1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My sister most likely has contracted Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Mar 27, 2020.

1. what

what Member

My sister had 2 good days followed by a bad day today(not life threatening) just fatigue and shortness of breath but nothing she is too worried about: this is probably the blahs that Tom Hanks spoke about. She is starting on her 7th day.
    My Nephew is fine, and other than having a fever, shows no signs of the virus.
    My mother yesterday felt as if she was developing pneumonia, she had a oximeter whatever, and it was showing 85%, my sister who is a nurse, checked her breathing but she has this thing that she doesn't want to be my mom's nurse. Anyway, my mom was convinced of this and so she scheduled an appointment with a respiratory doctor in brenham Texas. When she got there, the doctor said that her lungs sound perfect and she had a 93% oxygen rate. The doctor said that they would run a cat scan to make sure, but before my mom could do that something broke at the hospital so the cat scan was never done. That night my mom felt better which is a good thing, but this morning she was having another bad day. At this point my mother is on her 5th day, which is good that there have been no major escalations. My mom now says that she is feeling a pain that's similar to when she had a heart aneurysm. I questioned her about it but I'm not sure if she's just being paranoid or what.
    At this point, my feeling is that she is doing good considering, but the fact that she is always telling me about something new has me on edge.
    My feeling is that this virus is terrible and it has taken a lot out of my mom and my sister, but thankfully at this point they can still breath okay which is all i want at this point.

#81 what, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You probably know this already, but if your sister is weak or having difficulty breathing her decision-making may be impaired. Nurse or not, you might have to override her at some point and get your mom (or her) into a hospital if things go downhill.

I'm not saying that to worry you any more than I'm sure you already are, I just don't want you to have any regrets if things make a turn for the worse. I've got a few and they're no fun.

Good luck, man.

Yung-T, Jontro, malakas and 3 others like this.
  3. what

what Member

There is no worries about that, my mom doesn't listen to a lot we say anyway, and she will get a doctor if she needs to. She has spit fire in her blood, and she has a heart doctor that she has gone to for well over 20 years.
    My sister is actually auditing medical charts in her time off of work to keep a paycheck.
    At this point we are in the wait and see mode. But I don't think it will come to that because my mom will get her treatment one way or the other if she needs it. She hollers enough at me now even with her symptoms, lol.

4. what

what Member

One other thing about this, my mother has doctor's calling her on a daily basis asking about her. It really isn't a situation where she is in a bubble, in fact my mom can't get no peace hardly because my entire family calls her daily about this: text, text, calls, text, that sometimes she just turns her phone off so that she can get peace and sleep.

5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

It's really hard trying to parent a parent. Mine are stressing the heck out of me now and they're okay--just a little time worn.

It sounds like your mom's a fighter and you're all making the best of a bad situation. I'm glad to hear it!

daywalker02, Yung-T, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's good to hear and it sounds like her doctor really cares about his patients.

Yung-T and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. what

what Member

My mom is a trip for sure. Only person you could have a knockdown drag out fight with in a time like this, lol.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. likestohypeguy

How many of sister/mom/nephew etc. has been tested, then tested positive btw?

9. what

what Member

Only my sister, the assumption is my mother and nephew are also positive by being in close contact and developing symptoms. The tests are being conserved I suppose.
    However, it is a good assumption as they are displaying the classic symptoms of it.

10. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

How are you holding up? I'm wishing them the best in everything. You too.

Yung-T, Houstunna and B-Bob like this.
  11. what

what Member

Right now I am fine. I am usually more wound up in the mornings after talking to them, especially when they give me news that isn't so good.
    I am very glad my sister is on the 7th day and my nephew has been fine throughout. At this point I am just holding my breath for my mom and getting her past the 5th day. I am really just counting the days.
    I was pretty jacked when I first learned that my mom had it, up till the 3rd day and after she thought she had pneumonia.
    I am in a more calm state now at this point.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What, thank you for letting us know about what is happening with your family. I feel bad that you are dealing with this and hope your family recovers but your experience is something we should heed as we might be dealing with it too.

