1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fauci disappeared?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 22, 2020.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Facts have a liberal bias right? Dr Fauci haven't said anything that isn't the fact.

2. Nook

Nook Member

deb4rockets, joshuaao and Andre0087 like this.
  3. Senator

Senator Member

The media, mainstream of any form left or right, is a virus in itself. A pathogen that has forcefully penetrated the life blood of the American people and trying to suck it's blood dry for ratings.

ipaman likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In such a crisis, I'm actually all for a media effort to placate the Toddler in Chief.

"Did you see how secure and righteous the president was to let Fauci speak??! That was amazeballs and the best thing ever! Thank god we have such a wise leader who will let the scientist have some time at each press conference!"

AleksandarN, saitou, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly, the press needs to remember he is a narcissist.

“Looking especially fit and handsome, the President courageously informed his loving people that there are possible cures around the corner. The Presidents quarantine order has been a resounding success and should be extend four more weeks to ensure complete success. With leadership like that exhibited by Trump, we as a country can pull through this.”

CUT

“Fat ****ing worthless sack of bloat ****...”

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A few months from now.....

President Trump has never looked as good as he did today in his coffin. The man who led this country into millions of uneccessary deaths finally succumbed to the Corona Virus - unfortunately he thought by avoiding Corona beer he would be fine. May he RIP as the country recovers from the worse blight it has ever seen, including WW2.

DD

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spoken like a true Trump Only Fan

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Don't you think that Trump's ego will eventually lead him to fire the man? I certainly do and in no way was my post CHEERING it on. You hear it that way because you're a psycho about interpreting everything as coming from a MAGA type when you read my posts.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the NYT today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Medical Expert Who Corrects Trump Is Now a Target of the Far Right
    Dr. Anthony Fauci, the administration’s most outspoken advocate of emergency virus measures, faces a torrent of false claims that he is mobilizing to undermine the president.

By Davey Alba and Sheera Frenkel

• March 28, 2020
    At a White House briefing on the coronavirus on March 20, President Trump called the State Department the “Deep State Department.” Behind him, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, dropped his head and rubbed his forehead.

Some thought Dr. Fauci was slighting the president, leading to a vitriolic online reaction. On Twitter and Facebook, a post that falsely claimed he was part of a secret cabal who opposed Mr. Trump was soon shared thousands of times, reaching roughly 1.5 million people.

A week later, Dr. Fauci — the administration’s most outspoken advocate of emergency measures to fight the coronavirus outbreak — has become the target of an online conspiracy theory that he is mobilizing to undermine the president.

That fanciful claim has spread across social media, fanned by a right-wing chorus of Mr. Trump’s supporters, even as Dr. Fauci has won a public following for his willingness to contradict the president and correct falsehoods and overly rosy pronouncements about containing the virus.

An analysis by The New York Times found over 70 accounts on Twitter that have promoted the hashtag #FauciFraud, with some tweeting as frequently as 795 times a day. The anti-Fauci sentiment is being reinforced by posts from Tom Fitton, the president of Judicial Watch, a conservative group; Bill Mitchell, host of the far-right online talk show “YourVoice America”; and other outspoken Trump supporters such as Shiva Ayyadurai, who has falsely claimed to be the inventor of email.

Many of the anti-Fauci posts, some of which pointed to a seven-year-old email that Dr. Fauci had sent praising Hillary Clinton when she was secretary of State, have been retweeted thousands of times. On YouTube, conspiracy-theory videos about Dr. Fauci have racked up hundreds of thousands of views in the past week. In private Facebook groups, posts disparaging him have also been shared hundreds of times and liked by thousands of people, according to the Times analysis.

One anti-Fauci tweet on Tuesday said, “Sorry liberals but we don’t trust Dr. Anthony Fauci.”

The torrent of falsehoods aimed at discrediting Dr. Fauci is another example of the hyperpartisan information flow that has driven a wedge into the way Americans think. For the past few years, far-right supporters of President Trump have regularly vilified those whom they see as opposing him. Even so, the campaign against Dr. Fauci stands out because he is one of the world’s leading infectious disease experts and a member of Mr. Trump’s virus task force, and it is unfolding as the government battles a pathogen that is rapidly spreading in the United States.

