1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 18, 2019.

1. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

they died of covid you ass hat. I’ve got under 50s in my icu vented. There is a genetic predisposition to this that you haven’t gathered yet on your presumed reading. The virus stimulates an inflammatory reaction in your lungs. They stiffen and it becomes impossible to ventilate or deliver oxygen. There is no cure for it only time. Because the virus is so virulent we cannot do our usual tricks to save these people from a ventilator. Any other time you come to my icu I can stave off an intubation with high flow delivery devices. I cannot do that in these patients because it aerosolizes the particles and makes it more virulent. Not only do we intubate from an infection control standpoint but we intubate because they crash fast if you don’t. There lungs fill up with fluids. Th year don’t necessarily die but they use up resources.

You are also incredibly short sighted in your mortality estimates. If the projections are 50% will contract which they will and 5 % critical. Who do you think is taking care of those patients? I am. How many of me are there trained in ventilators. Lol not a lot. Who will manage the ventilators of the regular car accidents, infection , heart failure, Gi bleeder if I’m tied up with covid?....... yeah that’s what I thought.

Get out of here with your false information asshat.

Nook, subtomic, joshuaao and 10 others like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That sounds horrible and I hope to never end up in that situation. That said I'm glad there are medical professionals like you out there saving people.

Thank you for your service.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Many people can't see the grey areas of this. They see black and white. The economy is saved (by whom? Not the Orange House clowns) and old people die, or everyone stays home and the economy dies but not the people.

I'm curious though, if you've heard anything new on the genetic predisposition. I've heard rumblings of it. Especially when you see family's that are entirely killed off by this (or most of a family). Have they begun to isolate what the predisposition may be? I've heard all kinds of things, from blood type to previous coronavirus infections.

joshuaao, RayRay10 and BallaDoc like this.
  4. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

thank you for your kind words. I don’t mean to scare everyone. I just want the facts out there. We will hopefully overcome this and come out stronger. Limit the spread. Wash hands. Don’t touch your face. Things we know implement them. We physicians are here for y’all as you guys are here for us with your actions by staying safe and helping with the economy. The big guys don’t care about us so we will. Keep y’all heads up.

5. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

There is some talk in the medical
    literature about ACE2 helping entry of COvID. Not sure if this is entirely accurate or enough to change how we manage High blood pressure but it is something to note and watch. I do believe their is a genetic component to it from an anecdotal standpoint. We’ve seen biological family members sick and intubated while non biological members of the same family are toughing out the disease at home

RayRay10 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I did briefly hear the ACE2 thing.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the genetic component thing. Granted, I have an amateur opinion, but I keep reading stories about whole families that are either dead or nearly dead in ICUs.

As a young guy, this disease don't concern me much, outside of potentially infecting older immunocompromised folks inadvertently. But the more and more I see, the more anxious it makes me.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

not gonna lie it scared me too. The problem with being a young guy like us is we don’t know what our genes are. Who knows what kind of immune response your body will have to this. It’s a roll of the dice. But I do think limiting physical contact and barrier masks will decrease the chances of transmission for you. I whole heartedly believe that you can limit transmission in the general population with distancing and constant cleanliness.

I hope you can use that anxiety constructively! Keep yourself informed and find new things to learn about. And of course that’s what this great website was built for. To connect all us die hards on one website to share the anxiety. Years of being a rox fan has trained us for this.

mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Make the case - you haven't done so yet. There was a man in Pennsylvania who fell and hit his head, yet was counted as a COVID death. Really? How many people with cardiovascular problems, respiratory problems, diabetes, etc died at an old age, but happened to have COVID, and then it counted as 100% COVID related? MANY.

False, I was one of the early adopters to the genetic predisposition theory - mainly Italians and Chinese -- which are both heavy in NYC.

There are other predispositions too - like being old and having health problems... 95+% of the deaths match this description. We are misallocating medical resources by blanketing the population instead of TARGETING the vulnerable. This is Economics 101 -- something doctors and scientists aren't exactly known for... Doctors should have input, but not be the decision makers. Many young people will think that we have to fully sacrifice our way of life, our jobs, our liberties, etc if we can just save a single life. Then they grow up and mature and realize this is impractical and foolhardy. Risk comes with life. We can't solve for a zero death scenario without destroying society.

