1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gig workers, unemployment insurance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Mar 25, 2020.

1. what

what Member

So according to some articles gig workers and people who are self-employed are getting emergency unemployment as a part of the stimulus package.
    I don't know how you apply for that but I just went ahead and applied today for regular unemployment insurance and hoping they'll just figure it out.
    If anybody has any more information than that let us know this is the thread.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure about the process, but this is what is apparently in the bill:

How about gig workers?
    A new program would provide unprecedented jobless benefits to self-employed workers and contractors, who typically aren’t eligible. The gig workers would also be eligible for the $600 federal supplement.

Independent contractors, gig workers, temporary and part-time workers number 57 million in the U.S., representing more than a third of the working population and driving $1 trillion in income. They were frustrated that the initial coronavirus relief measures didn’t include them.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And this is the whole problem with the new Trump/Gig economy. Do they even pay into UE insurance?

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Your employer does, so no they don't. This is coming out of the billions set aside from the stimulus.

They haven't said how they'll administer yet. Usually its a calculation based on your salary. You may have to show tax returns or it may be just a flat amount.

The interesting thing: a ton of "gig" workers are super busy delivering food, etc. There would be nothing stopping you from also claiming this. At this point, nobody really cares though.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

Just out of curiosity, can the UI system handle this much cash flow? Has it been saving up, or is it designed to deal with an emergency as it unfolds?

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is why i dont like the plan of trying to provide support through unemployment insurance .... just cut checks !!

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you got money via 1099 Misc Income, does that make you a gig worker? I've lost almost 1K (so far) in gig money since all this madness started.

8. what

what Member

If it is a side job, probably no. If you have a job you are currently employed at and working, I don't think you are eligible.
    If it is your main income, your business, then yes. I'm not sure how they look at side businesses, at this point.

9. what

what Member

10. what

what Member

The key points I got from this question and answer facebook live: first, TWC has waived the requirement for an individual to meet the looking for a job requirement. This is important in the sense that if you are a gig worker that you aren't technically looking to find a job.
    Secondly, having to wait a week before applying has been waived
    There was also a question about whether or not gig workers are covered for benefits: which he said not at this time, but that there is legislation in congress, blah blah blah.
    In my view, since there are so many cases at this point, I would apply for unemployment now since by the time they get to you the bill will likely have been passed.
    There was nothing about different procedures at this point, so I would say use the current application system, which does have covid-19 as an option.