1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

wish these idiots could be dropped off on some remote island where they can party and infect each other while the rest of us do the smart thing which is to try and avoid getting sick

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Is this proven?

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not that I know of, BUT a lot of epidemiologists are saying they would be surprised if the late spring and summer didn't knock this down, like they do most other respiratory viruses. It's just the science of how long a droplet can stay airborne, as I understand it.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Seriously? No rimming? I get being cautious in this pandemic but the government cannot take rimming away from us.

SWTsig, Mazulis, ipaman and 1 other person like this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I thought I saw something the other day where some research group was turning its attention to that question with full force....don't remember where I read that.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Not proven, but there are some published studies that offer hope that this is the case.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. B-Bob

There was a Chinese group of scientists who showed that, in China, the viruses Ro values correlated strongly with colder, dryer climates where cough droplets would stay in the air longer.

Richie_Rich, malakas and MadMax like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

It should have been done days ago.

Richie_Rich, malakas and MadMax like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

They are warning and then arresting people in Illinois. They aren’t pulling cars over but if you are at a park with a crowd or elsewhere, they are disbanding groups and not being nice about.

Houstunna and malakas like this.
  11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

FYI: If you worry a lot and/or a hypochondriac - don't read this or you will probably convince yourself you have it.

JayZ750 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

big whoop haha. that isn't stopping anyone for continuing to be out and about at this point. the same people who aren't exactly taking this thing seriously at this point can't really be expected to be any different going forward. just a sad part of this

daywalker02 and Nook like this.
  13. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Good to hear and hopefully things would keep getting better
    When i look at Greece my biggest question is about all of the islands, are they ready for the situation?
    It just feels like a pure headache dealing with all of this.

In the meanwhile in Spain
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...latest-news-madrid-ice-palace-ice-rink-morgue
    "popular Madrid ice rink turned into morgue due to coronavirus deaths".

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

In Chicago it is. Most people have hunkered down after the governor closed everything down. When there have been idiots in groups social pressure has worked very well.

If someone wants to go shopping at large stores they can but that is about it. Everything else is closed. You can get delivery or pick up for food.

malakas likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You should avoid folks that cough on you on purpose anyway, most of them are either mentally unstable or want revenge on society due to injustice in their life.

Houstunna, NotInMyHouse and malakas like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

they don't call it Chiraq for nothing. not nearly the case here in houston. I believe midway or ord is closed as well

17. B-Bob

What I notice in San Francisco, which is quite frustrating, is that people seem to naturally believe they only need a six-foot distance from strangers. Friends don't count for some reason.

I mean, it's one thing for me and the Mrs. to not keep six feet apart in public, but for groups of young friends to all huddle together and look at one another's phones.... just turrrible.

But mostly people are being pretty good.

Richie_Rich and malakas like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's no different in houston. there's friends gatherings at homes all over the place. no matter what standard you put down for the public or whatever you want to call it, people will find their own loophole for it regardless

Reeko likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

LOL I have taken a ruler to count the exact distance of 2 meters and practice judging it by the eye.

Now I have caught myself watching a movie and internally critisize people for coming too close to each other.

That's what happens when you enter 3 weeks of self isolation.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

What is the reasonable expectation have for how many people you're allowed to ever be around? Who can come over and how many? I've got a roommate. That's 1. I've got a GF who comes over that's 2. So that's 3 of us hanging out. Is that too many? You can't reasonably expect families to separate and that can range from 2 - 10 or so. I don't think small gathers of friends are a "loophole."