1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Texans Off-season 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What if he is healthy and gets 1600 yards in total offense? Say a 1000 yards rushing and 600 yards receiving, 12-14 total TDs? And the Texans have Fuller for 15 games, Watson throws for 4000 yards and 30+ TDS using all his weapons? All of which is possible.

We don’t know what will happen. It can ALL GO BAD, TOO.

They will get another WR in the draft. Let’s see what the weapons list will look like before going off the deep end.

2. Fantasma Negro

For those who don't know how, this is how to insult Carlos Hyde. I coveted Hyde since Ohio state, I've always wanted him to be a Texan, then to finally get it and see him run like that and still manage a thousand yards smh. It was like sex with no legs. I never said 2,000yrs, I said he'd challenge Foster's 1,616 yrs and I believe he will also challenge Foster's 16 tds as well

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What reason do you have to believe he will be healthy after the last couple of years?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Houston Texans

Teams were not shocked the Texans traded Hopkins. Several execs said Houston had gauged teams’ interest in the receiver even last season. What shocked teams was what Houston got in return for Hopkins and a fourth-round pick: Cardinals running back David Johnson and Johnson’s guaranteed $10.2 million salary, plus a second-round pick and a 2021 fourth-rounder. Many execs said unkind things about this trade and the job Texans coach Bill O’Brien is doing as GM. We’ll get to some of their criticisms, but first, in the interests of fairness, does anyone sort of see what the Texans were thinking here?

“They have been shopping the guy (Hopkins) for a year-and-a-half, so let’s not pretend they do not know what the market is,” an exec said of Houston. “They clearly knew the market. Other teams were scared of the market, and I think with players like Hopkins who have actually held out, there is fear of what the contract looks like. Do I think they should have taken on David Johnson? No, they did not do a great deal, but they were at a point where they just wanted to move on, and that is the danger of having the head coach being the GM.”

Hopkins has three years remaining on his contract. Another exec suggested the Texans feared setting a bad precedent by reworking that deal, were already budgeting for Deshaun Watson’s second contract, planned to target receivers in the draft and had some lingering concerns stemming from Hopkins’ availability for practice, which at its worst included the receiver playing in games without participating in warmups.

“I’m in the minority here,” a former head coach said, “but I can understand what Houston is doing. The coach did not like Hopkins and then he is all over the place as a player. I don’t know how well he runs anymore. It’s hard to evaluate when that is the guy the quarterback is going to throw to all the time, and he is a scrambling quarterback who is buying time. It’ll be the same thing in Arizona. You can argue what they got for him, but if you believe in the back like they obviously do, you feel like you got a No. 1 pick (Johnson) and you got a No. 2 pick. O’Brien is looking at it that way.”

Others are not looking at it that way.

Evaluators agreed that Hopkins has declined, with one comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald several years ago, when Fitzgerald’s numbers were still robust, but his physical attributes had eroded some.

“Still, I could not pull any punches,” this evaluator said. “There was just no way to spin it. People were texting their buddies from the Cardinals. Look, I’m not as anti-running back as the analytics guys are, but even having said that, it is mind-blowing, especially when you see what Minnesota got in the (Stefon) Diggs trade.”

Johnson should be a much better fit for the Texans’ offense than he was in the offense Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury reconfigured last season, well after Arizona had struck a long-term deal with Johnson. Still, there are other productive backs, including Carlos Hyde, although Johnson offers much more as a receiver.

“I really like Hopkins, I wouldn’t give him up and I can find a running back comparable to David Johnson,” a former GM said. “Hopkins is already making $14 million. You pay him $19 million. Big deal. You get a couple more years. I don’t trust those decision makers in Houston. They scare me. There is too much of a coach mindset. What do I need today?”

Another exec thought the situation in Houston was regrettable enough for Watson to resist entering into contract talks until ownership commits to a more conventional structure, or at least commits to employing a prominent personnel evaluator to balance out O’Brien.

