1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

A very small victory: Shenzhen bans consumption of dogs and cats

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roomba, Apr 2, 2020.

?

Should we eat dogs and cats?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Only on Thanksgiving

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  4. No, but if that stupid mutt next door keeps on barking after midnight...

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

This is a practice that I've protested against for years, and now, external and internal shaming have caused a very major city (and a Southern city, no less) to ban the consumption of dogs and cats. Unlike some of the laws regarding wet markets, which many have rightly pointed out can be manipulated, there is no room for interpretation for this new law.

Links to News Articles:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52131940
    https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...the-eating-of-cats-and-dogs-after-coronavirus
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cats-and-dogs-after-coronavirus-idUSKBN21K0EW

A few cliff notes for those who don't want to read these long-ass articles:
    -An estimated 30 MILLION!! Dogs are consumed in Asia, mostly in east/south-east Asia.
    -Because eating dogs is widely frowned upon, people kidnap others' pets to sell off to restaurants.
    -People are starting to see through the bullshit of "special nutrition" from eating animals that shouldn't be eaten.

It's worth noting that Shenzhen is one of the most foreigner-heavy and well-developed cities in China though, so the attitudes of those interviewed in these news articles are also reflective of that. While most Chinese people don't eat dogs, in another article it states that an estimated 5-9 million dogs are still killed annually in the country.

And a surprising quote from the SZ city government: “This ban also responds to the demand and spirit of human civilization.”

So is all of China next? I don't know, but I'll be trying my damnedest to make it happen (not that I have any more power than the average person), even if it means that an underground dogmeat mafia springs into existence because of this.

Now can somebody do something about the Pangolins and Civets? TCM my ass...

King1 and dachuda86 like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Thank you man, hope you make a concerted effort. This made me happy reading this this morning, just the thought of kidnapping other peoples pets and torturing them before selling them to restaurants makes me turn inside, i hope they end this

King1, FrontRunner, R0ckets03 and 3 others like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

One small step for China! Bravo. They must keep going.

King1 and Roomba like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a good step but my understanding is most of the eating of dogs is now done in rural parts of the country such as Guangxi and Yunnan Provinces.

This is one reason why I'm so against those who blame this disease on Chinese culture as Chinese culture isn't just the eating and trade in exotic animals. When my dad was growing up in Hong Kong there were still a lot of people eating dog and my dad would tell me stories about unscrupulous butchers who would steal dogs from rich neighborhoods and then sell the meat in those same neighborhoods. Now it would be very difficult to find dog meat in Hong Kong because while there still may be some people who still do eat that meat the vast majority of people in Hong Kong find it reprehensible.

There are massive problems in the PRC and problems that contributed to this disease. The Wildlife trade, poor regulation and sanitation. A lot of these problems come down to corruption where officials don't enforce laws and regulations, enforce them selectively and are too interested in protecting their own positions and reputations. To me this is the biggest problem not that Chinese Culture as a whole is to blame and certainly not the millions of ethnic Chinese that live outside the PRC or other Asians.

Invisible Fan, FrontRunner and Roomba like this.
  5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I agree 100%. Most of the people that contribute to this problem aren't the people living in cities or those who travel overseas, which is why it's sad to see that they get the brunt of the anger even though they've never even thought about eating pets/exotic animals. The practice of stealing pets still happens--there was a video trending quite recently of a dog thief and killer who was chased down and rammed into a wall by the dog's owner. But at least now the thieves can be punished far more harshly (besides the guy rammed into a wall, he died).

Corruption is still present here, though perhaps not in a way most would think. It was ostensibly one of Xi's primary focuses to crack down on it, and the really over-the-top gifts are now no longer being accepted...but even today, when you want bureaucrats to hear you out you often need to 送礼. And how exactly do politicians with their rather meager salaries afford to send their kids off to those Ivy League schools, I wonder?

Obviously there are still people ok with eating dogs and bats and **** living in China, but hopefully this virus and new laws will give at least some of them cause to re-evaluate what makes for good eating.

edit: and Chinese culture is such a complex tapestry that it makes me sad that people primarily associate it with bad eating habits instead of more traditional things like respecting your elders, taking care of your family,s̶m̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶k̶i̶d̶s̶, getting a good education, etc.

#5 Roomba, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    rocketsjudoka and FrontRunner like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Very good post and I agree. Chinese culture is very complex. It's not even the same in the PRC as the culture in Guangzhou is very different from the culture in Harbin.

