1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. omgTHEpotential

Man, that seems really bad. I hope this gets disproven.

Houstunna and Yung-T like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

safe to say, if i survive this, I'm never getting on a cruise ever again. probably one of the dirtiest places, like airplanes and public busses. though for the latter 2, i just have to sit in one for a few hours at most, while you live in cruise ships for at least 4 days.

Hakeemtheking, Ziggy, malakas and 2 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You and probably like me could go down fapping on a cruiser when we are in our 80s......

Jontro likes this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

If the government has to, it can protect us on food, shelter, and water. It will all be free if necessary. Those are the basics. Money is virtual. It's not real. So the idea of an economic crisis is not real when it comes right down to the boiling point. Survival is. That will always be the first priority. However, people don't work like that. They will give up in 6 months and want normalcy at increased risk. That will happen. People will start to crawl out and feel secure even if they are not. We all do live with a certain amount of inherent risk each day anyway, we know it, and it's fair I think, to determine what it socially acceptable. 2% is too high for the general public. And 1 % is already acceptable. We have a narrow bandwidth, but that line may need to shift in 6 months or if this virus sticks around in winters future. Winter is coming. I think the public will end up accepting 2% not because of an imploding economy, but simply because humanity cannot restrain itself. At 20% governments will have to remove the economy from the equation. Which as I said, they can essentially do, and it's why they are there even if they have long since forgotten their primary purpose.

#4064 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Yung-T likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

It is funny that Gamestop refused to close it's doors on account that is essential, making computer equipment. Lol. But I AGREE, the gaming industry is essential. The police did force them to shut down though.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. BenjaminChen

BenjaminChen Member

The Chinese government announced that they will relive the city of Wuhan from quarantine in April 8th.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good news that the PRC is lifting restrictions. Bad news is that the UK is putting out a shelter in place now. They hadn't closed pubs and restaurants even as Ireland had 10 days ago.

malakas likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Money is a social construct but that doesn't mean it's not real. We have recessions and depressions that have very real consequences. What it sounds like you're saying is that we should nationalize things to feed and shelter people during the crisis. It could come to that if things get really severe but that has some real consequences and some very dire.

A large national economy is like the weather. It is very complicated and chaotic. It is possible to spot trends but almost impossible to exercise a lot of control over it and in most cases attempting to exercise heavy handed control doesn't end up well. This was the failure of centrally planned economies like the Soviet Union and the Great Leap forward under Mao. In those cases the same argument was made that money isn't really real and the state can determine how best to distribute resources and manage production. The result was mass starvation.

Hakeemtheking, Richie_Rich and Yung-T like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2 months make a big difference. One continent is getting back on its feet, the other ones are getting worse.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Don’t believe it. 99.1% of immune systems are vulnerable to this virus. China isn’t safe, they just decided to say **** it and accept the losses. They’re the most populous country in the world and I guarantee that factored into their decision.

Nook, mikol13, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  11. likestohypeguy

Hidalgo's announcing something right, what time is the press conference this morning?

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure how this will play out. There are still some reports of asymptomatic spread in Wuhan that China does not consider a positive case.

malakas and Yung-T like this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Think it hard for China to be lying about the numbers at this point. I trust their data. Skeptical at first. But I think I trust it because there is just too much out there right now for them to get away with lying. However, they might be lying to themselves if they think this is over. They will feel safe. And they will begin to interact. If the rest of the world still has it, which they do, China didn't just gain immunity. Good chance it circles around.

#4073 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    BenjaminChen likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

China is notorious for fudging all sorts of data, especially when it comes to research..let alone something the ccp is in charge of

Nook and mikol13 like this.
  15. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

8:15am this morning

likestohypeguy likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://noplacelikeanywhere.com/202...v0DmZ8B22o1i1C9gySJBSn1gl-QQdmqwtziPJ0ezdV_-w

Covid-19 Silver Linings: Finding some positive amidst all of the negative

[​IMG] Ashley March 20, 2020 0 Comments

The global impact of the Covid-19 is surreal and unprecedented. The news is incessant, and I find myself constantly scrolling, waiting for an update, waiting to find out the next terrible thing that’s happened. I’m not sleeping well, am incredibly distracted, and lack any motivation to do much of anything. Every business closure and infection announcement feels weighty. Every lockdown decision feels monumental. Every photo of tourists ignoring social distancing recommendations adds to the ever present hum of worry and fear that’s building. Many of us are starting to buckle under the overwhelming anxiety of it all. It’s A LOT. And it’s got to get worse before it gets any better.

So we have to start looking at the positives.

I don’t want to minimize the severity of the situation, ignore the disastrous economics implications, or trivialize the many deaths that have happened and that are yet to come. But I think it’s important to reframe a big negative like this into something less devastating, if only to give our minds (and hearts) a break, a moment to breathe. This is a marathon, and if we’re going to get through it with our mental health intact, we can’t only focus on the negative.

I’m choosing to think about the positives as often as I can in order to avoid losing my mind during these strange, scary times. So here are a few silver linings that I’ve thought of to make this situation more bearable.

