1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Culture War Z?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The elephant in the room is November and we're all playing games around it. 3 months of enduring pain might be considered a success if spun correctly. It's always in the meta after what the nation went through mid January.

To be fair, the experts relying on modeling to cow skeptics should be even more transparent about what can happen during the time periods after their models and projections. That's scary because it calls for more of the same insanity inducing isolation without a solid course for continuous improvement or progress.

The means the general feelings of some conservatives below are merited to some extent... that it's a tool used to control our actions through fear. But for healthcare professionals, I'd say they're comfortable enough to use fear because fear is a daily work hazard on the lowest of their lists of things to avoid. I'm sure religious leaders would approve of that kind of mindset, for the Greater Good...

...If this really will morph into a Red-Blue urban rural thing, I'm predicting it won't last and it'll die down just like how opinions of being "tougher on crime" wrt to harshly criminalizing opioid users have mysteriously gone down too.

Why for Corona? Big cities are chaotic, germ infested, hedonistic cesspools of crime and liberal sinlessness, but they also have more resources, more specialized brain capital, and more infrastructure to deliver critical emergency needs. Rural folk might think isolation is on their side. Novel diseases did not spare isolated and rural Native Americans. Good luck shifting to a less crowded hospital when it's 50 miles away.

USPS has had a chronic problem of profitability because they kept post offices open in the middles of nowhere.

Suckers...Privatize that b**** like we've done for healthcare.

Better hope we science/pray our way to a vaccine soon.

The Social-Distancing Culture War Has Begun

For a brief moment earlier this month, it seemed as if social distancing might be the one new part of American life that wasn’t polarized along party lines. Schools were closed in red states and blue; people across the political spectrum retreated into their home. Though President Donald Trump had played down the pandemic at first, he was starting to take the threat more seriously—and his media allies followed suit. Reminders to wash your hands and avoid crowds became commonplace on both Fox News and MSNBC. Those who chose to ignore this guidance—the spring-breakers clogging beaches, the revelers on Bourbon Street—appeared to do so for apolitical reasons. For the most part, it seemed, everyone was on the same page.

The consensus didn’t last long.....

Dennis Prager, a conservative commentator, even compared outbreak-mitigation efforts to Nazi appeasement: “That attitude, that the only value is saving a life … it leads to cowardice. It has to. No one can die? Then it’s not a war.”

This dynamic is playing out in small ways across the country. Bret, a sales representative from Plano, Texas, who asked that I not use his last name, proudly told me how unfazed he and his conservative neighbors were by the threat of an outbreak. In his view, the recent wave of government-mandated lockdowns was a product of panic-mongering in the mainstream media, and he welcomed Trump’s call for businesses to reopen by Easter.
    When I asked whether the virus had interfered with his lifestyle, Bret laughed. “Oh, I’m going to the shooting range tomorrow,” he replied.

Was he worried that his friends might disapprove if they found out?

“No,” he told me, “around here, I get much more of people saying, ‘Why don’t you go Saturday so I can go, too?’”

Terry Trahan, a manager at a cutlery store in Lubbock, Texas, acknowledged that a certain “toxic tribalism” was informing people’s attitudes toward the pandemic. “If someone’s a Democrat, they’re gonna say it’s worse,” he told me, “and if someone’s a Republican, they’re gonna say it’s bad, but it’s getting better.”

As an immunocompromised cancer survivor, Trahan said he’s familiar with commonsense social-distancing practices. But as a conservative, he’s become convinced that many Democrats are so invested in the idea that the virus will be disastrous that they’re pushing for prolonged, unnecessary shutdowns in pursuit of vindication.

Among experts, there is a firm consensus that social distancing is essential to containing the spread of the virus—and they warn that politicizing the practice could have dangerous ramifications. “This is a pandemic, and shouldn’t be played out as a skirmish on a neighborhood playground,” Dina Borzekowski, a professor at the University of Maryland School of Public Health, recently told Stat. (For the moment, at least, the scientists seem to have brought the president around: Yesterday, Trump announced he was extending social-distancing guidance until the end of April.)

Katherine Vincent-Crowson, a 35-year-old self-defense instructor from Slidell, Louisiana, has watched in horror this month as businesses around her city were forced to close by state decree. A devotee of Ayn Rand, Vincent-Crowson told me Louisiana’s shelter-in-place order was a frightening example of government overreach.