13. droxford

droxford Member

I should clarify:

Because influenza mutates quickly (about 8-10 times per month), existing vaccines do not provide a permanent solution and must be updated frequently. HIV also has "rapid viral evolution" which why it has taken so long to cure and has cost the lives of over 25 million people.

Coronaviruses don't mutate as quickly as influenza or hiv. They mutate about twice a month, so maybe there's hope for a vaccine. I just don't think that we should assume that we'll have a vaccine any time soon.

Hakeemtheking and malakas like this.
  14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did anyone see that 30 year old male teacher and coach who passed away and the wife was being interviewed? This guy got it and it was hitting him pretty hard so he went to the ER. Then, they sent him home thinking he wasn't that bad. And, he started feeling better and even ate a meal (which he wasn't eating prior). Then, he started feeling worse again with his breathing. Then, he like passes away in less than 4 hours after the wife talked to him, went to sleep, and then woke up. It seems like you can start to feel better and then it hits back again. I mean...that's scary.

Yung-T, FrontRunner and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. what

what Member

My sister felt better today and she was able to do some charting which means she is feeling better. Again my nephew Kaleb is handling it like a champ. My mom probably slept most of the day but she seems to be feeling better later today. She doesn't have any major difficulty breathing problems like I said which is the main thing for me anyways.
    My mom is just really weak. She is starting her 6th day with the virus.
    She was running a high temperature this morning but she took Tylenol think it broke it.
    The way covid-19 seems to be working, at least in my family's case is you have bouts of really bad days followed by some intermediate good days, or hours.
    Again I'm just hoping my mom is going through the blahs, in that it walloped her really good like a case of the flu but 10 times worse. I'm just encouraging her to drink her Gatorade and walk around if she can and maybe take a shower.
    That's about all for now. On to day 6.

Yung-T, sammy, RustyHarden and 5 others like this.
  16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i feel you, what, my sister is positive her and her boyfriend contracted it. fevers, body aches, dry cough, and my sister lost her sense of taste for several days starting last weekend. he seems to be recovered and she feels mostly fine outside of the cough so no huge concern now. unfortunately they couldn't get tested bc they live in Brooklyn and tests are almost entirely unavailable (or they were two weeks ago). their doctor said unless you need to be hospitalized tests weren't available.

apparently this is the type of country we live in now... who knew.

17. what

what Member

Yeah basically as long as the virus stays away from the lungs as much as possible and they can breathe, as I'm you sure are aware, that's a big victory.
    It sounds like your sister and my sister are on the same timeline, lets hope that they both continue to get well. My mom is bringing up the rear so we are still cautious but optimistic.

#97 what, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    SWTsig, Yung-T, Fyreball and 6 others like this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe... Make America Great Again meaning is to bring it back to Obama years. I dunno

Eric Riley and SWTsig like this.
  19. what

what Member

There is no cure for coronavirus. I need to reiterate this. The hospital won't see you unless you are nearly dead and you certainly won't get admitted to the hospital.
    The update on my family is this: my sister is having a really hard day once again: she is currently on her 10th day and it has hit her hard once again.
    My nephew still says he is fine and he is a huge wrestling fan so he is happy right now.
    My mom is in her 8th day and was coughing up a storm, and felt terrible this morning.
    At this point, there is still no let up in sight. Although the only bright spot is that they are still breathing okay, but my sister feels tightness in her lungs although she says they are clear.
    The sad reality of all of this is that whether you get over this or not is entirely up to you and your immune system.
    Please take this seriously, you don't want to go through this either with your family or you. It is terrible and I just don't know when it will end.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Taking Tylenol and other medicine relieves symptoms but doesn't cure the disease. You should tell her to wrap up in blankets to increase body temperature after downing the Tylenol.

It'll make her sweat so keep up the fluids.

Yung-T, B-Bob and sammy like this.