1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is unintentionally misleading, just a bit. These are the countries that: (1) have resources to do at least some testing, and (2) were caught a little by surprise by their outbreaks in each case.

2. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Some people go to the hospital, get tested, test positive, get sick, then recover.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We didn't have reliable test until about 2 weeks ago, and the virus last about 2 weeks. Most people who "recover" don't get tested again. They essentially just get aged out since they don't want to waste the short supply of test for people on the mend. Like I said previously, the only numbers that matter at the moment is deaths and serious illness. Until we there is wide availability of test, that is the only number you should pay attention to.

Nook and malakas like this.
  5. rockbox

True, but if you look at the death numbers, even a larger percentage belong to these countries.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. B-Bob

But do you trust death numbers in less developed countries? I don't. I don't even trust the death #s that much in the US. Even in Germany, they are not testing all dead bodies for COVID, which is one reason their death rate may look like it's so much lower than Italy's.

It's not really worth arguing about, but there are tons of people expiring from pneumonia right now on Earth who are possibly actually COVID victims. I think we can all acknowledge that. They'll never be in the ledger until a rich statistical analysis of anomalous pneumonia deaths of 2020 can be catalogued in the future.

Cheers.

Deckard, Nook, Hakeemtheking and 3 others like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Though if he could also leave a web cam there too, I'd be much appreciative...

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there are dozens of russian sources coming up if you search Мефлохин коронавирус in google

malakas and Mazulis like this.
  9. rockbox

Pretty much all COVID deaths look the same. Respiratory problems/pneumonia. It's pretty easy to spot, so I trust them more than "confirmed cases"

AroundTheWorld and malakas like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was listening to an NPR story the other day that was saying that the death numbers might also be very underreported as people dying of respiratory failure without being attributed to CoViD 19. Considering there are many other causes of respiratory failure those might be masking COVID numbers.

Nook and malakas like this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

arkoe, Hakeemtheking, malakas and 2 others like this.
  12. B-Bob

this is what I’m trying to say. Thank you.
    Particularly true in countries where they are barely measuring for COVID at all.

Nook, malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Minnesota just started its shelter in place last night but I went out to brave the grocery stores for myself and a shut in relative. Wasn’t as crowded as expected although there were shortages. There was a lot of bread even though last week there was a shortage but no eggs, not a lot of condiments, running short on tea and cat food.

malakas likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

All the numbers matter. If you only look at deaths and serious illness but not recoveries, you'd have no basis for survival chances. You can survive without being retested. You're talking about someone no longer testing positive after previously testing positive. Some people have done that too.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Masks are obviously helpful but in the US we still have a big need among healthcare professionals and first responders. I fear a CDC recommendation will jus lead to more hoarding by individuals

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Masks can be reused. I sent that study with the saline solution for masks to my cardiologist friend and he forwarded it to other doctors he knows. He said he would be trying it.

19. rockbox

How do you increase healthcare professionals and first responders in the short term? I can just make more nurses and doctors.

arkoe and rocketsjudoka like this.
  20. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Houstunna and malakas like this.