1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. biina

biina Member

Are they the president? Do they have access to the kind of intel that Trump does? Did they make (and keep making) the kind of irresponsible statements that Trump makes?

Trump keeps on being irresponsible about it and has turned the news briefing into a reality show about himself (now talking about his ratings). He makes one irresponsible statement after another (Easter Bunny, Quanrantine, Ventilators, Hoarding/Stealing etc), vacillates on decisions like using DPA, and leaves us hoping others can push back enough to curb is irresponsible tendencies.

Cuomo, DeBlasio, and many others, cannot be exonnerated from underestimating the pandemic but can still be commended for their effort since.

Trump on the other hand, is simply an incorrigible toddler.

jboslett, ROCKSS, FrontRunner and 3 others like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good post and well put.

Acknowledging that we appear to not be hitting the worst case scenario isn't happy talk. I've been quoting Tyrion Lannister a lot recently "most men would deny hard truth than face it." There's been a lot of denial from the top on down during this crisis. Denial too would also be not acknowledging that at the present course we're going avoid the worst case scenario.

ElPigto likes this.
  3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Let’s think about this for a minute. We are all thrilled when It appears that Trump is listening to the experts.

trump is so consistently stupid that we applaud when little Donald brings home a passing grade on his math worksheet.

jboslett, CometsWin, Anticope and 4 others like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As for moving goal posts here is what I wrote:

My goal posts haven't changed, but sounds like yours has. And you wonder why everyone thinks you are a Trump supporter pretending not to be.

200K is part of the worst case scenario model by CDC just a few weeks back, and now you guys are trying to say that, "hey, what was a worst case scenario a month ago is now us doing a great job!"

Incredible. And you accused others of moving goal posts.

joshuaao, RESINator and vlaurelio like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Trumpist suspension of disbelief ("200000 dead not so bad!) will hit a brick wall of reality when people you know are dead and unemployment is at 25% and people can't pay rent.

Check this post in two months.

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He's putting the cart before the horse again but this is something I would very much like to see passed.

#1446 Andre0087, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    jboslett, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

It would be a great idea, if it had been proposed and worked on last year. Instead, I have a feeling it's just a ploy by Trump to push for reelection. If you remember, he said that he wanted to get an infrastructure bill passed prior to his election...and then never worked towards it.

But, this is probably not the time for a bill like this. We just pushed out a huge stimulus bill that will hopefully alleviate some issues with the economy, but we're likely going to see a global recession at some point soon. Adding $2 Trillion on top of our current mounting deficit, that may require additional stimulus checks, is just asking for trouble.

That is, unless new taxes are proposed to help offset some of the costs. However, I don't see Trump and/or the Republicans going for more taxes based on what they've done so far.

8. SamFisher

This is a great idea, and I support it, of course the way these things work given the long tail of these projects, the benefits will accrue to the Biden Administration. :D

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. SamFisher

RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It must be time for trump to distract out with another empty promise re: infrastructure... which has been a long-running joke as he then focuses on other topics...

joshuaao, vlaurelio, adoo and 2 others like this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

Mike Francesa, a NYC radio icon, who first emerged as a supporter of Trump’s presidential campaign in spring 2016, has become increasingly disparaging of the administration’s handling of the pandemic in recent days on social media

Francesa also took aim at the president’s comments on Sunday regarding the projected death toll from Covid-19 infections in the U.S., which the administration expects could result in 100,000 to 200,000 fatalities among Americans.

Trump had said that “if we can hold that down, as we’re saying to 100,000 [deaths],
    it’s a horrible number, maybe even less, but to 100,000, so we have
    between 100,000 and 200,000, we all together have done a very good job.”​

“How can you have a scoreboard that says 2,000 people have died and tell us, ‘It’s OK if another 198,000 die, that’s a good job,’” Francesa said. “How is that a good job in our country? It’s a good job if nobody else dies! Not if another 198,000 people die! So now 200,000 people are disposable?”

ROXTXIA likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"If only 98,0000 or 198,000 more people die---as long as it's not me, Ivanka, or Barron----then that's a big win."

Imagine the Hannity Crowd after President Obama said up to 198,000 more deaths would be a really good job.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has less to do with the virus and more to do with his reelection campaign.

I think 2 trillion is too much. The nation needs to upgrade its infrastructure but it needs to be done the right way, and not as a panic spend emergency measure to save his reelection bid

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Trump preas con on now. Never heard such meandering babble

15. AB

AB Contributing Member

Pence always uses 'at the president's direction' or 'as president said' or something with word president before anything he says.

Perfect VP isn't he ??Never seen this from any other VP

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We aren't even close to that ..... 3780 is the total.

17. AB

AB Contributing Member

Trump just said "There was a group that said lets ride it out.. "

which group would be that. I thought Trump said that

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I personally do not think it will pass 50k.
    I think it will be less than the vietnam war..
    If i were betting would say 30k.

Trump is on tv right now saying 100-200k

19. AB

AB Contributing Member

"lot of people were saying . lets just ride it out" thank God for Trump.. what if he listened to 'lot of people'

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If 200000 people are going to die, what is the point of social distancing? The US government has failed. Even if you don't believe the Chinese numbers they have done much better job than the US government.