1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

On the funny side, yesterday the cool and disciplined Germans were fighting each other over a roll of toilet paper. Almost came to blows too.

donkeypunch and Xerobull like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Probably difficult, as we also had many undiagnosed cases in past outbreaks.

Just as an anecdote: In Germany, Corona started in a Bavarian tech firm where one employee came back from China.
    One guy developed flu-like symptoms and made the connection with that Chinese employee, so he got tested and results came back positive. Only then did they check the rest of the employees, none of them with any symptoms, and found out that 15+ of em had Corona.

So if that one guy didn't show any symptoms, 15+ cases would've gone unnoticed and I'm sure it's the same in other places.
    The infection rate seems crazy when you see stories of how whole families got Corona or how quickly it spread in crowded places or due to clubs, carneval etc.

It's probably not far fetched to assume that we only know of the vast minority of cases, especially for younger ppl that have zero or only mild symptoms.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm theorizing it's been worldwide for several months. My two year old had pneumonia two months ago. Then two other people I know had pneumonia last month. This isn't very common but then boom, uptick in pneumonia, which is a symptom of Coronavirus. I think if we can test for antibodies on a mass scale we will find out that a lot of people have had it with either mild or no symptoms (if you can consider pneumonia mild).

Then, the public needs to be educated on communicability. If you've had it, like the flu, and have antibodies present, then it isn't contagious after x weeks.

ico4498 and Yung-T like this.
  4. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Yes.
    But you can never leave!

Kim likes this.
  5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Looks like many of us will be getting $1,000 from the government. Andrew Yang's plan for at least one month.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Please provide links

7. malakas

malakas Member

Here is the testimony in the british parliament of the uk scientific chief today:

The sensible thing at the moment would be to avoid ibuprofen in cases of people who have coronavirus amid some uncertainty about its impact, MPs have been told by the UK’s chief scientific adviser.

Take something else such as paracetamol, added Sir Patrick Vallance.

His comments, in answer to a question at a parliamentary committee, come after experts criticised Britain’s NHS advice that people self-isolating with Covid-19 should take ibuprofen, saying there is plausible evidence this could aggravate the condition.

French authorities have warned against taking widely used over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs. The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Vallance’s testimony has now ended.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...-5e70e5998f085e564ad85c9a#liveblog-navigation

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

I have to tell 500+ employees today that we will be closing down indefinitely and possibly forever. Salaried workers won't be getting a paycheck after this next one.

This ****ing sucks. We occupy large retail spaces, so our fixed costs are just too high. We will be declaring bankruptcy soon.

9. likestohypeguy

That does not sound so crazy to me. Before I ever heard of this virus, a month and a half couple months ago or so me and everyone around me had a mild flu, including the most of my clients all sick at the same time I'd ever seen before. It was remarkable enough that I was letting each of them know, never seen so many of you sick at once before.

But surely just a coincidence... we'd have had many more deaths right? I mean hospital capacities would have gotten overrun right, like we're expecting to happen.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What kind of company? Sorry.

Pringles likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Damn dude, I’m sorry

Kim, Yung-T, Pringles and 4 others like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Actually a spokesman from WHO yesterday said without subscription to avoid taking ibuprofen for Covid-19.

Theres a new study in the Lancet about it and they need to check it carefully but in the meantime avoid taking it.

France since 15 January made it unable to be bought over the counter and only with prescription.
    https://www.welt.de/wissenschaft/ar...s-WHO-raet-bei-Verdacht-von-Ibuprofen-ab.html

Why is the american media silent about such important information?

Yung-T likes this.
  13. likestohypeguy

I haven't tuned in yet because can't get off brady radio tracking, but SIRIUS has fired up a dedicated coronavirus channel 24/7 (best they had prior was just the doctor channel 110, that I was just getting frustrated with yesterday they were talking about hearing aids instead, I guess there were enough similar listeners).

#2793 likestohypeguy, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Advertising controls the media. I wish I could say it was because you need conclusive proof in this country before the media started to potentially wrongfully slander a company or person but that isn't true.

I do wish yall would stop debating the pill drama and just move it to its own thread. If I had suspected Corona I would just play it safe instead of defending one pill over the other due to lack of evidence. Better safe than sorry.

15. GIGO

GIGO Member

3D printer saves ten Italian coronavirus patients' lives by producing a replacement valve for a broken ventilator in just a few hours after the hospital's supplier falls short
    16 March 2020
    DailyMail​
    • Chiari hospital found itself short of the spare ventilator parts on Friday March 13
    • With the supplier unable to help in time, local tech experts came to the rescue
    • Local engineer Christian Fracassi transported his own 3D printer to the hospital
    • He then designed and printed replacement valves for the intensive care machine
    • The original maker of the parts reportedly declined to share the valve specs

Italian start-up 3D prints valves to help coronavirus patients
    Monday, March 16, 2020 2:55 p.m.
    Reuters

MILAN (Reuters) - Italian Cristian Fracassi heard about the shortage of valves used in respirators at his local hospital by word of mouth.

The founder of Isinnova, a startup with a staff of 14 people, offered his company's services to help ease the shortfall of equipment that has been in huge demand since the coronavirus outbreak struck Italy.

"We were told the hospital was desperately looking for more valves. They're called Venturi valves and are impossible to find at the moment, production can't keep up with demand," said Fracassi, a 36-year-old engineer.

Named after Italian 18th century physicist Giovanni Battista Venturi, the valves connect oxygen masks to respirators used by coronavirus patients suffering from respiratory complications.

Italy is battling the world's worst outbreak of coronavirus outside of China. So far 2,158 people had died of the 27,980 who have contracted the disease in the country in less than a month.

Its healthcare system is under strain due to the mounting number of patients requiring intensive care facilities.

The hospital is in Chiari, near Brescia, a prosperous northern city now in the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak.

Fracassi and his team were able to replicate the valves using a 3D printer at Isinnova's headquarters.

The company's products range from hi-tech luggage for fashion brand Gucci to a special paint it is currently developing to survive temperatures of 1,000 degrees Celsius.

"When we heard about the shortage, we got in touch with the hospital immediately. We printed some prototypes, the hospital tested them and told us they worked," Fracassi said. "So we printed 100 valves and I delivered them personally."

He said he did not meet a single car as he drove through the streets, an eerie sensation caused by the transport ban in place. At least 10 patients were using equipment containing the valves by the evening.

Fracassi said it cost next to nothing to produce the valves, which weigh around 20 grams each and are made of plastic.

"I'm not going to charge the hospital ... It was the least I could do to help doctors and nurses who work all day long to save human lives."

(Reporting by Elvira Pollina; editing by Valentina Za and Mike Collett-White)​

16. likestohypeguy

Weird, now back up to 97 & one death. Why'd it go down then back up?

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

Trying to stay positive, but it has not been an easy few days.

Family entertainment centers.

AroundTheWorld, Yung-T and malakas like this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The stupidity plague has crossed the Atlantic, I see.....

19. malakas

malakas Member

I am just trying to inform people which potentially can lead to saving lives.
    I hope that you too if you have some information to share it, so I can learn about it and tell my loved ones.

Theres very few things we can do at this point to help ourselves, but the choice of a over the counter antipyretic pill is one of it.

20. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

I keep hearing schools might be closed through the rest of the school year? From the education commissioner. I’ve seen it on FOX and KHOU