1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, it worked out for the few that stacked cart upon cart with toilet paper leaving many more without it and forcing them to now have to go from store to store multiple times a week in order to hopefully find it...now they’ve put restrictions on how much u can buy so people will be out and about looking for more a week later going from store to store hoping to find a roll

just stupid and selfish

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Listening to doctors, the simplest way to describe covid-19 is, "a very severe pneumonia".

robbie380 likes this.
  3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So how big is the baby boom going to be in 9 months?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

What's rational about buying a 5+ months supply of toilet paper, while only buying food&water for a couple of weeks?
    The amounts of toilet paper that many ppl bought will last them months longer than their next shopping trip for food is necessary.

I don't see how it is rational to hoard a longer lasting supply of an ultimately not "necessary to survive" product instead of the things you actually need to survive.

If **** hits the fan so hard that you can't go shopping for months and toilet paper production has entirely stopped, I can guarantee you that food will be the scarce good that ppl will shoot each other over, wiping your butt will be the least concern.

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Less or equal to divorce rate.

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Exactly. And I mean hell, if you gotta wipe your ass and TP is non existent, you can get in the shower and clean your ****! Or go spray your ass with a water hose. Surely we all have a couple old shirts laying around people can use.

There is nothing rational about having a room in your house stacked to the ceiling with toilet paper.

CCity Zero, Reeko and Yung-T like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Food can be rationed, can anger?

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Child abuse cases are up.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'm afraid some people have been on self quarantine too long...

10. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

I’ve been using condoms personally

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Click the link to read the entire study

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920300996
    Abstract
    Background
    Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have been found to be efficient on SARS-CoV-2, and reported to be efficient in Chinese COV-19 patients. We evaluate the role of hydroxychloroquine on respiratory viral loads.

Patients and methods
    French Confirmed COVID-19 patients were included in a single arm protocol from early March to March 16th, to receive 600mg of hydroxychloroquine daily and their viral load in nasopharyngeal swabs was tested daily in a hospital setting. Depending on their clinical presentation, azithromycin was added to the treatment. Untreated patients from another center and cases refusing the protocol were included as negative controls. Presence and absence of virus at Day6-post inclusion was considered the end point.

Results
    Six patients were asymptomatic, 22 had upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and eight had lower respiratory tract infection symptoms.

Twenty cases were treated in this study and showed a significant reduction of the viral carriage at D6-post inclusion compared to controls, and much lower average carrying duration than reported of untreated patients in the literature. Azithromycin added to hydroxychloroquine was significantly more efficient for virus elimination.

Conclusion
    Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin.

I had asked my cardiologist friend about the study and if non randomized studies were worthless and here were his comments.

“I would not say this is worthless. We cannot be as confident as a more robust study that does not exist. The gold standard would be double blinded, randomized, and multi-center with a large population size. When that is lacking we do the best we can with what is available. The bottom of the barrel would be expert opinion based on anecdotal experience. This is in between.

In this study, I can think of confounding variables that could skew the results. For example, only one center had patients that received hydroxychloroquine. If the other center is a tertiary referral center, perhaps sicker patients end up there and being sicker is why they did worse rather than it being a lack of hydroxychloroquine. If the Marsielle center caters to wealthier patients with insurance, perhaps these patients tend to be more fit at baseline.

The azithromycin is problematic in that it was based on clinical judgement with no enumeration of criteria.

I think the study is great. And I would alter my practice pattern at this time in the face of lacking evidence to the contrary and lacking alternative treatments. I will also note this study excluded patients with a long QT.”

Houstunna, malakas and Yung-T like this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a certain someone.

[Livesience]The coronavirus did not escape from a lab. Here's how we know.

The spikes that give the coronavirus its corona bind to ACE2 recerptors and it is how the virus starts the process of entering cells and infecting them. All the extant computer models say that the spikes on SARS-CoV-2 should bind extremely poorly to the ACE2 receptor, and thus the virus should have a great deal of trouble infecting cells. In fact, contrary to all predictions, the spike binds very strongly.

If you sat down in front of a computer to design a virus to be as infectious as possible right off the bat (no pun), you'd rule out the chemical composition of the spikes. The tools say they should make the virus useless as a weapon.

#3632 Ottomaton, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I am interested in how exercise might impact those that get Coronavirus and how it might affect your chances of survival. Obviously, there are no studies on humans or mice per Coronavirus given it is new. But, there was a large study done previously that...during the Hong Kong flu outbreak in 1988...showed that moderate exercise (performed about 3 times a week) reduced the risk of dying while people who did no exercise or too much exercise were at greatest risk of dying.

Additionally, there were studies performed on mice that demonstrated regular exercise performed two to three months prior to (and up to) an infection reduced illness severity and viral load in obese and non-obese mice. Thus, limited animal and human data cautiously suggests that moderate exercise two to three months prior better prepares the immune system to fight a viral infection. Further, 82% of the mice who exercised 20 - 30 minutes a day during the incubation period (time getting infected with flu and showing symptoms) survived while only 43% of sedentary mice and 30% of the mice who performed strenuous exercise (categorized as 2.5+ hours of exercise a day) survived. Therefore, at least in lab mice, mild to moderate exercise may be protective after getting infected with the flu virus versus no or heavy exercise not being as protective. The study also mentioned too much exercise and exercising while sick increases the risk of medical complications and dying.

Now, how much of this could be applicable to other viruses or Coronavirus is obviously not known. This data was learned from flu studies. The basic guidelines to follow for those that maintain an exercise regime and might be wise to continue during this pandemic and quarantine: continue performing mild to moderate exercise (20 - 45 minutes a day) up to 3 times a week, maintain your strength and fitness during the quarantine period, do not exercise past exhaustion as increases the risk of infection (if exposed), do not exercise if you show symptoms, and do not exercise more than 5 days a week.

Interpret what I said and draw your own conclusion. Obviously, Coronavirus is a unique beast in that we don't have any immunity for it at all. And, how regular exercise might improve survival rates for those when they fall ill with it is basically a guessing game. I fall into the category of being a regular, moderate exerciser going back months as I both run and lift weights.

#3633 Surfguy, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Yung-T likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Germany prohibiting gatherings of more than 2ppl, except for family/ppl you live with.

Also closing restaurants (except for delivery and takeout), hairdressers, massage and nail salons.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Germany will give fines up to 25.000 euro! wow
    Here the fine will be150 euro.

With such high fines in germany noone will risk it that's for sure.

Yung-T, Mazulis and CCity Zero like this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

About time :rolleyes:
    I can't believe that "massage" was deemed essential work till now.

Yung-T likes this.
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Will this generation be called Coronas?

B-Bob likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

So the proof basically is that humans are still too stupid and ignorant.

19. malakas

malakas Member

a 800 person clinical study on this therapy has already begun in France.

mikol13, CCity Zero, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I decided to re-up my hydroxychloroquine prescription even though I have a 2 month supply left and to nobody's surprise, its apparently impossible to get. I did so now because I figured it probably would take at least a month to get it, and I wasnt keen to go to the back of the line when I actually needed it for a medical condition that I actually have, rather that on speculation.

Honestly now I'm not sure I'll be able to get it before my prescription runs out.

mikol13, CCity Zero and Yung-T like this.