Roomba likes this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

incorrect. i recently saw a video from a american/chinese hiker/biker vlogger who had the same impression but decided to make a hidden video documentary. he was able to find in bejing, shangai, just off dense city centers areas.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems like a debate that should be internal to China and other countries where this is a practice. For me as a Westerner, I don't care if they eat dog in China. Whatever they wanna do.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see the difference between eating dogs and eating pigs.

And China eats 10MM dogs a year, out of a country of over a billion it shows that it's a very tiny part of the population that does this. How does this become the "culture of China"

Eating dogs and even the wet markets are a red herring I believe meant to demonize Chinese people and spread hate.

The real issue is the wildlife trade. That needs to end - not just for consumption either. And here is where the PRC is moving too slowly. The wild life trade needs to be banned worldwide. Wild animals are disease reservoirs and a risk to humanity.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You do understand what "most of" means? I have no doubt if you look very hard you could find people eating dog in Hong Kong. If you look very hard you can probably find people eating dog in America.

This is a flaw of inductive logic. Just because exceptions can be found doesn't mean that applies to the majority.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If we just consider meat is meat eating dog, cat or bat for that matter isn't much different than eating pigs or chickens. Most of Humanity though consider dogs and cats different from pigs. It's not fair to pigs since many studies have shown they are probably as intelligent or more than dogs. The problem though is that since most people don't eat dogs eating dogmeat is truly a black market thing with no sanitary or health regulations so the chances of possible sickness from eating dog is probably higher. For most countries pork production and handling is regulated and even then we still get out breaks of diseases.

I fully agree on the problems with the wild life trade and even though some might downplay it there are many people even in the PRC working to stop it. I will say again if the PRC can get a hold of corruption in general that will do a lot. Also the wildlife trade isn't just a problem for the PRC. It is a worldwide problem going from the former Soviet Union to here in America. In the US it is less about exotic food or medicine but it is the exotic pet trade.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Eating dog meat has been a tradition for several thousand of years in China and Korea and many more countries.
    The ban is unnecessary and will not hold.

13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Less than that now, apparently. I certainly have not run into anyone who partakes in the practice. You make a good point about pigs but I think the difference is that despite their intelligence they are commonly bred as food whereas the old practice of breeding “food dogs” in SK and China is now so rare that even with the meager demand for dog meat, those who serve it still have to source it through other means, which sometimes means snatching stray dogs off the street or somebody’s pet, in the worst case.

It does seem like this ban is meant to go hand in hand with other bans on exotic wildlife as well, but it’s been pointed out to me that there hasn’t yet been a ban that explicitly states that exotic wildlife can’t be used in “medicine”. Maybe there is, but I haven’t read about it yet and I hope I can soon. Either way all the Chinese medicine I knew about growing up was herbal, not some ridiculous cure-all rhino horn concoction...I don’t get why some people are so stupidly irresponsible as to continue to buy exotic medicine when all the information right in front of us shows that it’s more useless for our health than cough syrup.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bats are problematic for the same reason birds are. Flyers tend to carry far more viruses than non-flyers, the understanding i have is because flying takes up so much energy, bats and birds need to be able to expend energy even with a viral infection, therefore they fight the infection differently than other mammals which makes them more likely to carry disease for a longer period of time.

Most of the deadly viruses have their origin in bats or birds. Those are two wild species we need be very careful off, and why chicken farms are problematic as well. It's very easy for wild animals (including birds) to introduce a virus to a packed chicken farm where the virus can spread to the entire population.

This is why the wild life trade is so dangerous - its because animals in the wild have a much higher propensity to come in contact with bats and be an intermediary.

Roomba likes this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Welcome to the... 18th century? o_O

R0ckets03 likes this.
  16. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps, but it’s a tradition shunned by the younger generation and frankly one that would do well to fade away, in my opinion. It’s already on its last legs in modern China anyway.

I think that there’s been enough anger within China at people eating exotic meat that this ban will last.

17. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, great ****ing idea.

Whatever they want to do.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You're a brain washed chinese citizen. Keep telling yourself that bat, bear bile etc is ok, and its fine to skin dogs alive and boil them. Seriously, go **** yourself you're a damn robot

R0ckets03 likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Let me first say I don't eat dogs or cats. That being said, how is it morally different than eating pigs or rabbits? Emotional attachment?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sounds like a good argument for normalizing and promoting the practice so that there can be regular suppliers who can make an honest living farming it.