It is the latest twist in the ebb and flow of right-wing punditry that for weeks echoed Mr. Trump in minimizing the threat posed by the coronavirus and arguably undercut efforts to alert the public of its dangers. When the president took a more assertive posture against the outbreak, conservative outlets shifted, too — but now accuse Democrats and journalists of trying to use the pandemic to damage Mr. Trump politically.

“There seems to be a concerted effort on the part of Trump supporters to spread misinformation about the virus aggressively,” said Carl Bergstrom, a professor of biology at the University of Washington who has studied misinformation.

Adding that Dr. Fauci is bearing the brunt of the attacks, Mr. Bergstrom said: “There is this sense that experts are untrustworthy, and have agendas that aren’t aligned with the people. It’s very concerning because the experts in this are being discounted out of hand.”

The Trump administration has previously shown a distaste for relying on scientific expertise, such as when dealing with climate change. But misinformation campaigns during a pandemic carry a unique danger because they may sow distrust in public health officials when accurate information and advice are crucial, said Whitney Phillips, an assistant professor at Syracuse University who teaches digital ethics.

“What this case will show is that conspiracy theories can kill,” she said.

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases did not respond to a request for comment on the misinformation being directed at Dr. Fauci, who has said he plans to keep working to contain the coronavirus.

“When you’re dealing with the White House, sometimes you have to say things one, two, three, four times, and then it happens,” Dr. Fauci said in an interview with Science magazine this past week. “So, I’m going to keep pushing.”

The online campaign is an abrupt shift for Dr. Fauci, an immunologist who has led the institute since 1984. He has long been seen as credible by a large section of the public and journalists, advising every president since Ronald Reagan and encouraging action against the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s.

In recent weeks, much of the online discussion of Dr. Fauci was benign or positive. Zignal Labs, a media analysis company, studied 1.7 million mentions of Dr. Fauci across the web and TV broadcasts from Feb. 27 to Friday and found that through mid-March, he was mainly praised and his comments were straightforwardly reported. Right-wing figures quoted Dr. Fauci approvingly or lauded him for his comments on shutting down travel to and from China, Zignal Labs said.

In the White House briefings on the coronavirus, he often spoke plainly of the severity of the situation, becoming something of a folk hero to some on the left. Then Dr. Fauci, who had been a steady presence at Mr. Trump’s side during the briefings, did not appear at the one on March 18.

A hashtag asking “Where is Dr. Fauci?” began trending on Twitter. Several Facebook fan groups dedicated to praising his medical record called for his return. The first accounts tweeting #FauciFraud also appeared, though their volume of posts was small, according to the Times analysis.

Two days later, Dr. Fauci put his head in his hand at the White House briefing after Mr. Trump’s remark on the “Deep State Department.” His gesture — some called it a face palm — caught the attention of Mr. Trump’s supporters online, who saw it as an insult to the president.

Anti-Fauci posts spiked, according to Zignal Labs. Much of the increase was prompted by a March 21 article in The American Thinker, a conservative blog, which published the seven-year-old email that Dr. Fauci had written to an aide of Mrs. Clinton.

In the email, Dr. Fauci praised Mrs. Clinton for her stamina during the 2013 Benghazi hearings. The American Thinker falsely claimed that the email was evidence that he was part of a secret group who opposed Mr. Trump.

That same day, Mr. Fitton of Judicial Watch posted a tweet linking to a different blog post that showed Dr. Fauci’s email on Mrs. Clinton. In the tweet, Mr. Fitton included a video of himself crossing his arms and saying, “Isn’t that interesting.” It was retweeted more than 1,500 times.

In an interview, Mr. Fitton said, “Dr. Fauci is doing a great job.” He added that Dr. Fauci “wrote very political statements to Hillary Clinton that were odd for an appointee of his nature to send.”

The conspiracy theory was soon shared thousands of times across Facebook and Twitter. It was also taken up by messaging groups on WhatsApp and Facebook run by QAnon, the anonymous group that claims to be privy to government secrets. On YouTube, far-right personalities began spouting that Dr. Fauci was a fraud.

By Tuesday, the online and television mentions of Dr. Fauci had declined but had become consistently negative, Zignal Labs said.

One anti-Fauci tweet last Sunday read: “Dr. Fauci is in love w/ crooked @HillaryClinton. More reasons not to trust him.”

