1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Resolved: it is possible to support Donald Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Apr 1, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Fair response. That being said, since he said Easter it seems he finally is being honest with himself about the totality of the risk.

I do have low standards for him. One thing I've saidsince he was elected is he isn't going to press the button.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The thread is meant to troll. Anything and everything just shy of trump descending down from the heavens delivering a cure proves the OP's point. The only way the masses give Trump a positive review will be from events that are totally out of his control. And given the massive amount of half information and misinformation and sensationalism, nobody can expect anyone to make a perfect call. Could Trump have handled this better, absolutely. But anything shy of imperfection will always be complete utter failure. And Trump could do much much worse. Like completely mock it like Gobert and so many of those in the government, get the virus and die in the middle of the calamity.

How are so many of these influential people catching it. This isnt a numbers game. These are arrogant jackasses doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing.

jcf likes this.
  3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I really want to pull and root for him, but right now he looks at that situation as a game... A way to have his own television show instead of understanding that this is affecting people's lives...

We can only pray for the best...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

#NeverTrump has always been cool.

As for his leadership during this crisis, looking back at the whole it has really been craptastic. I mostly have not wasted my breath criticizing each element as they have developed because we are in a crisis and division will only exacerbate. But, when you pause a moment to survey the past several months, his Wins Above Replacement Player is negative.

You're right it's a troll thread. But, I do think it was possible for the president to have greatly improved his approval rating with good leadership in crisis. Cuomo is seeing a bounce for his leadership in New York. Moon Jae-in's approval has climbed considerably because of how well they've handled the coronavirus. Trump could have gotten a rally around the flag effect if he'd promoted the epidemic as a threat and moved proactively and smartly to handle it. Instead, he shut his eyes and hoped it would go away. He didn't see the potential to ride this thing to re-election. Now because of his early screw-ups, it's more a liability to him than an opportunity and all he can do is try to mitigate the damage to his campaign. Instead of competing with South Korea for the lowest per capita deaths, set people's expectations that 200,000 deaths is somehow a win.

JayGoogle, NewRoxFan and RayRay10 like this.
  5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:):p:D

i find the comparisons with S. Korea (and Singapore, or any of the Nordics) frustrating, they're small, relatively isolated, with largely homogeneous populations. a much more apt comparison would be with the EU as a whole.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is one thing i've learned on these forums ... people love to cherry pick their arguments. "But Iceland, N Korea and Cuba are doing well, why can't we".

basso likes this.
  7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The jerk needs to resign and minimize his intervening and negative impact. The idiots and assholes who voted for him in the first place can't be held accountable in any way but having someone like him controlling a situation like this is literally what even several conservatives and other elected Republicans publicly warned about four years ago.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is interesting:

"Hydroxychloroquine was overall chosen as the most effective therapy from a list of 15 options (37% of COVID-19 treaters). • 75% in Spain, 53% Italy, 44% in China, 43% in Brazil, 29% in France, 23% in US and 13% in UK"

link is a pdf: https://public-cdn.sermo.com/covid1...ve-i-sermo-covid-19-global-analysis-final.pdf

an instance where Trump may have been right, and was roundly derided by his political opponents for suggesting such a thing.

cml750 and dachuda86 like this.
  9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Resolved: the dip$hit can stumble blindly into success and remain an incompetent boob unworthy of the position he holds

Further resolved: the respect basso earned from staying quiet about the dip$hit has evaporated...immediately

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was told we are the best got-damned country in the history of the world!? Just recently made great again. Why can't I expect the best performance? Americans are supposed to settle for mediocrity now?

Besides, South Korea isn't that small -- 50 million people. And it's dense -- 510 people/sq mile compared to 94 for the USA. Not really isolated at all, it's a hub of East Asian commerce and its Seoul airport is one of the busiest in the world. I'd grant the homogeneity, but I'm also not real sure how it's a great advantage in an epidemic. Meanwhile, we're the richest country in the world, we can print however much money we need, we're home to the biggest and most sophisticated corporations, the best universities, the best trading relationships. I don't believe on balance that South Korea has more natural advantages than us for handling crises; it looks more to me like they have important political advantages.