9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

my case is physical proof. I watch them come in and get intubated for covid. Dig through their chart and labs and find there’s nothing else going on them. Watch as every organ system is fine except the lungs. Watch them code because I can’t oxygenate. Pronounce them dead without seeing any hypotension, cardiac disease, asthma, or kidney failure. They literally die from ARDS you ****ing moron. Every doctor in the world is telling you to take this **** seriously. We go to undergrad medical school train as residents and then fellows. We’re trained 30 year olds watching young ones go on the vent for no reason. Luckily the young ones have enough reserve to bounce back and get extubated some aren’t as lucky. And again if I’m tied up taking care of an intubated young covid who May not die who is taking care of the rest of the critically ill.

you’re completely dense and beyond arguing with. You have no idea of what you’re talking about any making up assumptions.
    There is no targeting the vulnerable because everyone is exposed. If there is a genetic predisposition then how would you know until you have it until tested and then pay for it with your life.

The medical field isn’t talking about shutting down for good you imbecile. We’re saying stave the curve. Limit the spread now so we can catch up. By all intents and purposes this virus is here to stay. We need to be exposed to it or to a vaccine. But until then limit the spread so the hospital system doesn’t collapse. Or not. Go ahead enjoy your liberties. Go have a beer go for a drive. God forbid you get into an accident and develop a pneumothorax. God forbid you need to come to the ED and need me to re expand your lung. If you do sorry can’t help you I’m dealing with the covids. So enjoy your liberties assface. We’re saving your lives and all we’re asking for is time. We understand the economy is screwed. But it’s ****ed regardless. Maybe helicopter some money to the people while we try to save lives.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

@Trader_Jorge is an imbecile. Still waiting for him to update that post saying that America is doing a much better job than European countries in terms of containment.

Andre0087 and BallaDoc like this.
  11. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Lol your genetic predisposition crap slays me. Hahaha are you literally just picking the two earliest countries with covid and saying they have a genetic predisposition?!?!? Lolol news to you buddy America has the highest case count and we’re not all genetically the same. The world count is staggering you saying everyone in the world has the same genetics? You’re a clown stop talking about **** you have no concept of. Stay in your lane.

12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Damn.... wish I could triple like this...

T_Man

joshuaao and mikol13 like this.
  13. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

14. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Sorry forgot to ask is there a lot of Chinese and Italian people in Washington? Florida? New Orleans? Texas? Cause everyone’s getting hit you dense ****

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Sorry one correction I should make. We THINK there is a genetic predisposition to this for the patients coming in with no co morbidities. Not verified yet. It’s virulence is mainly due to the fact that our immune systems haven’t seen this. The immunological reaction of the lungs to severe virulence is usually ARDS for which the treatment is time for lungs to heal and treatment of underlying condition. COvId has no great treatment and how much time will the lung require to heal? And if it does how many of those patients now have fibrotic (scarred) lung disease for the rest of their life.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@Trader_Jorge i get where you are coming from. But , you cite the number 5k ... what if it’s 15 k next week and 25k the week after ... or there’s an even steeper increase .

if people are chicken littling this and the health aspect is not so bad things will go back to normal sooner rather than later and your biggest gripe will be the stocks dropped for a while and some people got to take a month off.

if however there is a serious increase then imagine how many orders of magnitude that could have been had we not started social distancing .

the death numbers will come out soon enough and everyone will have a clear picture .

the growth of this is closer to exponential than it is linear . That alone is enough to warrant the shutdown .

there was a riddle I read a while ago about exponential growth ... if a Lilly patch in a pond doubles every day .... and the plants totally cover the pond on day 20 ... on what day was the pond half covered ?

the answer is the 19th day

those 6 million that filed for unemployment will get jobs again if they can go back to work.

I’m pretty sure you said 5k deaths but the rate of death in the states is already close to 1k per day no ?

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Folks, this thread is about panicking about the economy (which is in utter and absolute collapse, most of us will lose money, jobs, houses even if we escape COVID19) - keep your terror appropriately binned.

BallaDoc likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You are correct...

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

War Of the Worlds...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I haven't thought or listened to this song in ages. For some reason it popped up in my head though.