1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

If trump were to suspend/delay the election?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 18, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I know it wouldn't happen, but it created an interesting debate over "who would be President?" Many people might think "trump" or even pence. But that's wrong, their terms automatically end. Others said "meet President Pelosi, since the line of succession next stops at the Speaker of the House. Nope.

Here's a good twitter thread by Ian Millhiser (a Vox writer on poliics and the Supreme Court and a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress and the editor of ThinkProgress Justice. He received his JD from Duke University and clerked for Judge Eric L. Clay of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit) walking through the possibilities in response to this LA Times piece naming Pelosi...https://www.latimes.com/politics/st...ovember-election-but-thats-the-first-question

So this is incorrect. If Trump hypothetically managed to delay the election past January 20, the result would not be President Pelosi. It would be President Patrick Leahy.

Allow me to explain why. /1

If there is no election before January 20, Trump's term expires on that day, as does Pence's so neither one of them is president.

Third in line is the Speaker of the House. But if there is no election, every house member's term expires on January 3. So Pelosi isn't president. /2

Fourth in line is the president pro tempore of the Senate, who is the senior-most member of the majority party. Currently that is Chuck Grassley.

But wait! 23 Republicans are up for election in 2020, and only 12 Dems are. If there is no election, all of their terms expire. /3

If 23 GOP senators lose their seats and only 12 Dems, that means a Democratic majority, so Patrick Leahy becomes the senior-most member of the majority party, and fourth in line.

So he becomes president on January 20, when Trump's term expires. /4

One caveat is that state governors could potentially try to appoint replacements to the vacant Senate seats. For the moment, at least, Democrats control enough governors' mansions to prevent these appointments from flipping the Senate to the GOP. /5

Admittedly, I'm less certain about that last conclusion. I haven't checked how many state governors terms expire before January 20 (because, again, we are assuming no election), or who would fill those seats, if anyone, if no election takes place. /6

But, in any event, the President of the United States would not be Trump, Pence, or Pelosi if no election take place before January 20. It would be either Grassley or Leahy. And I'm fairly sure that it would be Leahy. /fin

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Leahy 2021: Vermont won't be the denied the presidency

RayRay10 and NewRoxFan like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

Well, he's 79 years old, so he would fit right in with the two other candidates... ;)

Invisible Fan, dc rock and RayRay10 like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this crisis is this bad 10 months from now that we've delayed the election and inauguration we are truly in uncharted Constitutional territory. My own guess is Trump would stay in on the basis of it being a national emergency. Democrats and others would sue and it would have to be resolved by the USSC, provided the USSC is even able to meet in session. Unfortunately if it gets this far the Executive branch holds most of the power. Under the Constitution the Executive branch is given a lot of leeway in case of national crisis.

That said if this crisis is still going on 10 months from now we might have many other problems, such as shortages of medicine and food to worry about.

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I can't see Republicans wanting to suspend elections...they thrive on lower turnout numbers. My guess is that they'll hold the elections, but try to limit how people can vote as much as possible while trying to rely on their dedicated voting base. So...basically what they always do.

6. NewRoxFan

Perhaps one positive outcome would be a serious examination of virtual voting or at least a dramatic increase in the number of places you can vote to (1) make voting more accessible/convenient to more people and (2) cut down on the lines and number of people voting at the current limited number of voting locations.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I know OP is talking about trump delaying the election but could anyone else delay it?

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Mail a paper ballot to every single citizen and ask for them to send it back and keep a receipt showing how they voted. It's not that difficult if we're still dealing with this pandemic come election time.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My guess is if he was to suspend under the National Emergency Powers, the best he can do is suspend for a period of time with a Supreme Court ruling after the DNC sued.

However....his decision to do so would be so widely unpopular & look so pathetic that one would think that when the election did take place at a later date, he would get completely crushed.

Best thing would be for all 50 states to agree to institute an emergency vote by mail process to be put in place. The DNC and RNC should both push for commitment from all 50 states to guarantee emergency voting procedures ASAP.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

About a month ago I was scoffing at the threads saying how Trump would declare himself supreme ruler and find a way to stay in office, ala Putin. The irony of the situation is not lost upon me. The only way I would support a delay in the election is if the Dem Party was fully on board. Not that my support would mean jack.

Digital and vote by mail elections seem like it's too easy to compromise. But if both parties can't come up with an agreeable solution, then a 'shady' election is better than the appearance of impropriety, IMO. It's not like we've never had 'shady' elections in this country.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If the us can't contain the virus then the government has failed. China has managed to stop it and they have way more people.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Hell no 45 must go

Invisible Fan and Rashmon like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good job.

I was one who thought Pelosi would be president but I am glad to have actual answers.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is no mechanism for him to declare a national emergency and stay.

Can Trump use the national emergency to delay the election?

No. The president does not have that power. Legal scholars are widely in agreement on this point, as are both Republican and Democratic election officials. The nonpartisan Congressional Research Service reached the same conclusion when it investigated the question in the aftermath of 9/11.

Under the U.S. Constitution, Trump and Vice President Mike Pence cannot stay in office past their four-year terms without being reelected. If the election does not happen for any reason, constitutional rules of succession kick in.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Congress can move election day as that is set by legislation. What can't be moved is the end of a presidential term. That is set by the Constitution. The 20th Amendment sets the end of Congressional and Presidential terms. So I'm not sure how you get around that. You basically can only delay it by a month or so and even that is dangerous because you potentially screw up the transition period between administrations (if Biden were to win). Now, Congress can pick the president if no president/vp is available but that implies that Congress had elections (which it wouldn't in this scenario).

You basically have to pass a constitutional amendment in rapid sequence to revise the 20th amendment.

#15 geeimsobored, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

In 10 months, if thing still exists, it's probably spread to just about everyone. In this scenario, there's a decent chance that many of our House Reps and Senators are dead, given their demographic, so we have no idea what the makeup of the Senate would be.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe it would have to be the states that delay it as they conduct all the elections. I don't think Trump could delay the elections himself. Doing so would certainly be an overreach of executive power and essentially appointing himself dictator.

I can't imagine any state delaying the election for president or house members. They have plenty of time until Nov, they will figure out a way.

Whether that way favors Dems or Reps is to be seen, I'd imagine it will be on party lines and geared to help their side win - that's where things get dodgy. How will the election be conducted in Michigan, Florida, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc? If Florida using a regular ballot system in poor black neighborhoods and encourages people not to gather or if the elderly are given the ability to vote remotely it will help republicans, where as if it is easier for the young/poor to vote it helps democrats.

It is going to be a contentious issue as it will likely decide whether Trump wins or not.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

The states nor the President have the power to delay the elections. Those are set by federal statutes and only Congress can change it. Even martial law doesn't suspend the Constitution.

#18 HayesStreet, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.