What would you add to the list???
    1. Businesses will see large scale remote work in action. A real opportunity for employees to showcase just how productive they can be from home so that, maybe, when this is all over, more companies will be willing to expand WFH programs and support remote workers.

2. So much knowledge is being freely shared! The internet is living up to its full potential, and we’re seeing the original intent of the World Wide Web blossom. Tour over 2500 museums! Get cooking classes from world-class chefs! Visit zoos and aquariums! So many free educational resources for kids!

3. Proving that the internet can be a place of community and engagement. In the last week, I’ve already participated in a few stimulating, fun debates; caught up with my best friends; and played some games— all online. I’ve always hated the assumption that we can’t be social online or that online life is somehow not part of our real life. (A fascinating topic explored in Because Internet! Highly recommend!) Now, there is no distinction between the two. Whether it’s Grandma learning how to FaceTime, a team learning to work together apart, an elementary classroom gathering for storytime, or friends partaking in virtual happy hours, we’re taking full advantage of the technology at hand, learning what it’s truly capable of.

4. A surge in creative problem solving from businesses, content providers, and entrepreneurs. Yoga classes, discussion groups, church services, late night talk shows, therapy sessions, restaurants turn into ‘corner stores‘ — they’re all happening online, from home, or in a new form. I think as the situation worsens, we’ll see even more creative fire fighting. Necessity breeds invention, after all.

5. We’re all being given a chance to slow down, forced to take a break, regaining some of that free time none of us seem to have anymore. Time to spend together as a family, to read that book, to write that book, to learn a new skill, to sleep in, to clean out that closet… We now have some extra time to do whatever it is that always ends up at the bottom of our To Do list. (Unless you have kids, in which case, your free time just disappeared because you are now also their teacher. #teachersneedraises)

6. Reconnect with nature. For those of us allergic to being outside, this is a good opportunity to discover the outdoors. I’ve made a Google Map of all of the waterfalls within an hour’s drive of Nashville — not something I would usually do! But we have to get out of the house and all of our usual fun activities either aren’t or won’t be options. I’m seeing an uptick in posts from people enjoying their pools, neighborhood walking trails, a local park, etc. We could all stand to spend more time with Mother Nature, and now’s the perfect chance.

7. We’re temporarily giving Mother Nature a break from humanity’s destructive practices, and giving us all an opportunity to lower our carbon footprint. Pollution is down, thanks to everyone staying home. Fewer cars are on the road. Fewer planes are in the air. China’s emissions have been cut about 25%.

Rocket River
    I guess we have to keep out heads up

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

8. This could be an end to America’s addiction to toilet paper. Many folks are turning to the superior hygienic experience of bidets. (Which is also better for the environment! Win-win!)

9. So many beautiful examples of global kindnesses such as when a Chinese company donated masks to Italy; Italian neighbors singing with one another from their balconies; American neighbors on Next Door offering to run errands for the elderly or entertain one another from a safe distance; athletes paying salaries of stadium staff. It’s refreshing to see so much compassion circulating when it feels as if the last few years have been a dumpster fire of hate. In case you’ve forgotten just how awesome humans can be, this crisis is shining a light on our innate kindness. We *are* capable of being this loving; perhaps we should challenge ourselves to keep it going even when this crisis is over.

10. Businesses exhibiting financial kindnesses, such as the Delta CEO forgoing his own salary in order to keep his staff employed; theme parks donating excess food; utility companies and banks waiving late fees and payments; governments putting economic packages in place to help the financially vulnerable. Too often, we just see the greedy side of corporations, but this corona virus has revealed the heart beating within many.

11. Attention is being drawn to our insufficient health care system, to why paid sick leave is so important, and to ways that we can and should better care for one another. Compassion, kindness, and love will allow us to prevail, but it’s going to be a challenge with our medical force working past exhaustion and with so many companies refusing to provide adequate time off to their staff. They may well be forced to now.

12. A chance for all of us to save some money. If you’re anything like us, you spend way too much going out (but we love supporting local businesses!) and we’ve been saying for *months*, especially once I quit my job, that we needed to get better at eating at home. Well. No day like the present.

13. A chance for some of us to cut back on our bad snacking or drinking habits. (If you didn’t stock up enough, that is, haha.) I realize this one is overly optimistic and will most definitely not occur in our household, which is why I said “some of us.”

This list doesn’t begin to touch the list of negative impacts that this virus is having on the world but hopefully it can help reframe the situation for you for a moment.

During these trying weeks, let’s cut each other a lot of slack. Extend as much grace to the people you are cooped up with as you can, and keep sharing cute photos of your pets and kids. It’s gonna take a helluva lot of cat videos to get through this crisis. But we can get through it together!

How are you coping with this crisis? What silver linings have YOU found? Share them so others may also be inspired!

Rocket River
    I guess we have to keep out heads up

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Stay at Home Order just issued for all of Harris County. Effective at Midnight tonight.

malakas likes this.
  20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Aye. I was right.
    Someone put me on list of credible sources :cool:

Nook, mikol13, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.