1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

We are going to have a Stepien-esque rule in the NFL aren't we...?

https://basketball.realgm.com/article/249279/CBA-Encyclopedia-Stepien-Rule

Why is it called the Stepien rule?

Ted Stepien purchased the Cleveland Cavaliers in 1980 and started trading first round picks almost immediately when they sent their 1984 first to the expansion team in Dallas on September 16, 1980 for Mike Bratz. A little over a month later, Cleveland shipped their 1983 and 1986 choices to Dallas for Richard Washington and Jerome Whitehead. Bratz, Washington and Whitehead combined for 170 games played as members of the Cavs. In February of that season, Stepien kept it going by sending Cleveland’s 1985 first to Dallas for Geoff Huston, the most successful of those acquisitions but still less valuable than the choice traded for him.

In a span of less than five months, Stepien had shipped away the team’s first round picks in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986 and to make matters worse, shortly before he had control of the team they traded their 1982 first to the Lakers which eventually became the No. 1 pick and James Worthy.

In 1981, the league took the bold step of preventing the Cavs from trading future draft picks without league approval. While the NBA stopped that policy at the end of the 81-82 season, the Stepien rule arose from the fear of another owner being similarly reckless with draft picks. Remarkably, Stepien was out as owner before most of those drafts even occurred, selling the team to Gordon Gund in 1983. Even more remarkably, the league gave the Cavs compensatory first-round picks in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986, presumably to keep the franchise afloat after the ownership change. Cleveland’s trade partners were allowed to keep their picks as well, with Derek Harper (1983), Sam Perkins (1984), Detlef Schrempf (1985) and Roy Tarpley (1986) eventually becoming the four players taken with the Stepien-traded selections.

B-Bob and Mr. Clutch like this.
  2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

BigShasta likes this.
  3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

man even non texan players talking sh*t about butt chin bob... this douchebag needs to go asap.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Never. The browns and lions have been in existence for a long ass time, and league never stepped in. One can only hope BoB gets fired, resign, caught in a scandal or god forbid encounters health complication

5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The only insider to what’s going on at nrg is named jack easterbunny... and he won’t even give John McClain an interview.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm tired of our organization being tared by questions of competency as well as racial insensitivity. As bad as BOB is and as much as i want him fired, it's been the Texans ownership that is the reason why we have trouble attracting top talent and have such instability in management. We need a new owner.

tamericus likes this.
  7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Day 4 since the trade - things are starting to deteriorate significantly.

B-Bob, joshuaao, Fyreball and 8 others like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Because it is the same ole' ****. I get it......Bill O'Brien needs to be fired. But he won't be this year.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yes, its also been eerily quiet...

10. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

makes sense no one wants to sign with them :) lol

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's just that you seem very ANGRY about people posting their opinions on a website that was specifically designed for people to post their opinions.

B-Bob and Canadiandude like this.
  12. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

We actually need Janice to fire Cal.

JamesC likes this.
  13. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

List of Bob's issues.

- stats
    - infographs
    - list of bad trades
    etc

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

583rd post

Canadiandude likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He needs to be fired yesterday.

The longer Cal waits, the longer the rebuild will be.

I bet he trades more picks before or during the draft

Houstunna and Jwise44 like this.
  16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Unearned arrogance

cardpire and BMoney like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

O'bRiEn DeSeRvEs To SeE iT tHrOuGh

LOL It's year ****ing seven, not year two.

Can always count on Boston media guys to carry Billy's water.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/25/jameis-winston-no-market-mailbag

From Sam Stein (@Samuel_Steinuel): Is it too late for the Texans to fire Bill O’Brien and veto the Hopkins trade?

Sam, the crazy thing is that O’Brien has won the AFC South four of the last five years, and has a young franchise quarterback in place. He’s done it amid injuries, and the pre-Watson quarterback unrest, and I think a lot of fan bases would trade for the position that O’Brien has the Texans in going into his seventh year.

I do understand the dissatisfaction with the team-building aspect of the job he’s done. Hopkins is a big-time talent, as is Clowney. But both clashed with O’Brien—and, again, we can argue about some of these wounds being self-inflicted—and wanted to get paid, and it’s one thing to carry an off-the-program guy on your roster, it’s another to reward him with a new contract. So the Texans moved on from both.

I don’t know if what O’Brien and EVP Jack Easterby are doing will work. But I would say that O’Brien deserves the chance to see it through, based on what he’s gotten done on the field thus far. And yes, I understand that the plan hasn’t gone over well on social media or with the fan base.

joshuaao, Pringles and cardpire like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I can honestly say I have a direct source to this team.

I don’t get much though.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

B-Bob likes this.