1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hear you.

I'm saying that in jest, as I'm frustrated with both sides of the aisle in Washington. Those people are a joke.

But my point stands that it's too bad that countries have to out themselves and their propaganda first and can't work together as one cohesive world unit to fight this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Just outlines their guidelines. They aren't going after medical facilities unless it's under extreme circumstances.

Detainees with a temperature that reaches 100.4 will receive medical care and possible discharge.

Emphasis on stressing any applications be done through mail or online instead of in person.

Also covers the number of confirmed cases of COVID among detainees and employees in ICE. The numbers are quite low in single digits which I think is probably a lie, although I've no proof.

Any investigative journalists that could see what actual quality of life is like at any of the facilities would probably be eye opening compared to what's documented on their site. Nothing outrageous clicking on the link though. You can optionally fill out a survey on how ICE is doing if you want. I opted not to.

Given that Americans are probably more concerned with their own well being, I doubt it'd change much public opinion one way or the other even if these facilities are in fact cesspools for virus outbreaks that take detainee lives. It'd just be another example in a long line of grievances from this administration's incompetency.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Virus outbreaks are not linear. That's your error here.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Only a handful of days until April when the CV will magically go away. Relax. Trump has got this.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. WNBA

WNBA Member

No. Your knowledge is wrong. It started with Pompeo called it 'Wuhan Virus'. He is your sectary of state. The number one political official (not Trump who is a baby) in the country. He is still calling it this way. Why 'Wuhan virus' when 99.99% of the Wuhan people had nothing to do with it? why not call it "Hankou virus", or "Huanan seafood market virus"? The fat scumbag started a war on Wuhan people who got hit hard.

Everyday I pray the virus can get him, then I can say kudos to 'Wuhan virus'

6. Nook

Nook Member

Very faulty logic.

First, COVID19 is still in its infancy in the USA.

Second this is the beginning of the first wave, there will be a second wave in the fall.

Third, the death rate is as low as it is at this point because of the extreme measures put in place.

You need extreme measures to limit infection because as infection rates rise, so does the need for hospital beds and ventilators. Death rates rise greatly when doctors have to make decisions on who to treat and who to let die. That doesn’t even take into account doctors and nurses being infected. Making the situation worse.

That is what happened in Italy. If you adjust for population, the death toll is Italy is equal to 70,000 dead and that doesn’t include those still treating, a second wave that will come in the fall and other sporadic cases. Plus many people have died and it has been attributed to other causes due to the lack of testing available.

jboslett and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Perhaps this article can shed some light on why the New York postive test percentage is 3 times higher than any other state.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...-new-york-city-hospital-nurse-covid-19-deaths

As of Saturday night in New York City, 672 people are known to have died from COVID-19 since the coronavirus outbreak began, with well over 30,000 known to be infected. Hospitals around the city are stretched to the limit, handling a constant influx of patients while running dangerously low on personal protective equipment like masks and gowns for doctors and nurses.

The nurse described a horrific Catch-22. “If we are covid positive, we are expected to work for as long as we are asymptomatic. However we cannot get tested unless we are symptomatic,” he said. “They don’t want to test us because, at the rates we are exposed, we are likely all sick and we don’t know it.

“We are rationed personal protective equipment to absurdity,” the nurse said. He said they were given “one disposable mask and one disposable gown that we must sign out for, that is expected to be used for five 12-hour shifts before they will be replaced.”

------

This is going to start happening more and more across the country. And soon. I know of people already being rationed one N95 for the indefinite future.

This is why you DO NOT just go to the hospital if you have symptoms. Only go if you absolutely have to. If you show up to this ER without coronavirus, you're leaving with it, because it is all over that PPE.

Click the article, by the way, to see the quoted nurse's harrowing photo of about 20 bodies in the back of a refrigerated truck (in body bags) from deaths from his hospital.

Pasting this here as well. Originally posted in the Hangout, but it deserves to be seen by everybody.

Corrosion, RayRay10, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

What about car accidents

9. Nook

Nook Member

Thanks.