Facebook said it proactively removed misinformation related to the coronavirus. YouTube said that it did not recommend the conspiracy-theory videos on Dr. Fauci to viewers and that it promotes credible virus information. Twitter said it remained “focused on taking down content that can lead to harm.”

Ms. Phillips, the Syracuse assistant professor, said the campaign was part of a long-term conspiracy theory propagated by Mr. Trump’s followers.

“Fauci has just been particularly prominent,” she said. “But any public health official who gets cast in a conspiratorial narrative is going to be subject to those same kinds of suspicions, the same kinds of doubt.”

That has not stopped Dr. Fauci from appearing on the internet. On Thursday, he joined a 30-minute Instagram Live discussion about the coronavirus hosted by the National Basketball Association star Stephen Curry.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

never Trumper for sure.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprising at all. I think many Trump supporters are clamoring for a dictator and do want to be ruled by Trump - they truly love him. And anyone who contradicts him or criticizes him is part of a deep state conspiracy and their clear enemy.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. B-Bob

I don’t dispute the NYT report but I don’t think it serves us well. It smacks of TMZ style “ohhh are they fighting?!?” but the stakes are way too high to provoke our not very stable marketer in chief.

just leave that alone and praise Fauci. Praise both Fauci and Trump for working together, when they do.

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

God help us...

Dr. Fauci says as many as 200,000 Americans could die from the coronavirus

WASHINGTON (AP) — As the White House looks for ways to restore normalcy in parts of the U.S., the government’s foremost infection disease expert says the country could experience more than 100,000 deaths and millions of infections from the coronavirus pandemic.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, speaking on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday, offered his prognosis as the federal government weighs rolling back guidelines on social distancing in areas that have not been as hard-hit by the outbreak at the conclusion of the nationwide 15-day effort to slow the spread of the virus.

“I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 cases,” he said, correcting himself to say he meant deaths. “We’re going to have millions of cases.” But he added “I don’t want to be held to that” because the pandemic is “such a moving target.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/d...ans-could-die-from-the-coronavirus-2020-03-29

15. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Do you know how bad and dangerous it is. Not only trump and his supports attack the vary institutions of law enforcement and justice now they are going after the people who literally trying to save lives. This is complete bullshit. It is very dangerous by trying to creat distrust in very people who are trying to keep people from dying.

deb4rockets likes this.
  16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

But but the flu kills people too. So does car accidents!

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

We should praise Trump when he does things right. I just praised Trump yesterday for signing the Phase 3 bill quickly. That doesn't mean we should flatter him just because we perceive that is the best route. Trump is the President. It his job to lead and I don't know how may times I can say this but take responsibility. I understand Trump's approval ratings have risen and that is to be expected during a crisis but what happens as this crisis drags on and on. This is the same man who a month ago said this would all magically disappear in April. April is three days from now and there is no end in sight.

I was quoting Lord Varys earlier so I'm going to throw out another GOT quote, "Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it." That is what we need are hard truths. Trump is finding that out painfully having to back track every nearly everyday on what he said the day before. If we don't face those truths with honesty. People are scared and rallying to the flag how long that holds up is yet to be seen and if it does it will not be good. Most people continued to support the Vietnam War even after the Tet Offensive. Remember when people even here were calling those who said that the Invasion of Iraq was a bad idea and that it was going well traitors? How many now think it was a good idea?

I don't like Trump but I don't think he's evil. I believe he honestly wants to solve this crisis and save American lives. Pandering to him and being sycophantic isn't going to do that.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

When this thing really hits stated such as West Virginia, Kentucky, North and South Dakota it's going to be real ugly...

T_Man

19. B-Bob

you quoted my post but we’re replying to another one?

I didn’t say pander to him in my post. I said it was counterproductive to drive a TMZ style wedge between him and one of the only sensible and informed people around him. That’s my point.

Nook likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I was responding to your post as you were saying the stakes were way to high to provoke Trump. To me that is pandering to him. I think it is important to know if there is a strained relation between the President and one of the most important people during this crisis. I think it is important for reporters to ask even unpleasent questions of the President.

That this could drive a TMZ style wedge between him and Dr. Fauci is precisely one of the problems. If Trump doesn't like that Dr. Fauci is contradicting him by using facts and empirical analysis that is what I meant by some men would deny a hard truth rather than face it.