“There is a team-building philosophy to trade your best player to replenish your roster,” another exec said. “If they had gotten more for Hopkins, this would all make sense. They are going to be able to replace Hopkins with that second-round pick based off the volume of receivers in the draft, but good God, you could have gotten better value. And it doesn’t stop there.”

This exec called into question the $18 million guaranteed that Houston allocated for Randall Cobb, the $12 million annual average for Bradley Roby and the $7 million average for Eric Murray. But nearly all the focus was on the Hopkins trade.

“It seemed like it was, ‘I want to get rid of the guy (Hopkins) because I don’t want the guy,’ instead of, ‘I want to get rid of the guy to get better,’ ” an evaluator said.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I expect the oline to be better than last season but I don't know if we can expect David Johnson to average 5 yards a carry on 327 touches.

raining threes likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

None of this will happen. He is too busted up.

7. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Freaking steal

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

I hope you’re being sarcastic

11. Fantasma Negro

What are you talking about? The season after running for 1,200 he broke his wrist in the first game, that's what put him on injured reserve in 2017. In 2018, new coach, new qb, he played 16 games ran for 940. Last season, once again, new coach and new qb management was looking to void some of his guarantees so even though he played thirteen games they reduced his touches. There's nothing wrong with him at all. I'm not sure where everyone is getting that this dude was in a debilitating accident or something, besides an ankle sprain and a back issue that he played through or at least was available through, there's nothing wrong with this dude. We have a surprisingly underrated run blocking line, I'm gonna just stop arguing with yall

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. texans1095

texans1095 Member

O’Brien’s burner account quick to praise this move. Cracks me up:D

J.R. and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

That explains this:

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing wrong with him at all. oh really. @Fantasma Negro :rolleyes:

yeah stop arguing because you sound ridiculous trying to be that 1 guy. everyone here knows he's on the decline because that's exactly what his production is showing. quit telling everyone otherwise when it's based on nothing but your hopes and dreams

(Stats via Pro Football Focus)

Kenyan Drake 2019

Carries - 171
    Yards per attempt - 4.8
    Yards after contact - 2.69
    Forced missed tackle rate - 17.0%
    Explosive run rate - 12.9%

Chase Edmonds 2019

Carries - 60
    Yards per attempt - 5.1
    Yards after contact - 2.95
    Forced missed tackle rate - 13.3%
    Explosive run rate - 15.0%

David Johnson 2019

Carries - 94
    Yards per attempt - 3.7
    Yards after contact - 2.05
    Forced missed tackle rate - 6.4%
    Explosive run rate - 8.5%

David Johnson 2018

Carries - 258
    Yards per attempt - 3.6
    Yards after contact - 2.38
    Forced missed tackle rate - 8.5%
    Explosive run rate - 7.8%

David Johnson 2016

Carries - 293
    Yards per attempt - 4.2
    Yards after contact - 2.53
    Forced missed tackle rate - 15%
    Explosive run rate - 11.6%

Jwise44 likes this.
  15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before this offseason....

Who?

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How do you know? You his doctor? You seen his off-season workouts?

17. Fantasma Negro

Super Bowl winning injury prone DT who is actually pretty disruptive when healthy brought in the push whoever they draft to be the future of that spot. And who knows, he might stay healthy and put in a solid season

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

All these guys are being scrapped from the bottom of the barrel who can’t find a legit spot on a good team elsewhere. So they’re just taking as much money as they can for the time being

#1058 YOLO, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Regardless if David Johnson channels the spirit of Arian Foster and went crazy, I still think it was a sht trade.

RB don't last as long as a wr, plus this guy has a sht ton of injuries and his last great season was ages ago. Hyde was a serviceable rb, who we could have just paid instead of grabbing an expensive ass injured/worn out rb.

We can hopefully wish he would do well, but let's just agree that it was a sht trade and no amount of spin can change that.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Still wondering who Eric Murray is (Daryl's cousin?) and why they paid him nearly $7M/yr.