1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately there isn't much your country or mine can do about it right now. This is an international crisis and because countries failed to act early and in a coordinate fashion we largely have to deal with it in our own countries. The US is a smaller example of this where each of the states are dealing with this with little coordination or national direction.

That doesn't mean the problem goes away. Even if the disease is contained in the US doesn't mean it won't be running roughshod over the island of Hispanola and likely to reinfect the the US and other countries. It's probably worse for Greece. With Turkey next door, along with former Soviet Republics like Moldova in the neighborhood who might not have the resources to deal with it.

daywalker02, Mazulis and malakas like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

The report also found that though the majority of those who have died from coronavirus across the UK were over 70, nine of the 79 who died in intensive care were aged between 16 and 49, as were 28 of the 86 who survived.

The audit suggested that men are at much higher risk from the virus – seven in ten of all ICU patients were male, while 30% of men in critical care were under 60, compared to just 15% of women. Excess weight also appears to be a significant risk factor; over 70% of patients were overweight, obese or clinically obese on the body mass index scale.

Right . The West is fcked with all the fat people.

Houstunna and Mazulis like this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

5. malakas

malakas Member

Moldova isnt near lol.
    As long as you keep your borders as secure as possible and are in lockdown for 3 months it is actually....more efficient... if your neighbour is ran over.
    Because by the time you will reopen them most of them will be immune and no threat to your immune virgin population anymore.
    And by the time the borders are reopened you can test every arrival with the antibody tests.

Mazulis likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

The cost of the antigen 10 min test kits has already been reduced almost by half yo 65 dollars.

A team in the UK has invented some kind of test that doesnt need special equipment and will cost only 7 dollars. Though it is almost certain it will not have good sensitivity.

The antibody test is estimated to be very cheap too.

No Worries, CCity Zero and Mazulis like this.
  7. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

He means Macedonia .

8. malakas

malakas Member

Thats a province of Greece.
    You mean North Macedonia aka FYROM.

All the Balkans and most eastern europe, have closed down in fear 2 weeks ago and some with actual strict martial laws.

Turkey was the only one who didnt pay attention because Erdogan doesnt care. :(

Mazulis likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's true. Perhaps someone has already posted this, but if not, here you go. It's why they are working on, or hopefully have finished working on, a test that can detect antibodies of the Coronavirus. This is very important, because it would show those who had it and then had the infection was "resolved," in other words, they no longer have the virus. They test negative. Many have likely had very mild symptoms and didn't know they were infected. Perhaps they thought it was a mild case of the flu. Sadly, while they did have it, they likely infected others, unless they were practicing self-isolation for a period covering the entire time they were infectious.

As Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York has said several times during his briefings, those who carry the antibodies of the virus are no longer contagious, are essentially immune to getting it again, at least this year, and could safely return to work. An extremely important thing to know. Vital, if we are going to get the economy working again.

I've seen several of his briefings, and I highly recommend that people watch them. CNN carries them and they are usually in the morning. Put aside political considerations when doing so. Governor Cuomo does. He has briefings pretty much everyday, they are highly informative and give a picture of what the rest of the country is going to go through. Count on more "New York's" across the country. It's a frightening thought, but we are seeing that begin in New Orleans and the surrounding area (Mardi Gras went on which the local and state governments now say was a huge mistake), the Chicago area, Detroit, and other locations.

Staying on the subject of antibodies, research has show that at least this strain of the virus, literally sweeping the world, isn't prone to mutation. That's huge. Sure, that may change in the future, but perhaps not until the next "cycle," when hopefully we'll have both a vaccine and/or effective meds to treat those who get it.

Nook, daywalker02, CCity Zero and 4 others like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's funny... I guess... someone at work was rambling on about how this "flu" only affects the old, obese, smokers or the sick. My response was -- does that MATTER? Lulz. Followed by -- you just described EVERYONE in the office with the exception of MYSELF.

Fknlulz. Idiots.

Nook, CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is too much to ask. Political leaders should not be in charge of this kind of thing period in my opinion. Nobody is qualified to handle the economy, defense, education, health, etc... Trump (or ANY president EVER) should not be the go-to in this situation.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I know someone who almost certainly has it but could not for the longest time (until Friday) get the test, despite her doctor clearing her for a test 10 days prior. I imagine it's getting easier every day but it's been an absolute cluster. Maybe it's easier for the elderly...

CCity Zero and Two Sandwiches like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Social distancing and stay-at-home orders are crushing the flu.

Nook, No Worries and CCity Zero like this.
  15. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Let’s get through April and that light will be ever brighter...

16. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Most healthcare employees have it at thins point and aren’t tested for a reason. I won’t say too much and will leave it at that. Especially big hospitals with 50+ people on vents...

Nook, CCity Zero and Kim like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I said in the neighborhood but with Romania and Bulgaria in the way they might be a buffer. There is Albania next door which is pretty poor too.

malakas likes this.
  19. astros123

astros123 Member

The cost of the antibody test is only 25 bucks wholesale. I'm not sure what the retail cost is going to be but its a very affordable test to produce. I know the original owner really well and he's signed a contract with LAPD.

Actually a lot of doctors are scared to order the test because if a patient tests positive the FDA is now mandating that the clinic that the patient got tested out be closed for 14 days. This happened to a friends very large practice in west texas. A patient whom he tested for came back positive and the fda was in his clinic the next day closing it down. The government is making it extremely hard on healthcare providers.

Also we were in the process of doing mail in kits this week with a telemedicine visit with a MD but we got a cease and desist letter two days before we were supposed to go live.

CCity Zero, malakas, Mazulis and 2 others like this.
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think we can surmise that early testing in Washington state helped them out quite a bit. It is also showing that New York has probably been a hot bed of cases for a month or more. The fact that they are testing SO MANY and they have such a super high positive rate is amazing. We aren't testing nearly as many in Texas, but the positive rate is WAY lower.