1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting an Asian Neighborhood During COVID

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 29, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks y'all for all the good posts. In a crisis like that this it becomes easy to scapegoat and people are looking to blame. As I said in my post either unintentionally or just out of callousness there are a lot of people who get caught up in this that have absolutely nothing to do with this. They just become a convenient target, or as put here are considered irrelevant. This isn't a new situation and in every crisis of this nature we see things like this happening. What is different now is that this is coming on top of the major struggles that everyone is facing.

As I said for neighborhoods like Little Mekong that is the frontline of both the economic challenges and that Asians also have to deal with being targetted with bias and bigotry makes it even harder. Really the best thing all of us can do is to give them business. Get take out and groceries from them.

Also for Invisible Fan there already has been violence targeting Asians.
    https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/3/25/21190655/trump-coronavirus-racist-asian-americans

“They just see that you’re Asian and you are horrible”: How the pandemic is triggering racist attacks
    Racial slurs and hateful acts against Asian Americans are on the rise.
    And some harassment has become physical: A woman wearing a face mask in New York was punched and called “diseased.” A 16-year-old teen from Los Angeles was taken to the emergency room after being assaulted and bullied by peers. Most recently, an Asian family in Texas was targeted during a knife attack on March 15 while grocery shopping, according to the local CBS affiliate. Both the father and son were cut badly across their faces.
    More at link.

Also there have been attacks in many other countries. For example In London a Singaporean student was beaten and In Toronto a Korean man was stabbed.

Hakeemtheking and Nook like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Last time I went to HMart of Grand Pkwy, they were well stocked and their volume was probably 10% of normal. I'm guessing many other Asian supermarkets are like that. Even Asians are too afraid to shop there. #idiots.

tinman likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can yall keep you know who in the debate section?

VanityHalfBlack and arkoe like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I apologize for having D&D material spill into The Hangout. I was thinking initially of this being more benign but I got much more worked up in the original post. Moderators if you want to move this to D&D please do.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Rileydog likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought your post was fine.

arkoe likes this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

Everything within reason right? Of course Chinatown in Houston has many clean (and delicious) restaurants and grocery stores all up and down Bellaire Blvd. However, I have certainly seem some horrible conditions and exotic looking species in tanks in many places along Bellaire as well. Often I would brave the conditions on the basis that it was "authentic" or the norm as far as Chinatown places are concerned, those are the places I will never, ever, EVER offer my patronage again, and I sure as hell won't feel guilty or racist about it either. Should the cleanliness and tank maintenance and selection of species change I would revisit, but until then, no thanks.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Don't apologize. You did nothing wrong here.

arkoe likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

your assumptions are correct, that's why I'll go there for my shopping for basic goods and a gallon of kimchi.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

you mean seafood? i don't think crabs or crawfish can carry viruses.

the issue with wuhan is that they had a zoo of mammals and reptiles on top of each being slaughtered live.
    And Mammals and reptiles don't belong IN A SEAFOOD MARKET.

11. VanityHalfBlack

You sound like Milton from office space. You live in Minny?

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Bottom line: Racists are stupid

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. SuraGotMadHops

I said "exotic" species of fish and seafood. No I do not consider crabs and crawfish exotic. There is a lot more weird species of sea creatures in some of these tanks than typical seafood fare.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

So the tanks are dirty?

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Language and context is an interesting form of communication. Most "exotic" thing I remember from asian market is sea cucumber or even squid and octopus. I'm not a seafood lover but people normally don't get sick from that. I haven't seen anything live outside of seafood, but maybe I don't have the right hookups.

Anyways, the meat section in those markets definitely have a dirtier vibe than Whole Foods. They cram everything into the fish tank...probably not hygenic. It's half the grocer not gaf and half customers don't fully trust the grocer presenting the product and want to see everything upfront.

16. SuraGotMadHops

*sigh* improve your reading comprehension 99er.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

it should come as no surprise that Asian Americans are being targeted, the world is full of low IQ idiots who are always looking for a target to take their anger or frustration out on

acting like someone is a walking virus vessel just because they’re Asian is so dumb...as if Asian Americans are out here capturing and eating bats like over in China...as if they all came over from Wuhan and other heavily affected regions recently

when I go out, Asians are the main ones wearing gloves and face masks...they seem to be taking a lot of precaution and taking this virus seriously

I’m worried about getting it from the morons who think this virus is nothing, who insist on going to parties or having get togethers...the ones who have been dirty as hell for years, but are now forced to change all of their dirty habits because of this virus...U think these people will continue to wash their hands and sanitize for any significant length of time after being so dirty for years? Yeah right...

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

You need specifics bud
    Exotic fish

that could be finding Nemo
    Say the species

non 99er

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Do they do curbside delivery?

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

I don't have anything against anyone or any race. But I have lived on this earth long enough to know that there are ignorant people everywhere.

Stereotypes and racism are thrown at every group of people out there. From blacks to mexicans to indians to asians...it's life man. what are you going to do? fix 7 billion people?

People here or see something on TV or from someone and they apply to an entire population. That's the sad nature of it. Everyone thinks all Indians talk like Apu on simpsons, cows roam the streets and all of them know how to charm snakes...oh we all own gas stations too. How many here automatically assume or picture a muslim guy with a turban when you hear terrorist?

That said, I was in China last year and also in Vietnam..and my Vietnamese food tour guide said if it moves, we eat it. She also said in some areas like Mekong delta, rats cost more than chicken.

VOX did a decent video about it:

snowconeman22 likes this.