I posted to make it clear that this isn’t some abstract notion that is far away and not personal. It will be for many people.

Second to point out that my cousin likely would not have contracted COVID19 if he and his family practiced and followed the rules on social distancing. He and his family often visited each other’s homes, had family gatherings and had people at there homes. Now he is dead and several others (at a minimum have it).

My friend has no choice, he is a truck driver and is required an essential worker. He attempted social distancing but because he has to travel he is infected as well. He will likely be fine. However he told me that a lot of truckers are sick, but do not have access to testing or have been told by their employers to keep working unless it is hospital bad. The point being he could not exercise the requirements of the CDC and other agencies.... and he is now sick.

People need to quarantine or know they will have a real chance of getting sick.

Roomba, RayRay10, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  10. WNBA

WNBA Member

Will they ever go gun violence?

11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I hope not but if they do. Thought and prayers everyone.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

that was the name until the PRC did international damage control.

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol surely you can’t be serious. The Chinese government acted despicably and shamefully during this by trying to cover it up and suppress the news early on. They are what they are - liars who nobody believes. Don’t confuse this with the Chinese people who I typically like. I travel there 3-4 times per year on business. It’s the government that you simply cannot trust. They lie and suppress news.

jboslett and Andre0087 like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's so horrible. You have my sympathy, which seems like an entirely inadequate offer of condolences.

I'm afraid that the same thing is going to happen to most of us before this is over, assuming it ends. That people we care about are going to get this damn thing. Some will be lucky and have a mild case, some will get terribly sick, but survive, perhaps surviving with long term damage to their health - hopefully not, and some we will lose. We hope to escape it ourselves. We'll see. I've noticed that the word hope is used a lot, certainly by me.

An old friend of my significant other, I've mentioned this somewhere, has caught it. He's a fellow that I know well, a guy in his mid 70's my S.O. worked with for over 20 years. They share a birthday. He got the Coronavirus from his stepdaughter. She's a nurse who, naturally, caught it treating someone who had it. She has a child that our friend and his wife were babysitting, so she came by regularly, and she shouldn't have.

Her mother had breast cancer last year and beat it, but has a compromised immune system. Getting tested is still difficult. We don't know at the moment, but it is very likely that all 4 have it. How that plays out? Like you with your old friend, we'll have to wait and see. I have an old friend myself that I went to grade school with who lives in Lago Vista by the lake with his wife. We've had some "virtual happy hours" together and warn each other to be careful, and we wait. Hoping that none of us get it, as well as our family and friends out of town in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas. That we stay lucky, stay healthy, stay alive.

We are living a bizarre nightmare. Nearly everyday, I watch a part of that nightmare give what he thinks are self-serving "briefings" in one of our rooms with a display on the wall. Cursing the TV can't be healthy, but I often do. My S.O. has stopped watching them, although she sees the ones from New York from time to to time. I have a desire to know what's going on and it's a curse of my own that I've had all my life, one I inherited from my parents. I miss them, but at least they aren't sharing this insanity with us.

Good luck to everyone.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

thanks for sharing that difficult news. I hope it claims no more of your family.

16. WNBA

WNBA Member

Scared Chinese used same virus name calling initially and Wuhan people suffered a lot more than the virus did to them.
    After WHO had the virus officially named, no one, even the ones with some worst agenda, is still calling it "Wuhan virus" except of course Trump and his cult goers. They should go to hell.

17. WNBA

WNBA Member

If you ask ordinary Chinese you meet, 100% of them are proud of their government in the war against the virus because they are checking the same Trump stats I am putting here........

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

sorry, Chinese americans or people living in the PRC? Who are these "ordinary Chinese you meet"?

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

lol

Shrimp vendor at Wuhan market may be coronavirus ‘patient zero’

“A lot fewer people would have died” in the country if the government had acted sooner, Wei told the Journal in February.

Wei may have been “patient zero” at the market, but it’s still unclear if she was the first person to ever contract the novel coronavirus in the country.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/shrimp-vendor-at-wuhan-market-may-be-coronavirus-patient-zero/

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member