1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pandemic Work from Home Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamFisher, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

Sucks to drive to the office every day...

[​IMG]

CCity Zero, Blake, Ottomaton and 3 others like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Russell was on Good Morning America from his home. He says he likes being home with the wife and kids.

Shows him doing pushups with his boy on his back.

i didn't know his wife played for UCLA, as well.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If any of us die during the pandemic, our funeral is probably gonna be on Zoom.

Time to pick a fun virtual background, just in case.

4. Buck Turgidson

If you know you're gonna die, just start swallowing all the popcorn kernels you can.

You'll have the most epic cremation ever.

5. Asian Sensation

Looks like a road that could lead to Midsommar. Do not like. :eek:

Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Actually starting to get used to working from home. Seems the kids are too.

Trying to keep working time just to like 7:30 to about 6 or so, so its normal. But sometimes cut a little early if i hear the kids giving the wifey a hard time. Most of my co-workers (especially people higher than me) are late risers so, so I continue to get emails after that. Just respond from my phone if I can though.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

First week completed today, it's not too different than regular. I don't mind it to be honest, wife and are both set up in our dining room so it's not too bad.

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am in the healthcare field so I have to work but our corporate office is on lock down in Maine and its been interesting watching them video conference from home, kiddos know no boundaries nor do animals, personally I am glad I am at work, I could not work from home but kudos to you that have to.......PS, traffic has been so minimal a 30 minute drive now takes me 10 min :)

Just curious, will you go back to work when Harris County lifts the band or will they keep you home longer?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Hey, if I thought it would stop the plague I would sacrifice you in a heartbeat. :)

B-Bob likes this.
  10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm going to guess my company takes longer to bring us back in the office than Houston does to lift the stay at home order, because my company told us to go home before there was a stay at home order.

I'm kind of curious when people will feel "safe" to go back to normal though. If there are cases out there period, can't this start all over again? At least until there's a proven vaccine (which I heard could be like 14 months).

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

New slogan. "Play Inside. Play for the World."

I think @SamFisher "run three laps" in the backyard game still counts.

mikol13, SamFisher and B-Bob like this.
  12. GIGO

GIGO Member

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Definitely settling into a routine now.

Wife is downstairs Zooming with kids (that she usually pulls from classes to help with their reading). Kids are in a bedroom with a laptop Zooming with their class. I'm upstairs doing my normal work from home routine.

We will all eat lunch here pretty soon, then go on a family walk/bike-ride from about 1 to 2. I even have it blocked off every day on my Outlook calendar, LOL...

Still doing pretty good and enjoying the extra time with my family, but like I told my wife the other day, at about 8:30 or 9 every night I start getting ancy and wanting everyone to go to bed so I can finally have some alone time!

"Are you tired? No? Maybe you should take some Nyquil..."

CCity Zero, mikol13 and DoitDickau like this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Beautiful but...these things can be deceiving.

[​IMG]

CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

how long will work from home be a thing? Rest of the year?

Efficiency is down

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The longer the lockdown goes, the more elaborate my work/teach from home setup becomes.

Right now, I have a 2 in 1 laptop in "stand mode," connected to a 27 in Dell Canvas on an Ergotron arm, Logitech c920 webcam, a document camera, a Samson Q2U microphone attached to a boom arm, and wireless external mouse and keyboard. It's pretty convenient working with two touch/pen-enabled screens for teaching math.

If this lockdown continues for much longer, I'll probably be working with the full Mr. Universe office.
    [​IMG]

#136 Carl Herrera, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wasting time and reading news articles like this.
    https://www.vox.com/2015/5/26/8646675/apollo-10-turd-poop
    During Apollo 10 — in which a crewed spacecraft orbited the moon as a dress rehearsal for the first lunar landing — astronauts encountered a deep mystery.

"Oh — who did it?" commander Tom Stafford suddenly asked, six days into the mission, as the crew discussed preparations for leaving the moon's orbit.

"Who did what?" inquired command module pilot John Young.

"Where did that come from?" interjected lunar module pilot Eugene Cernan.

A moment later, for listeners at ground control, the mystery was resolved.

"Give me a napkin quick," commanded Stafford. "There's a turd floating through the air."

It sounds apocryphal, but it's the truth: in an era when spacecraft waste management consisted of "a plastic bag which was taped to the buttocks to capture feces," turds could escape from time to time and float about the spacecraft.

[​IMG]
    The fecal bag used by Apollo astronauts. (NASA)

The Apollo 10 astronauts proceeded to debate the provenance of the turd in question, with no one owning up to producing it:

[​IMG]
    (NASA)

And just nine minutes later, Cernan was flabbergasted to be interrupted yet again by another floating piece of feces:

[​IMG]
    (NASA)

The discovery was followed by another round of denial. To this day, the great space turd mystery of 1969 has never been solved.

Read more about the weirdest things we've left on the moon, or discover 9 surprising facts about feces you may not know.

davidio840 likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm seeing some real painful revelations among old-school management that WFH is effective. A lot of these old farts have a hard time admitting they are wrong for so many years and are bad managers to begin with (micro-managers) so this is hard for them. I think after this pandemic is over and the market corrects, a lot of them will retire due to the culture shock of the shift to WFH.

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

We were hoping this would cause our higher ups to realize we could do at least one WFH day or, a 9/80 type of schedule.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We worked from home for 2 months after Harvey and the higher ups saw that we didn't miss a beat so they instituted a 2 day a week WFH schedule for everyone.

After this is all over, I'm hoping we can do it even more.