1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Culture War Z?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

When I went to drop mail at the post office today, I saw a group of 10 young people with signs saying "Free Bible".

They probably believe the apocalypse is near or something to that effect. Lol

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since you lived in Minnesota you're probably familiar with Common Man on KFAN. He's been advocating opening golf courses in Minnesota. His idea is is that golf is the one sport you could have social distance and if you carry your own clubs, don't use carts you can limit the chance of spread.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think most states still allow people to go outside and exercise as long as you keep social distance. I've been running and biking recently and noticed that's easier said than done. On the lakes here and on the Mississippi it's gotten pretty crowded. Also at the park near my house there were still people playing soccer and basketball. I've heard some localities have taken down nets on hoops or tied the nets up so you can't get your ball back if you shoot.

Yes getting sunlight and exercise is a necessity. If we stay inside and don't work out we get less healthy and more susceptible to disease.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it's definitely not isolated to Florida.

Here's a group that keeps meeting in northern Cali, now with 71 infected members. SMDH, and I do mean damned, I guess.
    https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/...h-in-Sacramento-linked-to-dozens-15175215.php

Nook, Hakeemtheking and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

On the main subject yes this is a very worrying trend that the response to this disease is becoming politicized and part of the culture war. I've seen a lot of messages, including here, that frame this in political terms. A lot of my Trump supporting friends are still arguing that this is overblown. Even last week my Trump supporting uncle was telling me to go out and have a good time. He lives in Florida. I saw another post were a Trump supporter was complaining about how FOX News was now reporting about how bad this virus was and advocating social distancing. He compared it to the Nazis infiltrators. I've seen other posts bringing up how it only seems like celebrities are getting it so it's either a plot by liberal celebrities to make people think it's worse than it is or that it's not a problem for most people who don't live in NY or CA.

What's sad about all of this is that a lot of these people are the most vulnerable. Many are elderly and not in great health to begin with. While many live in rural and suburban areas where the virus will spread slowly many of these communities don't have the resources to deal with an outbreak.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Is there such a thing as mass psychosis? I think it's reasonable to question the degree of severity that Covid-19 could inflict, but quite crazy to think someone or something is out there to get you (I.E. The intentional train wreck today near the Comfort medical ship).

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Once everyone group is exposed to the virus and achieve herd immunity, whoever is left can be considered part of the plan.

A bit of confirmation bias, but if you strip away the details from bible's stories, when is it not?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Golf, done right health-safety wise, is a great getaway right now. Especially when paired with a FAT doobie.

9. biina

biina Member

Just give it time.

With the projected death, almost every one in this country will lose someone they know personally to this virus.

Forget red and blue, Covid19 is as independent as they come, and an equal opportunity killer!

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We will all find out in a couple of weeks

that lady in Louisiana ....
    Her attitude might be changed if people start dropping like flies in New Orleans .

while stocks and the economy are terms that can have different level of importance to different people , generally every interprets American deaths the same way

the uncertainty about economic future is a real concern ... but unfortunately In a couple of weeks there will be very real death numbers .

pictures contrasting places with good social distancing vs those that did not heed outcomes will become clearer ..... or they won’t and this was overblown (doubtful imo) either way I think ultimately long term the nation will share a consensus on how bad Covid was ... and the root of it all will be the death number .

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Jon Meacham speaks with eloquence on this issue. He talks about this as a "partisan pandemic" and "the Enlightenment is on trial. His comments start at the 7:35 mark.