1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] MLB suspends spring training, delays Opening Day at least two weeks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The key is that you don't need 82 games to figure out which NBA teams are the best, most playoff worthy. Sure you get a little variability between seeds 6-8 or sometimes between 3-5. The 50 game NBA season after the lockout was pretty well received... and even though it was a shortened season, nobody really considers the winner of that year to have an asterisk. Also, the NBA's popularity is helped by an exciting playoffs and hindered by a longer regular season... with ratings trends reinforcing this concept.

There's also more players sitting out more and more regular season games to stay fresh for the playoffs.

I'm for adding more baseball playoff teams/rounds to try and limit some of the post-season variability... but you do need a large regular season sample size to truly justify which teams are playoff worthy or not.

RayRay10 and SemisolidSnake like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If there are still travel restrictions, of any kind, in place... it will have to wait... per their recently released agreement.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not exactly. Per Passan and McDaniel, there are huge caveats in the agreement to allow MLB with MLBPA agreement to override the 3 conditions. Manfred, it says, can consider the use of neutral sites instead of home stadiums as well as the possibility of playing in front of no fans. I'm expecting MLB to pod teams at neutral sites if travel restrictions are still in place for some MLB cities, but not most cities.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I read it as the travel restrictions would still outweigh the others.

They said they could put the caveats in place if the max social gathering restrictions were still in place... but travel restrictions would still prevent games.

I just don't have a lot of faith for MLB to execute what no other sports league has been able to do in the world just yet.... and add the more complexing logistics of huge roster sizes, equipment needs, and trying to play actual 3-4 game series only at sites that are deemed "safe"... with very little revenue to gain if they're playing for zero fans.

5. msn

msn Member

Huge rosters? NFL is bigger. How big is an NHL roster?

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That was in the initial article. Subsequent article by Passan with McDaniel specified, "The agreement outlines three necessities to start the 2020 season, though it offers significant caveats that allow Manfred -- in consultation with the union -- to override them."
    On MLB if they wait until July to start season will not have to deal with a virus that has zero immunity among the populace and limited testing capabiliutes. If they are playing at neutral sites, teams likely aren't going to be traveling much. Inter-league play is out. Inter-division play may also be out. I'd guess 4-6 teams would be podded together and play at the same or nearby neutral sites for the early part (or full) of the season.

On revenue, I'm not sure if they can make money or not, but there is a lot more money lost if no games are played. If MLB has an opening day, I expect the TV numbers will rival an NFL game.

My fear is that the virus rebounds in October. In this case, MLB would have to end postseason along with a big shift in what is considered normal in the U.S.

#46 Joe Joe, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

23 man active NHL roster. 12 forwards, 6 D, 2 goalies, 0-1 reserve goalie and 2-3 reserve skaters.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

With TV deals already inked, that really doesn't make them any extra money. It will be a windfall, however, for the network that airs those games if they decide to raise advertising rates specifically right then/there... but doubtful that plays into the next round of negotiations on TV deals. If anything, networks should be requesting a rebate given they will not be getting what they paid for.

That should be the concern once the country "re-opens"... along with seeing what is left of the hospitals in major medical centers.

Still pretty amazing that Syndegard was able to get an elective surgery done when others with cancer have been forced to postpone for now.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So in other words, you agree with me that MLB stands to lose a lot of money if games aren't played. I never mentioned anything about extra money from TV deals for higher viewership...only that there would likely be higher viewership for opening day.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course they're all going to lose money... now is really not the time to worry about that. I really doubt they're trying to rush back to salvage games to mitigate financial losses at this point... without being respectful/mindful of the public health concerns. (and if they are, shame on them).

China basketball just decided to shut down their planned return... they're really going to be the benchmark for all other sports leagues, given they've had the longest time to make a 'recovery' of sorts. If they can't get back to any sort of modified arrangement of games any time soon, I really don't see the US being in a better position to force the issue.

11. AstrosRockets1818

Best guess ... opening day for baseball starts on....?

htwnbandit likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think they end up either with a compromised "token" exhibition season without playoffs this fall, something they can sell tickets for... and not necessarily with all teams.... or they have some sort of tournament (CWS format).

I'm expecting we will know more, either way, around mid-June to July.... but that's just getting to the point of the possible execution of a plan... and not yet necessarily opening facilities to begin training and having organized activities.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Mid June, July 1st at the latest. I caught the very end of the sportscast on 13 this evening but they said that several Astros have "admitted" that MLB will start with no fans in the stands. Seems to me they know the financial ramifications are huge to just get some games on TV at first, then hopefully bring in fans at some point not toooo long after that. A mid to late May, or even June 1st time to start ramping up camps (without fans) would put them on target to open the season Mid June to July 1st.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

With Texas expected to have its peak infected/symptomatic/hospitalized in early May... which means it’s highest death numbers will be after that... this timetable remains doubtful.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are an optimist. We will lucky to see any games this season.

16. The Beard

maybe, but you would argue with a rock so....

fact is anyone can find “data” to back up their claims here, you really have no idea when the “peak” will happen or when government will make certain changes

17. The Beard

or ever again! This could be the end of the world as we know it. Pretty good chance Coronavirus can live on the seams of a baseball for up to 50 years making it almost impossible for the game to ever return. It can also live up to 30 years on the seams of a football. Because basketball seams do not rise, the Coronavirus scientifically can not live on a basketball, therefore the NBA will be the only professional sport to ever make a comeback. Salaries will never be the same though as at minimum 200,000,000 of our nations population will die from this virus forever changing the fan base. It will likely put all television companies out of business also meaning only those who emerge from this hell as millionaires will be able to afford professional sports (NBA only) as the rest of us will have to use our resources to farm and ranch so that we can eat

best thing you can do is record game 5 so you can watch it everyday for the rest of your life (which is likely only a matter of hours)

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are wise beyond your years :)

19. The Beard

I've only watched it 12 times since this crap started lol

No Worries likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

LOL... I'm not arguing.... just using real-time data, that changes on a daily basis, to extrapolate projections... to make informed "guesses" on when areas of the country can possibly resume normal activities, let alone professional sports.

The hardest part of projecting when the US can get back to "normal" is that this is truly a regional disease. The central part of the country, and much of Texas, are still relatively unscathed for now. Florida and the northeast... along with other dense cities such as Chicago/LA are currently hit the hardest. Houston, for all the complaints about the urban sprawl and lack of public transportation, actually is a better set-up to avoided the early surge... but the expectations remain simply due to the overall population size.

For MLB to have the neutral site option... places that are in consideration now may not look as favorable a month from now. On the flip-side, places that are hit hardest now may be more on the road to recovery. But at no point is it expected that the entire country, and pro sports, is likely to be on the same timetable.