But, I agree with you that South Korea is not in our competition set. We're not that good. They were ready after SARS; we were flat-footed. The European countries are the main yard stick (though you really need to think if someone like India or Brazil manage to beat us on per capita).

One disadvantage you didn't list which is worth a mention -- obesity, diabetes, etc will contribute to the lethality of this disease. And I think we have the developed world beat on those sorts of pre-existing conditions.

He was derided for speaking as if it was a slam dunk before the CDC was willing to recommend it, giving Americans a false and dangerous confidence. None of us plebes are judging the merits of the malaria drug itself. This is like saying we can't question Gerald Green's shot selection after he drains an ill-advised 3 pointer.

11. Buck Turgidson

Response? **** that. (repeated from another thread)

Yet another data point in the “Nobody knew there would be a pandemic or epidemic of this proportion” Files:

Despite President Trump’s repeated assertions that the Covid-19 epidemic was “unforeseen” and “came out of nowhere,” the Pentagon was well aware of not just the threat of a novel influenza, but even anticipated the consequent scarcity of ventilators, face masks, and hospital beds, according to a 2017 Pentagon plan obtained by The Nation.

“The most likely and significant threat is a novel respiratory disease, particularly a novel influenza disease,” the military plan states. Covid-19 is a respiratory disease caused by the novel (meaning new to humans) coronavirus. The document specifically references coronavirus on several occasions, in one instant saying, “Coronavirus infections [are] common around the world.”

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/covid-military-shortage-pandemic/

eta: So, in the 3 1/2 years Trump was President before the pandemic, we know that his Administration

- Ignored the pandemic preparedness and response plan handed over to him by the previous Administration

- Disbanded the NSC bureau that was specifically tasked with dealing with a pandemic

- Cancelled the maintenance contract for the federal emergency stockpile of ventilators

- Ignored an internal Administration report in ****ing October about our unpreparedness to handle exactly this scenerio

- Ignored specific warnings from the Pentagon about exactly this scenario

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Anything less than 330 million deaths should be considered a great victory for Trump.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

To translate into whiteboy for you: "God bless."

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Resolved- the best thing for the entire country would have been if Trump had resigned or been convicted of his high crimes earlier this year.

Can anybody even seriously debate this? I think Mike Pence is dumber than a bucket of whaleshit but even he would do better than this, Kushnerr would not be involved, nobody would be bragging about being "no 1 on facebook" and all kinds of other dumb ****.

Rashmon and RayRay10 like this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah the media and partisans are all over that drug with negative spin and many out of bias and for political reasons. Many never even cared until Trump mentioned it. It is really dangerous what many are doing when there is a real option that may help. We need balanced views... i support a cautious optimism and to look for real solutions instead of making things political.

basso likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The dunning-kruger effect in full bloom. Subject matter experts, people who have life long experience in clinical drug trials think what Trump did was stupid. You don't promote a untested drug that has severe side effects without exhaustive testing.

Stop it. You are blinded by nut hugging him. This is why people call you a Trump supporter. You defend the indefensible all the time for him.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Stop politicizing medical science you tool.

19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

feel like she's just trying to start controversy here by preemptively calling everyone who doesn't know what 'Subhanallah' is an Islamophobe. especially when that phrase is more typically used to praise the beauty and transcendence of God

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think if the first conclusion you jump to when she says that is that she wants American to fall and praises god God for it, they rightfully should be called xenophobic.

I think as a country that doesn't profess a religion or a race, we should understand there are multiple ways people can say "God bless" and that shouldn't be a shocker where you automatically assume it's neferious.

Now imagine how careful American Muslims have to be when saying something as benign as that causes death threats and people accusing you of beings terrorist supporter. They have to walk on egg shells. Do you think that's fair?