1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Our testing is super low. Bottom 4 in the country, which is totally unacceptable as Houston and Dallas are two of the biggest airline hubs in the USA.

Our testing positive rate is about middle of the pack, higher than Washington state.

malakas likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Testing all over the country is unacceptable. We just don't have enough test. However, we are just warmer and less dense than NY and WA, so we are going to get less sick.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Looks like the death toll has reached 2000 people. 1000 since Thursday. That's not a good sign.

No Worries likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This seems like a woeful excuse. Some states have an 8x higher testing rate per capita than Texas, I'm not going to cop out Texas and they "Well testing is bad everywhere"... true that it is bad everywhere, but it's specifically much worse in Texas and our people need to know that.

We should be doing much better than NY. Washington state though, I don't think so, I'm guessing that if we had the same amount of testing done our numbers would be the same if not higher.

Nook likes this.
  5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I heard on the the radio earlier that Italy has stopped treating Covid-19 patients if they are over 60. Is that true? @malakas may have some insight?

If that is true, that's pretty damn morbid but maybe they just can't handle it.

This is just crazy all around.

malakas and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

225 million Americans are now in "lockdown," self-isolation. Is Texas? The state with the second highest population, who's governor did nothing to stop tens of thousands of young Texans and others who came from outside the state from having Spring Break in places like Port Aransas?

No, our governor has done nothing. The mayors of several large cities in our state certainly have, because they didn't wait for our incompetent governor to actually lift a finger. I'm very concerned that we are going to see a big spike in Coronavirus infections. I hope not. If we do, then Abbott will make some sort of announcement, trump will praise him, and Abbott will yet again join trump's incompetence during this crisis, acting after the ship has sailed.

Nook, CCity Zero, Kim and 3 others like this.
  7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

To reiterate this point my cardiologist friend was tested on the 20th and still does not have his results back.

Nook, CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Are you trying to suggest Texas has it as bad as NY? Not likely. The death count is probably much closer to accurate. Texas hasn't seen the deaths, yet.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wouldn't standing in line or going to a clinic if you had a cough and fever (and you are scared you have wuhan virus that will progress) be the worst thing to do?

Strictly speaking, we should all be isolating anyways. If you have get it, you will spread to family before you get symptoms. If you get it, no need for doctor unless trouble breathing. So what will a test help with at this point that it has been out for months?
    I get the criticism for the USA not having tests 2 months ago when they could contact trace, but I think this thing was going to get out in the wild no matter what.

Nook, CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yup, gotta treat yourself as presumptive positive. Testing performed early would have been helpful. If you get tested and you’re negative you may get it later. Just isolate

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How did you get that from my post?

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

@malakas @LosPollosHermanos @RocketManJosh

texts from the american cardiologist just now... smh..

They are trying everything including azithro, remdesizir chloroquine, vit C infusions, zinc infusions, HIV drugs
    Total **** show, young people still dying in our hospital
    They are not coming off vents as expected, not optimistic about our mortality numbers in coming weeks
    Hopefully I’m wrong of course [​IMG]

Starting pooled plasma next weeks or so
    We have enough recovered patients now to do this

I’m a bit befuddled. We lost a 50ish fitness trainer yesterday. He had no Med history. Got a 40ish normal guy on vent prone, not looking good
    A few oldies got better [​IMG]
    It’s just different

Well I wipe down stuff, hit the showers (guest shower) and wash clothes separately
    There is discussion about putting us in hotels, not sure that’s practical or helpful

There a theory it’s like dengue fever, which hits people with previous flavo virus exposure higher due to immune memory
    Maybe previous corona infections makes immune system overreact

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thought you were refering to NY and Washington. Even if only talking Washington, they have 1/5 population and 6 times the number of deaths.

I expect number of tested positive in Texas is not close to accurate, but Texas is probably still waiting for brunt of this disease (or at least feel it as there is lag iwth this type of thing).

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Dude needs to be careful about patient information. I agree, people they’re trying everything but my suspicion is that a lot of the treatments will be ineffective when put through proper trials. People on vents are not coming off fersure, they desat rapidly. They go into what’s called acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Your immmune goes haywire, fluids leaking all over capillaries and it’s just downhill from There. That’s what the specific vent setting is for, but it’s not enough imo

#4715 LosPollosHermanos, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Nook, heypartner and malakas like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't even know which specific hospital he's at, so based on that the patient confidentiality should be okay i'm guessing?

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

So technically you shouldn’t have any identifiers (age is one) , just looking out for your buddy.

CCity Zero, malakas and pippendagimp like this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's pretty silly we're still oblivious as to what temperature kills this virus.

Seems finding out would be easy. A lab could take the virus and heat it up. How difficult is that?

Heat also seems the easiest way for hospitals sanitize its PPE. It doesn't take supplies of limited products (Lysol, rubbing achohol, etc), just heat.

Get some heaters and make a room hot as a sauna.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A doctor in my area posted the following on Facebook :

Update from the front lines:

10 positive Covid-19 out of 75 patients that we’ve tested in the past 4 days.
    That’s in our neighborhood family practice. Not an ER, not a hospital.

That’s 13.3% of our tested patients.
    5 were hospitalized.
    That means 1/2 of our positive Covid-19 patients were very sick. But we only test high risk and sick people.

It takes 6 hours, with 1 physician and 2 MAs to test 20 people. Along with 100 gloves (we double-glove), 3 disposable gowns, caps, and 6 masks (you have to take it off to get a drink). And 9 pages of paperwork for each test.

We don’t get paid anything for the test itself. We get paid for an office visit, about $80. The same we’d get paid to see you for a cold. Except we wouldn’t die if we caught your cold.

A week ago when we started testing, I thought we’d find one positive.
    After all, the health department reported only 7 confirmed tests in our city of 180,000. But there’s lots more.
    Family doctors know things before the health department.

I felt the need to tell you this stuff.
    There so much I don’t know so I feel compelled to tell you the little bit that I do. And I talk more when I’m scared.

Nook, Deckard, robbie380 and 8 others like this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Seems like the info he posted is pretty innocuous. Much appreciated, although very bleak, though.

CCity Zero and malakas like this.