1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

our medical physics department experiment with 3D Bolus had been a success, not sure many places implement that ,but it's great time/cost savings and business opportunity

Using one ventilator for multi-pateints with no oxygenation/induced lung injuries data evaluation is on bar with CT lung image serviced on internet with no baselines or markers, interesting but that's it

Covid-19 situation to me comes in 3D aspects:

Fiction: random drugs experiment, people's believe in it's theorpuatic properties ,hyped internet/media answers, misleading but necessary to give hope

Science: insert [Mrs B-Bob] insights

Evidence based medicine: for about 2-7% of population, ventilation is sufficient enough

for 1-2% with severe acute pneumonia and chronic diseases: extracorporeal support is what needed "ECMO"

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You should tell your boy Trump to go spread his guidelines and rules to the rest of the world then. The world needs his knowledge in the worst way.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Eh, not to be this annoying guy, but eh, try to persuade whomever you're jawing with to take it to D&D. :)

RayRay10 and donkeypunch like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good advice from both you and malakas. We’re in the “high risk” group. Maybe I should look for an “oximeter.” My significant other has asthma, although she hasn’t had a problem with it for years. She’s quite a bit younger than I am, but no longer “young,” either. They are probably as difficult to get as N95 masks, in other words, impossible due to the shortage those in healthcare are experiencing. That and the general public buying them up, so getting an oxymeter is unlikely, although it looks like @Haymitch has had some luck.

We’re getting groceries and the like delivered, and while usually the delivery people know how to do it to keep either one of us from getting infected, that’s not always the case. I have plenty of surgical gloves that I use to handle packages, grocery bags, and other items until we can get them disinfected, but it would be nice to have an N95 mask for those rare instances when the person making the delivery is either brain dead, or simply doesn’t understand English. That happened yesterday, in fact.

Good to see you around, Mango!

Mazulis, Richie_Rich, Yung-T and 4 others like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Want to say I've come around on chloroquine to being more open minded. Not because of the dude in France (who I threw shade at recently in this thread I think), but more b/c of the research stuff I posted yesterday. Mrs. B-Bob pointed out that the science shows chloroquine (completely separate from any direct medical studies or clinical observations) should be a drug, just based on the biochemistry of how the virus operates within our bodies, that we should be giving serious consideration.

When some clinical trials and the fundamental biochemistry both point in the same direction, it's really really worth a look, I think.

Houstunna, Mazulis, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  7. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]

8. malakas

malakas Member

Could you ask Ms B-Bob if one of the substances is colchicine?

A lot of publicity today in this country about colchicine. Along with Yale, and canadian scientists we will be starting a huge clinical trial with colchicine and not only for critical patients but any hospitalisations for prophylactic reasons.

Apparently they believe it has a few antiviral properties but most importantly it protects from the sneaky and fatal attacks the virus does to the heart. They have observed many pericarditis patients.

9. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Slovakia did lockdown fast when they found out about their first patient but looks like it was to late as today was their biggest daily increase in new cases.
    I had enough with the Belgian graph or the Dutch one.
    No idea what Sweden is doing and i only hope that it won't end as bad as it might look like.
    No idea what it is or if it supose to work good but i heard that they are going to start testing a drug called Leukine in Ghent.

Deckard, Yung-T and malakas like this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If that guy has the itis, all those recently unemployed people just got the virus and their families.

It seems like wealthy, highly mobile people are the first to get and the mostly likely to spread.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

"(subacute) hemodynamically stable constrictive pericarditis may respond to a trial of antiinflammatory therapy (a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agent plus colchicine), but refractory patients and those with late-stage constrictive pericarditis should be referred for surgical pericardiectomy"

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

FYI that scientist there said about Belgium that the previous days' observed rise in cases was because of skiers from the Alps but now it seems to be again normalised.

Leukine :Sargramostim is primarily used for myeloid reconstitution after autologous or allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. It is also used to treat neutropenia induced by chemotherapy during the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia. It also used as a medical countermeasure for treating people who have been exposed to sufficient radiation to suppress bone marrow myelogenesis

Interesting..but will it not be even more dangerous for the observed cytokine storms?

13. malakas

malakas Member

yeah..that's likely the reason they will start administering it in all hospitalisations from tomorrow.
    I also read in social media ( very good source I know) that many US hospitals have started seeing covid19 patients with pericarditis.

Like other viruses this one too strikes the heart.

Exiled likes this.
  14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

The mood here has changed over the past several months from casual/whatever to...

...serious which I enjoy much much more.

Those that enjoyed posting the casual/whatever stuff have either changed with the times or have gone on sabbaticals.

Yung-T, Nook and Deckard like this.
  15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I did it 3 times today for people at work. All before 9am though had no issues. Now I tried again, and yeah they out. Just keep hitting refresh. They restock like every 5-10 minutes.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Deckard, ElPigto and malakas like this.
  17. LonghornFan

Do you need an N95 mask? I have a couple left after doing sheetrock work while remodeling i won't be using. Let me know bud.

Mazulis, Richie_Rich, Nook and 3 others like this.
  18. LonghornFan

No burritos to make. Gotta do something for the good of the people.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Turns out Rammstein dude doesn't have Corona, just a regular lung infection.

Mazulis, Deckard, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew