1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Senator

Senator Member

Forget about all this - the thing to remember is masks are not the most important method of prevention for average citizens. Isolation and staying at home is for the next 3 weeks. No amount of masks and gloves, even if everybody wears them, would be enough to stop the virus if everybody is interacting as usual. When you leave the house, be careful what you touch and avoid touching anything that you didn't leave house with. Breathe normally!

There are enough doctors in Europe who have died despite always wearing them while interacting with patients. They are busy but meticulous with gear, often going 12 hrs with only sips of water and 1 bathroom break.

This is a highly, highly contagious and resilient disease the human system is encountering for the first time

2. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Heard one of the quarantined Houston Firefighters was just rushed to the hospital and they're not looking good.

3. likestohypeguy

What about when you do leave the house, mask is still better than no mask right? Ofc leave the house as little as possible, don't touch, wash hands etc. but all that being equal, why "forget about all of this" when it comes to masks?

#3983 likestohypeguy, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Houstunna, CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I think so, some think otherwise. The most important thing to me that seems to get overlooked, is if more people wear masks, it becomes more of the social norm and you get those insecure people worried about how they look in public actually putting masks on themselves.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Houstunna likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

It becomes the social norm in a matter of days after the idiots realise what is going on.

How and when can the idiots realise what is going on?

Here :
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/23/europe/coronavirus-lockdown-flouted-italy-uk-intl-gbr/index.html

Boris Johnson just "advised" the Brits to wash their hands. The result is that noone took it seriously until today, and they filled the pubs and bars.

Here our prime minister basically said : Stay inside or you will kill your mothers. If you go to your country house you will return in a coffin.

Even the most stupid person can understand this message.

7. Senator

Senator Member

I mean, where do you live? Are you walking about suburban roads with no one near? Do you have the sniffles , a cough, or something which you should be staying indoors for? Are you in a densely populated apartment complex (if so, then yes, wear mask).

For 95% of Americans, what they touch and the food they bring into home is a far more important factor for contagious health than wearing a mask when they are healthy and no one around them is sneezing. It doesn't hurt, but it can lull you into a false sense of security going into situations you don't need to be in. If you go to the grocery store wearing a mask and gloves, touch bananas that have covid, then touch oranges, put those oranges back, and continue on, someone without gloves who touches the oranges can easily be infected. Likewise, particulate can blow onto your face while wearing a mask and the skin is an organ. It absorbs. This is how doctors get infected and go critical despite having masks and gloves on at all times around very, very sick patients.

My main point (and wahat every health professional and scientist has emphasized) is for prevention - isolation is best and most effective. Washing hands whenever you come indoors or transition from one place to another. Masks and gloves help, but don't let it create a sense of I can go and do whatever I want during this CRITICAL period of 2-3 weeks. Warm weather will help Texas but the curve here is yet to reach NY or Europe levels.

CCity Zero and omgTHEpotential like this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That is very, very, very sad.

I'm glad we can avoid political commentary here that belongs in the D&D thread(s).

But what an awful thing. This couple may well have never caught the virus, or probably could have had a mild or survivable case. Now he's dead.

9. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

What up guys. I know we have some intelligent people contributing to the hangout and this thread as well. I was wondering when you guys project us getting back to normal here in Harris County (ppl going back to work, restaurants and bars opening back up etc)

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We haven't hit the peak yet. We may be weeks away from just hitting the peak. Depends on if Harris County ends up being like NY or not. In a sense, the worst of Texas/H-town may not have even started yet.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Apparently he was taken to the ER where the test was performed after development of symptoms but was sent back home after he was tested to await the results.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So I hit refresh all day on Amazon toilet paper and when I'd score id go to checkout and it was gone that fast. Got very lucky at 4:30 and scored 3 x 24 packs to arrive Monday. I figure once they shut down the county its REALLY going to be hectic. I've been to every store I can think of like 20 times and they were always out. My body already feels better.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Here is the forecast model from the Robert Koch Institute (the major institute of Germany).
    It is based on the different containment measures each country has taken

http://rocs.hu-berlin.de/corona/docs/forecast/results_by_country/

The american forecast for 28 March is between 310.000 and 93.000 cases with 68% confidence.

It also has a model for the risk of imported cases for the early phases before the virus was widely circulated..
    For the US the most risk was in SFO and LAX with 0.234%

Remarkably it correctly predicted that Iran and Italy were in the top 3 countries of risk of import. The other country? Japan.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This really is sad, I didn't realize people were doing this but they're basically buying this aquarium additive and taking it... It's very dangerous as the chemical conformation can be different and/or... If this did work.. you're basically self dosing and not following guidelines regarding dosages. Taking too much/wrong combo and dying. When you might not have even been sick.

These assholes on ebay price gouging to scare people into buying are sick. They're basically selling scared people something at a 100-1000x markup and are okay w/ the person dying. Just scum of the earth. I hope we don't see more of this.

Richie_Rich, B-Bob and malakas like this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

Man if it is so bad do you want me to send you some toilet paper from overseas? I hadnt realised the situation was so dire.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean toilet paper is made in the US. they're not gonna actually stop making it and grocery stores won't be shut down. no idea how more people don't understand that

B-Bob and malakas like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's that bad if you're unlucky enough to have an idiot like this in the vid, in your area hitting up the stores you would typically go to

malakas likes this.
  19. LonghornFan

Reading online, one said places with hot and higher humidity might helps as the droplets travel through the air. The more moist and humid it is, the less far droplets travel before they just fall instead of continuing and outward spray.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. LonghornFan

I mean I work from 6am to 6pm and am considered essential so I have to go in. I never said they would run out, I'm just tired as **** going to stores full of people I'd rather avoid right now only to see empty shelves every single time. I'm in corporate meetings all day now because of this and can't leave whenever I feel like it. This worked, convenient for me but keep doing your thing...

arkoe and B-Bob like this.