okay doc.

Nook, Houstunna and B-Bob like this.
  14. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Yes I agree there is a difference and I won't take any chances in a hospital where it could be considered a covid hotspot. We still have future follow up appointments for our newborn / wife in the same building.

Also, my wife and I felt like a douche for wearing one since we were getting remarks like "oh where did you get that?" and "you guys are lucky to find one of those" or "how much did you pay for that mask?".

Houstunna likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you were able to get your hands on an N95, for sure taking advantage of it. especially in your situation.

yall shouldn't feel that way. take those precautions

Houstunna likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think with regular cloth or whatever basic mask, you look at it as a way to protect others not yourself. It reduces the among of your junk spreading out far and wide (and potentially floating in enclosed space for some minutes). When everyone does that then you get some protection as well.

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well that was a nothingburger.

[​IMG]

#5397 J.R., Apr 4, 2020
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i posted previously that what it primarily helps is putting a barrier on yourself from spreading whatever you have if you're sick. but if you're actually sick you shouldn't be out and about anyway. it can help to a certain degree but nothing beats just not being out and about while sick.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's the HCQ plus the Zithromax that causes the arrhythmia problems. Not necessarily just the HCQ on it is own.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The problem is we continue to deal with a virus you can have and give to others while not exhibiting any symptoms for a number of days.

Richie_Rich, Nook and Ziggy like this.