1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pandemic Work from Home Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamFisher, Mar 17, 2020.

1. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Isaac Asimov's excellent Foundation and robot series. Arthur Clarke's Rama series. Frank Herbert's Dune, don't do the series the quality plummets rapidly after the original. Orson Scott Card has some memorable ones including Enders Game.

Invisible Fan and Deckard like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Still working but traffic down 80% and i essentially layed off 30 of my 46 peeos today. Not good. Wife works for me in spots. Layed her off. She complained that now she is stuck with my 4 kids at home.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've read the novels you mentioned and agree with you. They are excellent. I've read the Foundation Trilogy at least twice. I still have my SF book club edition from the mid-'60's. It looks like the image below. For those who have read the trilogy, there's a truly excellent review from The Guardian by Paul Krugman, the award winning economist, who first read it as a teenager and is a huge Asimov fan. Don't read his review if you haven't read the 3 novels, collected in one very thick book by the publisher, Doubleday. There are spoilers. Link below.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/dec/04/paul-krugman-asimov-economics

[​IMG]

#43 Deckard, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    ico4498 likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Can't work from home and must travel city-to-city, state-to-state for money.

I'm able to socially-distance, so at least there's that.

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

You’ll be fine, just need an adjustment period. I‘ve worked from home for 20 years, the last 10 of which I’ve been married and most of that time my wife has also worked from home. I spend most of my days in online calls, meetings or video calls. I work for a very, very large firm within internal IT. We’re preparing for an additional 150K people to begin working from home on Monday.

I’ve had days where work was a distant interest but more of my days are highly engaged in my work. The paycheck and no commute are great motivation for me to continue to succeed while working from home.

Deckard likes this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

Pandas now working from home. China says.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will most definitely be looking into these. Thanks Deck! :)

Deckard likes this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Damn. I’ve been terrified that I would get laid off, I sell technology solutions to restaurants and they’re all closing due to all this, but I didn’t give up. The last 3 days I’ve sent out about 1200 customized emails to restaurants about what I can provide to help them during this time.

Tonight at 11pm one of the highest volume restaurants in the greater Houston area called me and asked me to come by tomorrow for a demo. Dammit I hope I don’t get the bug, but I’m proud of myself. Most of my coworkers have just accepted their fate.

Also, now If my wife distracts me tomorrow I’ve printed out write up forms. ***** getting serious.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

thanks Deckard, great review, whets my appetite for a reread! Paul Krugman gives Asimov a well deserved red carpet ride.

for me, Asimov's robotic laws and the clever ways he weaved stories in the gray areas of artificial intelligence, is both creative and prophetic. brilliant yet so unconventional writer.

RudyTBag and Deckard like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Asking @Deckard about sci-fi literature may be one of the most randomly awesome ways to derail a thread I've ever seen.

RudyTBag and Deckard like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who killed Tupac is on vice now

12. Buck Turgidson

How many episodes? It's replaying at 2 and 3 AM, I'm now set to record them both, is that it?

tinman likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I prefer 3pac. @Jeff would love the bass.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

15. Buck Turgidson

tinman likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

POS systems?

We also work in the Tech sector for restaurants, we make and manage their loyalty apps and backend.

DD

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Forged in Fire counts as educational TV right?

CometsWin and arkoe like this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yes we do OLO and loyalty too, but you have to have our POS software to use them.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I don't have kids so I can't speak to parenting-while-working. I worked for two days recently with a three year-old nephew around and had to answer "What's this?" every five minutes and listen to truck engine and siren noises while he played on the floor while trying to coordinate with co-workers to solve complex technical problems and found it challenging to my patience and concentration. You have my sympathy. I found myself looking for creative ways to wear him out outside by inventing "games", so running laps seems reasonable to me, especially if it can get you to participate and invent a reason to get in some exercise yourself.

I'm a caffeine addict and an insomniac so I stick to a double espresso of medium roast Illy first thing in the morning and then switch to tea after so I'm not sleeping three hours a night. I picked up the habit of tea when I lived abroad and it travelled with me when I found myself working more and more from home and cafes when I went freelance. I find it soothing and not as heavy on the caffeine and more practical than the three martini lunch I sometimes had in LA. My go-to was PG Tips, but I moved on to investing in a tea pot. I recommend mixing it up with herbal teas and green teas, throwing in fresh mint, and so on. Better for your immune system and liver and you can save the beer for the end of the day. Just try to avoid adding sugar. If it's good tea you don't really need to.

Otherwise a former co-worker posted this on FB and it's sound advice. In the absence of a commute, it's tempting to stay up, sleep in, and be lapse in hygiene. I think doing that makes cabin fever worse:

20. tinman

Supporting Member

FYI
    If you miss your nice 4K monitor at work
    And have a 4K Apple TV
    You can airplay it as a separate monitor on your 4K tv
    Or in my case 4K OLED