1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Funny, my corporation of a hospital says we're not allowed to wear surgical masks over N95s. They also say we don't need N95s, but we MUST wear a surgical mask. Those that do wear N95s CANNOT get a new one. But don't worry, they're reassuring us they have plenty of PPE.

RayRay10, Nook, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

@malakas Hopefully the worst thing it is, is peptic ulcer disease caused by bacteria that can be stopped with antibiotics. That's at least treatable / easy to test for.

Get well soon.

#5242 Juxtaposed Jolt, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  3. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

It’s corporate greed. The hospitals aren’t run by doctors anymore. They’re run by MBAers to battle insurance companies. The system is for profit and out to screw you the people. In every facet of the world it’s obvious day by day. People do not matter anymore. He’ll look at the NBA push comes to shove they suck up to China. All tax breaks to big corporations. Mom and pop shops even physician practices bought out by corporations. We give them our tax money they turn around use our resources pay nothing back outsource the job and then charge us for it. I’m not democrat or republican. I just wish people mattered more nowadays and it doesn’t seem like that will ever be the case.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

People who like Trump: I'm sure there are conspiracy folks who think Fauci is behind either this virus or this virus hoax. That while we sit at home, cabin fever / quarantine is meant to keep America down, easier to invade, etc. Makes Trump look like a bad president with his big scientific words. Or something.

People who dislike Trump: He's always pictured with Trump, so surely he and Trump are in cahoots together. President = bad, so by the transitive property, Fauci must also be bad.

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have both on me, but don’t wear both at the same time. I honestly wish we just got hazmat suits like the Chinese had and decontamination showers before deoffing.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Private equity is killing people.

7. Two Sandwiches

I don't really need N95s where I'm at, to be honest. My wife is required, as I said, but they won't be issued new ones. Even when she complained after she worked with a possible covid patient (a doctor, whom the hospital refuses to test, despite the doctors requests, btw) she had to jump through hoops to get one.

Trauma 2 facility. The region's hub for this virus. And the ER had only one box of regular size N95s.

RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and BallaDoc like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Preach it, brother.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Ive gotten into so many fights over nights with administration because they were telling nurses what they can and cannot wear to see these patients. One had the audacity to tell me I’m not allowed to wear a barrier mask in the hall. Even after I show them data on how barrier masks in any setting Substantially decrease the risk of health care worker transmission, they still want to put up a fight. My answer to them is if you believe in what your saying. You wear what you’re suggesting and go in the room. Only seen one administrator have the balls to suit up and walk in.

Our hospital is starting a protocol to re sterilize n95s and redistribute. I do in my heart believe that surgical barrier masks could be more than enough if a patient is intubated on a closed system with tape on any exit point of the ventilator limb. So we may skate by. Keep washing those hands though!

RayRay10, No Worries, Mazulis and 6 others like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What is the opinion of that admin now?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Policy has since changed in the last couple of days. Now barrier masks are required for anyone working on the COVID floor at all times. They are also suggesting it be donned by everyone in the hospital. N95s are only to be worn during aersolizing procedures in line with the CDC. My gripe with that statement is what if you’re in with an intubated patient. By guidelines you are to be in regular surgical mask. So you’re in there and what if the tubing for the vent pops off. Or the balloon for the tube isn’t inflated or the filter at the end of the vent tubing isnt secure and all those particles are being aerosolized by my fast flow vent? Well should’ve worn n95 right? But that’s not what the guidelines say.

I’ll give my hospital props though. They were slow on the uptake. But they have listened and adapted.

12. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

The sad thing is that admin is a good person. They’re telling the nurses what they’re higher ups are telling her. I found her crying the next day because she hated the position she was in. It’s a ****ed situation. But you know what would help? Lol a lot more PPE. Then you get around this whole debacle.

13. donkeypunch

What if you were to go against the guidelines? Are they really gonna reprimand you on the spot when there is such a need for medical staff?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Admins aren't doing this for the hell of it or to screw over doctors. There's a lack of equipment. If you use something when it's not recommended, someone else isn't going to have it when it IS recommended and you're putting them in extra danger.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

implementation to ppe /n95 with contact to any patient , <2 medical staff, HME, clamps-derecruitment , outlet IV,vent wall modifciation , negative pressure aerosol control should be covered within CDC basic even for non emergencies

16. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I don’t think I understand your text message. Do you mind explaining again? What I was saying is the recs are now stating to only go droplet once the patient is on a closed system. My concern with that is the true validity of a closed system

17. donkeypunch

Thats true, but given the example he gave with a patient in intubation, the risk isnt really there to mar an n95 mask, its just there as a safety precaution if a vent incidentally pops off. If thats the case and I were in his shoes, Ive got my n95 on, no matter what guidelines say.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Exiled

Exiled Member

Are you familiar with this ! the surgical mask thing was overwhelming to me
    https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-critical-care-issues?search=covid 19&source=search_result&selectedTitle=2~150&usage_type=default&display_rank=2#H799885903

Nook likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Some coronavirus patients show signs of brain ailments

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Yes all those precautions are what I worry about. My hospital and cdc policy is once they are intubated and in a closed circuit we are to go droplet. Now I think this recommendation was largely to preserve n95 for more risky procedures but that is the recommendation. The concern I have for that is what if the RT didn’t check the balloon pressure. what if the tubing moves a bit. What if the ET tubing pops off the ventilator. What if the hme connection to the heap filter isn’t secure. Any compromise in that circuit means it’s open with hospital personnel inside without proper n95s.

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.