Of course, not everyone who flouts social distancing is making a political statement. Many have to work because they can’t afford not to; others are acting out of ignorance or wishful thinking. Beyond personal behavior, there is a legitimate debate to be had about how to balance economic demands while combatting a global pandemic.

Still, the polarization around public health seems to be accelerating: In recent days, Republican governors in Alabama and Mississippi have resisted calls to enact more forceful mitigation policies. Polling data suggest that Republicans throughout the U.S. are much less concerned about the coronavirus than Democrats are. According to a recent analysis by The New York Times, Trump won 23 of the 25 states where people have reduced personal travel the least.

Some of this is likely shaped by the fact that the most serious outbreaks so far in the U.S. have been concentrated in urban centers on the coasts (a pattern that may not hold for long). But there are real ideological forces at work as well.

Katherine Vincent-Crowson, a 35-year-old self-defense instructor from Slidell, Louisiana, has watched in horror this month as businesses around her city were forced to close by state decree. A devotee of Ayn Rand, Vincent-Crowson told me Louisiana’s shelter-in-place order was a frightening example of government overreach.

“It feels very militaristic,” she said. “I’m just like, ‘What the hell, is this 1940s Germany?’”

But when we spoke, she seemed even more aggravated by the “self-righteous” people on social media who spend their time publicly shaming anyone who isn’t staying locked in their house. “It really reminds me of my kids who tattle on their siblings when they do something bad,” she said. “I’m a libertarian … I don’t really like being told what to do.”

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

snitches get... corona virus.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This (Social Distancing/Corona scare) is great conspiracy theorist material

Rocket River

dachuda86 likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nook, mdrowe00, dachuda86 and 2 others like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

The number of crazy nuts in this country is unbelievable.

Hakeemtheking and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

dachuda86 likes this.
  8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The strange thing is that when social distancing actually achieves the desired goal of lessening the impact of the virus, these same dip$hit supporting dingbats will use that result as justification that their own misguided belief was correct.

Nook, Ziggy, weakfromtoday and 4 others like this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's great... so far I've heard this is to initiate a one world govt, a single digital currency (the RFID mark fo the beast is coming theory), to limit the population, apocalypse is near, this is to bring all nations under Israel and somehow eliminate their opponents, to install communism worldwide, this is to keep people in because an asteroid will hit earth and they want order, this is a move to kill dissidents and blame the virus, this is a move to install 5g and then depopulate by frying everyone with cancer causing microwaves, this is a move to get the guns, and finally my favorite is that this is the first stage of a zombie virus and the second stage comes later when everyone is infected....

And that's just the tip of the ice berg concerning what I've seen people express fear over. If there is a fear of something, you can bet people are relating it to Corona Virus.

10. Buck Turgidson

You picked a hell of a time to move to Florida.

Nook and bobrek like this.
  11. bobrek

Apparently, even with the governor finally ordering the shutdown, we can still play golf

12. Buck Turgidson

So my golf buddy who is locked down in Sarasota (he can look at the beach from his house but can't go touch it) told me that:

Tiger Woods, Peyton Manning, Phil Mickelson, Tom Brady...

Gonna play a social distance foursome, on tv. Is this legit?

13. Invisible Fan

If it's an essential service, who am I to quesion the rules?

Nook likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand how working out and getting exercise is less essential than going to Church.

Also if religious services are ok, does that mean Yoga classes are too?

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't play a lot of golf but I would imagine staying 6' away from each other would be pretty easy as long as you didn't have a lapse in focus.

16. Invisible Fan

On a serious level. Soaking in rays and fresh air is much better than holing up inside. I wish "within reason" is a caveat everyone can agree to

17. bobrek

I read they are working on that.

And...he is right about the beach. Our beach at Treasure Island is so vast, it would be easy to socially distance.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. bobrek

It is really easy. Our club is only allowing one person per cart unless you are family. Also, they have removed rakes from the traps so multiple people don't touch them. They have inverted the hole cups, so you can easily take your ball out of the hole without touching the flag. Also, no more shotgun starts during their daily "games". Clubhouse is closed. They are no longer storing your clubs. You have to remove your own trash from the carts and the workers will thoroughly disinfect each cart between uses. It helps that an actual doctor owns the club.

Nook and Astrodome like this.
  19. bobrek

Yep..I've been walking at least 90 minutes a day. I was biting the bullet and playing tennis with my wife since all of her tennis drills and competitions have been canceled. Not sure if we can still play tennis at the golf club.

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Were still able to golf here...

So I've been walking a lot.. some days 9 holes, some 18... Good exercise.

T_Man