1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

At 24, I'm invested 100% in VTSAX and my strategy was to buy for 40 years without selling.

The stock market will almost assuredly continue to drop if these estimated death toll numbers are even remotely accurate no? I'm strongly considering moving all my investments into a money market for a couple of weeks to soften the blow. That's something I never would have considered even 2 weeks ago.

Outlier likes this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Anyone here follow the or coal industry or invest in coal stocks? Was looking at HCC. 1.7 P/E (!), solid cash flow, high current ratio - super value just zero/negative growth. Any other coal stocks that I should look at? Fair to assume that even in down turn power plants will keep going and coal demand will remain?

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i was looking at some of the midstream energy guys the other day with the same type of thinking. Talked to a buddy of mine that works for one of the midstream PE shops... they’re basically lotto tickets. A few of them will give you massive returns over the next few years. Some of them might get completely ****ed and file bankruptcy. Which is which is the question, if you’re not deep in the industry or analysis of it.

saitou likes this.
  4. Senator

Senator Member

Would stay away, cataclysmic events will only speed up the transition away from coal in the first world. You'll still have third world countries using it as they do not have infrastucture or funds for it in place. Quite a few will go under and there will have to be consolidation to survive, not just with dying industries but with energy production itself.

saitou likes this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Literally anyone with a 401K is going through the same conundrum. The advice generally is to leave it alone as time is on your side. For every 25% growth years, there's a -30% one. Overall, you invested in the market to get ~8%, which you should over the next 40+ years you have left.

The problem with moving money out is you have to be right twice about the market. 1. getting out at the top. 2. getting back in at the bottom.
    In hindsight, we should have moved it out in Feb...and for all we know we might say the same in 2 months lol.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If the estimated numbers are accurate then it means it's already priced into the market and big man is going to eat your lunch when you sell everything on Monday.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

ABT is up 12% premarket.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  8. JayZ750

@CCity Zero

what you hearing bro?!?!? lol

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, sorry man, I had some stuff come up this morning for work, and missed the chance to post one ... So don't buy but TMDI was one, it already looks to have hit from what I can see, unless it reverses I think it's done, I'll update if I hear more. Usually I get 1-3 per day, so will try to be diligent, if I see more, tomorrow should be a lot easier for me to post early. We would have had about an 18 cent entry and target was higher but we'd have made something. Not the best one but something, target was supposed to be near double so watch it for fun but I didn't buy any.

That volume is ridiculous though

#9109 CCity Zero, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    JayZ750 likes this.
  10. JayZ750

Need to get some pre-market to test!! Looks like technical indicators RIGHT NOW say sell.

Volume indicators seem to be the most telling the last few weeks, but again, mostly from a look-back basis, except for the couple of stocks that seem to be on multi-day runs.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, don't buy in on this one now. I meant we needed to buy like 2 hours ago when I saw the tip, unfortunately I didn't buy/post etc, I expect this to one to be done.

I'll try to post ahead of the next one I get

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Okay, watch TBLT and TRNX, possible night hold if dip/good entry but I'm just watching. I sometimes don't like holding overnight but we can watch at least.

Today's ones so far I'm not feeling.

#9112 CCity Zero, Mar 30, 2020
  13. JayZ750

Thumbs up.

Looks like ECOR took some of the bluster of TMDI... but it is up a good % (like 33%) since my last post... so still looking good for you! (had you invested, lol)

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, I know!! I will try to post these earlier, I'm not in but TMDI could go more, just prefer us to get in early so we can exit easier.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Trump announced social distancing to last through the end of April. Millions of business are literally going to be closed for another 3 weeks. How is the market up?

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Fed giving everyone money.

[​IMG]

17. JayZ750

At the same time, gold/commodities/bitcoin are down...

??

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My stupid notion: markets increasingly understanding what to expect in the pandemic. Rate of increase down in spain, italy. US should peak at worst increases in a couple of weak or so and then start the slow taper downward.

Saying, with good confidence, "could probably kill between 100-200 thousand Americans" is much better for markets than "could um, I dunno exactly, kill a few, but some scientists are saying millions of Americans. Okay?"

Kim and CCity Zero like this.
  19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

**** is rigged

fallenphoenix and Bandwagoner like this.
  20. JayZ750

Now at $0.39... more than double on the day and like 60%+ since you mentioned it. solid, keep bringing them tips, lol! And the volume remains insane.

Meanwhile, ECOR was pump and dump

EDIT: And PERFECTLY timed by me... crashing down a bit now! Lol.
    But still ended almost perfect double.
    Nice call!

Give us some tomorrow bright and early ;)

#9120 JayZ750, Mar 30, 2020