1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 18, 2019.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I read posts like this and am reminded why I am a leader in industry and almost all of you are worker bees. The facts are so obvious, yet the media only report things that smear Trump and pump up Democrats... and the worker bees just lap it up like fools! No independent thinking whatsoever, no challenging the narrative, no creative thought. Just regurgitating the media's manipulative narrative. I mean for goodness sake, Joe Biden can't even complete a sentence, and Andrew Cuomo is like a bad soap opera star (with bleeding nipples), yet these people are worshiped by the fools at the mainstream media channels. Trump is getting the job done for all the reasons I articulated -- I'm sorry if that doesn't comport with your world view, and I'm sorry if you are unable to tear down your emotional walls to view it. But the man just flat out gets things done.

2. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Fresh off of failed COVID exaggerated death estimates, Sam has effortlessly pivoted to making exaggerated climate predictions. Tip of the cap for consistency. The left has a large part of their brain that just stops working whenever emotions rise.

3. dmoneybangbang

LOL. People still get very sick from the virus, even if they don't die. Working age population getting sick and spreading the virus in even greater numbers will only lead to the economy being shut down regardless.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

LOL. We gonna be open by Easter!

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Get ready to pack those pews bro.

With 13% unemployment on the way to 20 or more, we gonna need some prayer soon

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump's tax cut resulted in nothing but stock buybacks and dividend payments - causing the markets to rise but no real impact on the actual economy because corporate investment was flat. Now the **** hits the fan and corporations have handed their cash to the wealthy who sit on the sidelines.

RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Let me explain this to you so you can set aside liberal vs. conservative politics and just know why everyone has to take this seriously.

2% of those infected will need to be in the ICU. Currently there is probably over a million infections given that 80% are lightly symptomatic or asymptomatic and people are not being tested widely.

That's currently over 20,000 people in need of an ICU. Manageable today as the US has 50,000 beds. But what happens when you have 10 million people battling an infection? Then you have 200,000 people in need of an ICU bed, 150,000 short. Without that treatment, morbidity sky rockets. Now imagine if everyone just goes back to work, then you could have the virus explode and have 50 million or more simultaneous infections requiring 1 million ICU beds when only 50k are available. The death toll gets to a point where the loss of value to society has a far greater economic loss than a few months of keep hundreds of thousands of people alive.

Now you may think people 50+ aren't that important to the economy, but they are. In fact they are the most valuable part of the economy as they are often the leaders and most experienced workers in EVERY INDUSTRY. Also keep in mind that 30-something year old people die from this as well.

Not to mention that those 20 percent that get serve symptoms will all suffer some kind of permanent lung damage and thus be a drain on the insurance industry for years to come.

8. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

^^^ Well now it's amateur hour.

1) You cite no sources
    2) Your estimates are absurdly high
    3) Not everyone gets C19 at the same time, thereby invalidating your 150,000 short claim
    4) Potential for vaccine will limit the future risk
    5) Immunity is being built up by society as time goes on
    6) The models you are relying on have been proven false by the data. Your views are not evolving as we learn more

While the fear p*rn hype crew push these stories, scarce medical resources are being misallocated away from where they are needed... contributing to worse health outcomes. The crisis here is that the people hyping COVID do so with the approval of their conscience. In fact they are adding to the misery by overstating the risk and diverting resources away from larger risks.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You uncork your frequently inane nonsense, which some here may see as satire (I used to, Trader_ J), and it has a serious flaw. When you are proven wrong, which happens often enough, although at times it can take a while, you never admit it.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

1) The have all been cited in this thread. But if you want, I can dig them up and show you if it actually will persuade you - otherwise don't waste my time.

2) Which specific estimate? They are all based on numbers your President has recently shared. Where are your numbers coming from?

3) An infection lasts up to 30 days or longer, and an ICU stay can be weeks. So at the same time means in a period of 30 days.

4) Vaccine may take a year or more

5) We're just at the beginning, like I said, 1 million infected out of 300+ million

6) The model is the same one given by the President - are you saying he is wrong on this?

TJ, what model are you using to state this?

11. biina

biina Member

When this virus hits close to home, hope you will still have the mind to post your nonsense

12. Senator

Senator Member

That is a given, but certainly not happening here in Texas. Americans of all sides of political spectrum have shown they only respond after the crisis hits close to home, not in preparation of it because ... rights ...lliberty... wooo.

There are a lot of people who don't follow healthy lifestyle and dietary habits and though they may not have preexisting conditions, they may not drink or smoke routinely, but their system is far more likely to go into a cytokine storm when confronted with a challenge. Corona will just be another virus that lives in our system after a year... and is already doing so to many asymptotic individuals. The question is whether people feed their bodies the right environmental and dietary input. If you work at a polluted factory, If you eat crappy meat and sugar drinks on a daily basis, you create more inflammatory markers in your body and you'll be struck down much harder. So it really isn't as "random" as you say it is, it predominantly affects elderly and those with underlying conditions, and the younger with hypersensitive immune systems. I don't know if we'll ever get real data on the young people - what their diets were like, how much sleep they got, occupation, if they were sedentary or active, etc. to get a real conclusion from this ... It's just age, sex, and formal diseases (which isn't the only indicator of poor health). But it's something to keep in mind in the realm of infectious disease going forward.

13. Senator

Senator Member

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Any fans of Herbert Hoover out there?

Seems like his failings were ideological. Just believed everyone was better off if they were in it for themselves and wanted the government to run w/ a hands off pro biz approach.

Until his final years that is...

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This essentially rolls back the number of uninsured to pre-Affordable Care Act.

17. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

New York cases on the decline according to Cuomo... experts are saying Europe has peaked... Stock market surging over 5% today... it's a really bad day for the doomsday prediction fabulists! But a great day for humanity!

The morons claiming deaths would be in the millions should be defrocked of all status in society/journalism. They incited a panic that temporarily put millions out of work and stressed the mental health of the entire world.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. dmoneybangbang

I can assure you well prepared middle class folks hold a little bit a cash. I was keeping my powder dry for the end of the bull market but you can't predict a black swan event.

Keynesian economics isn't why people are bad with money and are underemployed. LOL "deflationary money".

joshuaao, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member