1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I’ve seen that as well

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

So are we all getting $1000 checks soon?

Hakeemtheking and CCity Zero like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Italy
    Total cases 31.506
    Sick 26.062, Recovered 2.941 Dead 2.503

Again 345 deaths today. 16% rise in deaths.

UK 67 deaths total, 14 deaths today.
    407 new cases today. They only test those who require hospitalisation and not eve doctors.
    Estimated to be over 55.000 infected.

#2803 malakas, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Yung-T likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Their death rate is just really high.

5. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Trump sending out stimulus package checks to people in the next two weeks.

6. justtxyank

Yes that is very likely at this point.

7. justtxyank

Where did you see this?

Generous of the Trump organization!

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can I just NOT do my taxes?

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  9. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

No Worries and justtxyank like this.
  10. GIGO

GIGO Member

What’s a phone booth?
    - a millennial stoner youtube commenter

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That is simple and brilliant.

malakas likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not sure about Greece, but Italy esp. Rome, Naples and other cities are full of pickpockets and thugs.

malakas likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This one is truly special, very exponential growth.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I need some 20 inch rims

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It helps people, but does it really move the needle?

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is probable and one of those things that "they" know will happen. It is the most logical and practical thing to do. We should all expect major changes to education once this thing settles down. A bigtime emphasis on distance learning and weird schedules due to the fact that we can't have too many people sharing the same space. This also means less teachers. Maaaaan, it's going to be crazy.

malakas likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I would think so

thos that desperately need it would use it , those that are already stocked up / can work from home / just don’t need it ... will find a way to save it , invest it , or send it to people that do need it .

the whole gist of capitalism and the free market being efficient is that the people will find the best use of their resources .

I’d imagine if you didn’t need it , you could invest in the stock market if you felt it had bottomed out enough . Enough normal people placing bets on the market might help stabilize.

now if you owed 700 in rent and we’re laid off , a 1k check only helps you to the tune of 300 ... (assuming you were not going to pay your rent ... if you were then it’s still 1k gain )

It might not help that much , but is there a better way for the govt to help people ?

Direct cash help allows individuals to spend on what they need most . If you take those funds and instead invest in some top down solution then how efficient will it really be ?

a lot of countries have already done things to reduce costs like suspend evictions , rent payments etc ... I could see some of those things happening here ... and I get that 1k night go directly to the landlord or to bills or That people that need it most wont be able to utilize the whole 1k before it gets soaked up....

I get it , but what’s the alternative ? At what speed can you get things done ? Specifically to the virus , does this help slow the spread ?

I was 10/10 on Yang’s UBI before corona and I’m still in on that . Whatever direct stimulus comes out of this will probably be different , but I’m still in favor of it because of the lack of other options. But can you imagine how much more stable things would have been had we already been getting 1k a month ? Would markets have crashed and panic ensued ? Not to the same degree I think . You would still have “normalcy” whereas now I think you are about to have none .

for those of us that were in Houston post IKE , post Harvey I feel like it’s gonna be that across the entire country .

As far as the other financial instruments go I dunno . Payroll tax ain’t gonna do **** IMO . The solutions to slow the spread of the virus and increase the speed of the economy usually are at odds with one another (ie people show up in person to work) ... direct cash transfer is one of the few that will keep people consuming above subsistence level (by ordering on amazon maybe a delivered meal now and then) But doesn’t push too hard to get the economy revving in the current climate.

once fear goes down and risk goes down then the 1k (if it’s still going on or was saved) is extra investment for businesses to use and rebuild/ restructure .

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Distance learning is fine when the child is say Jr High age and can be home alone. For Elementary age kids though what will people do? Hire individual babysitter/tutors? Not very efficient and very costly which is why we have schools and teachers in the first place.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think my point is that a one time $1000 check kind of helps, but just delays things. If they suggested a UBI of $1000 every month, that would definitely move the needle.

I guess I just worry they would only do it once or maybe twice; and not include other major possible ways to help. This just comes from my belief that this will definitely last until August and perhaps longer, requiring a larger response.

Hakeemtheking and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. justtxyank

NYC just announced they may do a shelter in place order and shut down on all "non-essential" businesses.

I completely oppose this order. This will destroy the economy if we do this on a national scale.

I think shutting down bars, restaurants, and basically all public gatherings is enough. People can still go to work, just enforce social distancing at work places.