1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If you don’t want to watch then it’s about a study from one of the top epidemiology colleges about this virus. Their models projected that 1.9% to 11.4% (7 million to 43 million people) of 11 major European countries have already been infected. Those countries are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and UK.

This would be good news because it would imply the mortality rate could be significantly lower than what we are seeing. However we won’t know until we have the antibody test.

Mazulis and RayRay10 like this.
  2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I agree with your argument, my only point is to not trust the CCP and I blame everything that is happening with COVID-19 on the CCP.

They allowed for the farming and wet markets. Not only did they allow it, they didn't regulate the health and safety standards of the both the farming and marketing of the animals.

Therefore I still don't trust the CCP, the data they've published, the handling of COVID-19, or anything they've had to offer to the rest of this world during this pandemic and global collapse

3. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

I just don’t get it Trump blame for this , when living in greater area of New York . We are number one target for terrorist and most dense populated areas of east coast, with highest paid taxes,and highest insurance, most expensive health care. To see our doctors and nurses without PPE, that is what depressing. Watch our governor talking about New Orleans, when people of NY dying , what does Trump have to do with all of this? New York haven’t seen republicans for 20 years. Tristate area been looted by local government for 20 years, there is 0 responsibilities from local politicians. If you recently heard about 1000 ventilators, and you believe what governor is saying about reaching peak in infected people, don’t fool yourself. This is perfect example how this state and city is run.I hope FDR will be the last politician from NY elected president .All gumbas and khaviers will run the country down the drain. This what is depressing today in new york , u can’t even watch the news , because u see the magnitudes of lyes. Compare European bus driver’s outfit with New York doctor uniform , u will understand what I am trying to say.We broke and hopeless, and definitely unprepared. For 16 years non of PPE equipment was supplied to Ny , NJ hospitals , but they gladly took all federal money dedicated for this course.

Astrodome likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't a political forum, I suggest you take your Trump defending post to the proper forum, Debate & Discussion. I hope others will refrain from answering you because this is not meant to be a thread where we discuss politics.

In fact, here is a fantastic beautiful thread you can take your comment to.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/trumps-coronavirus-response.304358/page-77#post-12921570

5. omgTHEpotential

If this new paper by the Imperial College is true, then wouldn't it make the UK's original response strategy (the herd immunity) the correct one? And that original strategy was also formed by the Imperial College. There might be some bias here.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's one way to see potential hot spots. Unfortunately, because testing is different from state to state (some limit the test to certain risk pool thus would see an increase in % positive), it's also not very reliable. But it's still somewhat useful. The other number you can look at is hospitalization and death rate vs # of positive cases (hospital / death are 2-4 week lagging indicator but more accurate - even thought that is also skewed because some state do not test the dead and see if it's from Covid19 or something else). If you look at hosp/positive, there are some state that pop out (MS, OK, SC, VA, WI, GU, OH, MD, KS, CA, GA, LA, MD, NY...)

6% AK
    0% AL
    14% AR
    11% AZ
    23% CA
    19% CO
    22% CT
    0% DC
    15% DE
    14% FL
    21% GA
    6% HI
    18% IA
    7% ID
    0% IL
    0% IN
    24% KS
    0% KY
    23% LA
    9% MA
    26% MD
    18% ME
    0% MI
    18% MN
    0% MO
    31% MS
    9% MT
    13% NC
    18% ND
    0% NE
    14% NH
    0% NJ
    9% NM
    0% NV
    22% NY
    27% OH
    30% OK
    23% OR
    11% PA
    11% RI
    27% SC
    9% SD
    7% TN
    5% TX
    9% UT
    21% VA
    14% VT
    4% WA
    26% WI
    1% WV
    15% WY
    0% PR
    #DIV/0! AS
    25% GU
    0% MP
    0% VI

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is sad. Ireland, like us, continued allowing people to fly in before we realized what effect and consequences could occur. I didn't understand why, when we saw the initial spreading start happening in Europe.

Nobody in charge of decision making took precautions soon enough. It's as if the airline and cruise business profits, and personal and business travel was more important than the risk those people allowed to travel could do to others when they returned. They spread it around before showing symptoms.

I had to fight tooth and nails for refunds on my travel plans made months ago, which is ridiculous. I am still trying to fight deposit money put down for cottages in Ireland for May.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there have been at least 136 mentions of you-know-who in this thread . . . I think that ship has sailed

Trump mentions.jpeg

Ziggy, Bandwagoner and TMac'n like this.
  9. Pringles

Pringles Member

Please wake me up when it's November.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I just want to steer it back in the right direction. Surely, we civilized adults can cooperate, right?

AroundTheWorld and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was going to use state hospitalization rates but then I saw they weren’t reliable based on the reporting

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm curious what do you think is unreliable about them?

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The attack rate.

Italy and China having the same trajectory is completely unexpected because of population and density. fauci and birx were talking about this around a week ago.

the real data about how many people they expect to get the disease is based on the attack rate and using falsified data killed their models.

Again, the CDC and FDA were losers in this no matter what China did. They completely and totally bungled the testing on this. The CDC refused private tests and their own test which took longer to deploy failed.

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Our location in Italy is back in business next Monday. Limited to 10 people at a time though

Mazulis, ElPigto, Joshfast and 2 others like this.
  17. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

This is from late yesterday, but i just happened to catch it. This is crazy.

For the love of God, this **** is not a hoax. Stay home.

Coronavirus News: New guidelines for EMS in NYC show grim reality of COVID-19 pandemic

abc7ny
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 11:38PM

NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- New guidance for EMS in New York City and Long Island says that patients in cardiac arrest should not be transported to the hospital if they cannot be saved in the field.

The hospitals in New York are overrun with coronavirus infections and emergency rooms are trying to minimize the number of difficult arrivals.

"It almost seems like it's never stopping, people keep coming and coming and coming and there's just no space to put them," said ER Dr. Darien Sutton.

City officials have released stark new guidance to equally overworked ambulance crews, effective immediately, if they can't resuscitate a patient in the field, they must withhold CPR and declare the person dead.

They can no longer continue to the hospital.

Continued...

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I mean 0% hospitalization in NJ is one example. Plus if you sum up the hospitalizations with the state data it doesn't match up with the national data.

19. omgTHEpotential

Indeed. The worst thing about this virus is how contagious and overwhelming to the hospitals it can be.

Mazulis, FrontRunner and CCity Zero like this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, it has been a mess.