1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Scheduled participants on call with Trump:

NBA – Adam Silver
    WNBA – Cathy Engelbert
    MLB – Rob Manfred
    NFL – Roger Goodell
    NHL – Gary Bettman
    PGA Tour – Jay Monahan
    UFC – Dana White
    WWE - Vince McMahon
    NASCAR – John Middlebrook or Jim France.
    MLS – Don Garber.

Open your leagues up! It'll be yugely bigly entertaining! It'll be beautiful!
    [​IMG]

or
    Cancel your leagues. We'll see you in 2021. Sad! So very sad!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RayRay10, Houstunna, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m still in shock that the Governor of Georgia didn’t know that asymptomatic people could spread the virus until just a few days ago

I do not understand how that is possible

that is 1 of the 1st things that was known...only someone middle school and below could not know that and get a pass

You’re the Governor! How?!?

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don’t miss the sports. Pro sports should be outlawed as they contribute to pollution and climate change. We all now have time to spend not watching sports but saving each other and the planet!

Surfguy ducks a barrage of thrown shoes and is thankful there is no “Dislike” button feature.

Exiled likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm not sure how we got here exactly, but in modern American culture, a politician being well-informed and well-studied does not get many votes. *shrug*

The results, in a crisis, are kind of terrifying.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Good point, it's not clear how they could have a data point for today in countries where the day hasn't ended yet. I would hope they would wait for the day to end before adding that data point to the chart, otherwise it's very misleading.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-3-day-average

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s just mind boggling that a Governor could not know something like that...I mean, if u barely know anything about Covid-19, the 2 things u should have at least been aware of long ago is that asymptomatic people can spread the disease, and that u should keep your distance from other people

7. malakas

malakas Member

Don't be so shocked.
    China till 2 days ago didn't even test asymptomatic carriers and their CDC officially claimed that they can't spread the virus.
    The WHO only now officially said it.
    The EUCDC still hasn't "decided".

I just finished watching the daily press of the Greek CDC where the epidemiologist said "oh yeah they have NOW some findings that asymptomatic carriers COULD infect others but we don't know how much and so on and we aren't sure"

pure bullcrap.

I have known this since February since it was in medical journals.

There are two reasons they are lying to us.
    1) so that China can go back running
    2) so they don't recommend mask usage for all because there aren't enough masks.

8. omgTHEpotential

malakas likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Not only that, but the chart uses a 3-day period that includes *tomorrow*. So ultimately, the data fr April 4th will be the deaths on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Right now, for April 4th, it's using data for the 3rd and through 4am on the 4th and averaging over 2 days. For reference, US deaths on the 3rd was 1300, so that chart is going to keep spiking upwards.

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those dumb populists.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It's a 3 day rolling average. So the data for today would simply be the average of yesterday and the day before. It will be updated tomorrow. Usually on a rolling average , you wouldn't show this data point but if they are then that's what it means.

12. Major

Major Member

This is not right. The text below the chart itself tells you what it measures - it's a 3 day average using yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Data for today is currently yesterday and a small portion of today through 11:30AM London time. Data for the 4th won't be accurate on that chart until the 6th. Data for the 3rd won't be accurate until tomorrow.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a question for @BallaDoc and some of the other medical professionals. I'm asking it here than in some of the D&D threads because I don't think it's political. I've been reading that it looks like COVID 19 is much more lethal to males and females. You've raised the issue of how genetics might play a role in this disease. Can you give us any more info on how it gender might play a role?

I saw in some of the literature was saying that in the PRC gender might play a role because Chinese men smoke much more than women so they are more prone to preexisting conditions for smoking. Is this the case with Italy and other countries or are there hormonal or other gender related factors involved?

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

he is either a liar or totally incompetent. either way, he is not fit for public office.

16. GIGO

GIGO Member

"Ultimately, Hawkes said, biology, lifestyle and behaviour are all likely to play a role."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/men-are-much-more-likely-to-die-from-coronavirus-but-why
    https://blogs.bmj.com/bmjgh/2020/03/24/sex-gender-and-covid-19-disaggregated-data-and-health-disparities/
    Sex, gender and COVID-19: http://globalhealth5050.org/covid19/

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Germany. Hmmmmm.

18. Buck Turgidson

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I watched some Doctors on Youtube about this. Its less about the biology of being "Male" or "Female" and more about the lifestyles of the sexes. Men are like 7-8X more likely to smoke. Way more likely to be obese. Way more likely to have hypertension, Way more likely to have some sort of coronary disease, and way more likely to drink alcohol.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You are missing something about the CDC, WHO, and EUCDC. They tend to be "science first" organizations. They are full of scientists and doctors, and they won't come out and say anything until they have a randomized, peer reviewed, double blind study and meta-studies before they make recommendations. So while the correlation, modeling, and trends can highly suggest some thing (i.e. asymptomatic people can spread the disease), until its proven out in the general scholarly journals and real trial data, they aren't going to say anything.

The WHO still stands by a 3.4% death rate even though all evidence points to be much lower, but they can only publish actual numbers, and until we know the full numbers of people that have had the disease through randomized statistical analysis of antibody tests, they won't move the number.

Some of the more interesting statistics to me are around percent positivity rates of those tested. You can kind of sorta begin to extrapolate numbers based on positivity rates. For the most part, we're still only testing people with symptoms in this country, so you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg. But you can begin to get an idea of how much spread there is by the test positive rates. So like in Texas, where we've tested much fewer people per capita, our positivity rate is still fairly low (5-10%) (you'd expect the inverse, the less people you test, the more positive percentage because you're only testing likely cases). That tells you that Texas hasn't been hit as hard (yet?). In New York where they are testing like crazy, the positive rates are MUCH higher. You are seeing that play out in hospital admissions and deaths. A bigger percentage of an already big population has been infected.

#5380 Supermac34, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Houstunna likes this.