1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Now at 4 GOP senators selling off after the briefing.

Getting close to tar and feather time.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Ugh since I’m still made to go into work I think I should distance myself from my mom for a while. She beat breast cancer a little over a year ago and is in full remission. But I just dont want to risk it.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I guess I'll follow my thermonuclear bomb post with some good news

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You're in Healthcare, is this true? They are laying off nurses and canceling surgeries here? My brother just received these from his friend like 20 minutes ago. One of the most sweet and honest people I've ever known so no reason not to believe her whatsoever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

good news very welcome wherever we can find it.

AroundTheWorld and robbie380 like this.
  6. LonghornFan

Oh and btw...I can't find the hurricane season thread but someone posted a prediction from a guy who has gotten like 75% predictions for regions correct expected our area of the gulf to be very active this year. I want 2019 back.

[​IMG]

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Elective surgeries are cancelled (if you need something urgent it’ll still be done), I’m not aware of nursing being laid off but man that sucks

#3267 LosPollosHermanos, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

But will they get in any real trouble though?

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Trump will give them a medal

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

italy surpassed china with the most confirmed deaths 2 days ago i think and the scary part is they only have half of the cases as china does.

and looking at the G7 countries, it seems like many are on the same path, although hopefully not as bad.

more importantly, what's the news on clinical trials for a vaccine? i thought usa is fast tracking and china will be testing soon.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I mean what's crazy is that we're banking on China and Italy having quite literally hundreds of thousands of cases, that were/are unreported. China's death rate is 4%, Italy is at 8% right now. China hasn't been getting more than 50 new cases a day tops for a week now. The cruise ship showed only 18% of cases were unsymptomatic, that's not enough.

If the death rate on this thing is really that high, if it isn't less then 1% like many scientists and doctors have been hoping, then we have a HUGE problem. Hopefully, China is just purposely hiding their numbers like assholes, hopefully, Italy's cases catch up to the death rate, because this thing is out of control.

Social distancing will only hope to hold off overrunning hospitals momentarily, but we will be facing losing millions globally until a vaccine or breakthrough treatment comes out.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

do you have any idea why ammonium chlorides ,or urinary ph modifiers aren't in the mix for potential treatment, I'm certainly going to grab a cough syrup with nh4cl in it just in case it become the next toilet paper

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...n-texas-cases-covid-19-live-blog-15142519.php

With a reduction in elective surgeries, the need for nurses and related in that specialty is going to be reduced for a while. I wouldn't say that it is a layoff of nurse in generals, but a lull before the storm of expected virus cases. Those that are idled because of the reduction in surgeries will get shifted to help in ER, ICU etc.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...e-local-coronavirus-patients-will-be-treated/

#3274 Mango, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  15. LonghornFan

Thank you. She's very scared so hopefully this...helps?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://news.softpedia.com/news/you...lution-in-europe-due-to-covid-19-529515.shtml

malakas likes this.
  17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If things get even somewhat bad with the virus, there will be plenty of need for nurses. If things are better than expected, then hospitals will go back to their regular routines and the elective surgeries that were delayed/postponed will be scheduled and new patients needing surgery will coming into the system as well.

My parents are in their 80's and I have seen quite a bit of the medical system over the past several years. Hospitals are no different from other businesses in that they want to match the staffing to the workload.

At a hospital in the Methodist system in Spring 2019, the staffing for ICU was something like one nurse per two patients. In a somewhat less intense area, it was 4 - 5 patients per nurse. In an observation section it was 5 to maybe 6 patients per nurse.

In a hospital in the Hermann system in Fall 2018, it seemed that the nursing staff was having to work a bit harder than the nursing staff at the hospital in the Methodist system.

With elective surgeries being stopped, they will have some nurses available to shift around as needed. Maybe the real staffing shortage will be with RT people.

18. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Just saw a news report that from some reason flights from Madird(a new death from corona every 15 minutes) keep landing in Zaventem airport(Brussels airport)
    Not only that they are advised to "stay at home" but they arent forced too by any legal means they are also grouped in the ariving hall and bagge claims area with all the other incoming pepole.
    Dont know whats going on in other EU countries in that matter but i sure hope they are smarter than that.

malakas likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Austria has stopped commercial flights, there is a big but.

But getting back Austrian citizens to their home land from various other countries, is on the agenda.

This still leads to chaos as there is minimum staff working at the airport.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

malakas likes this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My wife is an OR nurse. Her system is prioritizing money over safety. ALL surgeries are still a go, despite the Attorney General and local and state officials recommendations to cancel electives. We're not in Texas, and her department is already severely understaffed.

Everyone that works there thinks it's terrible. I think Hermann did the right thing if they cancelled electives only. Not every surgery though.

Jontro likes this.