1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stimulus Debate in the time of Corona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Senator

Senator Member

If democrats were true liberals...democrats...voice of the people

Paul Pelosi Jr wouldn't get the positions he did
    Joe Bidens son wouldn't get the positions he did
    The Clinton Charities would be seen as a money laundering front
    Nepotism and rampant corruption would be a thing of the past and unicorns would fill the streets instead of cars!

What a pointless argument. Politics is dirty and for greaseballs, but Pelosi had no shot and just stalled with the mobilizing of funds and equipment that will save lives and keep people indoors.

dachuda86 likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

In any normal situation , I'd agree with that .... I'm an economic conservative (but socially liberal / moderate)

But the bottom line is that we aren't able to "fend for ourselves" , when 80% of the population lives in metropolitan area's on a quarter acre or less and most of those are mortgaged to the hilt - area's we're totally reliant upon this vast , great economic machine that's ground to a halt.

Millions of jobs are shut down. People will be facing foreclosure on an incredible scale without government intervention. You think the 07 housing crisis was bad ? This one will make that one pale by comparison.

What the hell do you do ? Tell 80% of the population I'm sorry but you are screwed thru no fault of your own ? Or sorry you have no money to feed your kids and no money to pay the rent , nothing we can do !

I can't see that as an option. We have to limit the economic and social damage along with limiting the loss of life.

Pelosi was the loser here because the House was out of session & the Senate was "at work". She couldn't just let them take credit for that bills passing. Not a chance she lets Trump & the GOP appear to handle this crisis with any degree of competence , and damn sure not without her imprint because the House was out of session - where she can't claim any credit.

#162 Corrosion, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    RayRay10 and Astrodome like this.
  3. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You do know small business make the backbone of the economy not huge corporations.

4. cml750

cml750 Member

5. cml750

cml750 Member

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

They need more oversight on that 500 billion to the corporations. After that pass the ****ing bill with no bullshit attachments.

jcf and RayRay10 like this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Member

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It is time for the repugnants to concede.

Never allow a crisis to go to waste,” Emanuel said Sunday.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

Anyone comparing this to previous bailouts should be ashamed of themselves. This crisis has absolutely nothing to do with any bad decisions from big and/or small businesses. This is all on the government for basically shutting down the economy due to the pandemic. A bailout is justified in a case like this. I did not agree with previous bailouts for businesses. Let them prosper or fail due to the good/bad decisions they make but when the government shuts down the economy then the government should be responsible for bailing them out. Shame on the democrats for trying to push garbage agenda items into this.

jcf likes this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Two weeks ago it was the Chinese Democrat Hoax, boy do things change quick.

11. biina

biina Member

Futures are up cos the market smells free money in the air

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was getting irate at Senate Democrats over this but after hearing Trump saying "he'll be the oversight" when asked a question about who will provide the oversight I'm for the Democrats getting more protections in this bill.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't mind protections but what I mind is trying to politik other crap into it that is a waste of time. IMO both parties are NOT getting this done and they are to blame however from an optics standpoint the Dems are holding things up. If they didn't try to push other crap then I would understand but they are just as bad as republicans when it comes to taking advantage of this situation.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Two Sides and they both are playing games

Rocket River

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea. . . .that is a nonstarter for me on anything

Rocket River

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those y'all saying Pelosi is responsible. She is the Speaker of the House. She has no say in what happens in the Senate.

Deckard, joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Really good points. I would ask Mr. Cruz what does abstinence funding included in the bill have to do with thousands of people dying from COVID? What does protecting the identity of the corporations that receive the funding for 3 months have to do with dying? What does having the President over seeing who gets the funding have to do with people dying?

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Well....officially she doesn't, but she and Schumer work closely together.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Not for some of us. Under Pelosi's plan, couples making more than $150k may have to pay back all or a portion of their stimulus check. GotDamn latte-drinking San Francisco liberals. Lol

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

As a whole, small businesses are extremely important to the economy no doubt, but no single small business carries the weight of a single large corporation. If my business disappears in this situation the number of people who will notice is relatively tiny to the number of people who will notice Boeing going away.

Nook likes this.