1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If season is over will Dantoni be back next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jake Stewart, Mar 12, 2020.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

It’s about huge expectation from Tilman.

He wants MDA to be a miracle coach next 4 years.

2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The capeala trade looks even worse now that the season is over.

God speed to rockets and nba world wide!

"play every game like it could be your last"~Allen iverson

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Even with his flaws, I think MDA should be a priority over Morey & Harden if we lose. Keep MDA and let him run his offense without Moreyball. Let's see some ball movement & team ball for a change

Jbarrachina likes this.
  4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Not sure d'antoni deserves another shot at Golden State? D'antoni gonna coach into his 70s.

Dantoni cannot legitimately ask for an extension based on last year's success. Obviously, d'antoni oversaw trades that dealt away the majority of last year's team.

Any extension for d'antoni is a long term investment into something bigger down the line. Not sure if ownership is willing to wait.

Maybe the ownership relies on over-rated hype just for ticket sales.

5. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

Harden is actually the biggest problem the Rockets have (besides playing for only 3-pointers and NOT having good 3-pt shooters)
    Get a center and make Russell the alpha male

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You're right, and I've been saying this since his game 6 Spurs series. Harden's talent is off the charts but he's not fully committed to winning a championship, and has looked so bad ppl have accused him of throwing games

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Russ and a traditional center do not work.

Holy hell, when are you guys going to understand this????

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why, Rockets are team full of vets?

411 on Atkinson is that he coaches kids better but superstars and vets do not trust him.

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Who said Naismith was a genius?

Ridiculous comparison.

10. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tilman adjusted his expectation from championship to win the west, which means MDA is unlikely to be back.

11. fattz

fattz Member

I think MDA needs to stick around in some capacity maybe not the head coach but in a offensive system advisor role. He brings so much to what the Rockets are trying to be. His success is undeniable. MDA needs an office job we are he can make adjustments to his system going forward. But the Rockets need another person to make adjustments during the game. Placing the right players in the right situation and making load management a priority. MDA’s value is obvious just needs a different role as the team moves forward. Is he willing to take a lesser role?

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. s3ts

s3ts Member

w/ the Thunder being ranked higher than us at this point with less than 20 games left on the season, MDA has outstayed the welcome.

i find that in previous seasons, there were plenty of excuses around injuries, lack of surrounding talent in the supporting cast, etc.

this time, we traded for a player with clearly a higher upside with CP's risk to injury as a net negative... and performed worse than the team we traded with in the regular season...

if i'm MDA, i get in that meeting with Tillman and Morey with no excuses, and only plans for adjustments to prove why he'll turn the ship around next year. probably the best part about it would be trading Capela away and giving space for RW to operate, giving us a bunch of wins in the process.

however, the worst part about it is the disappointing losses following it. there's no explanation or excuse for that kind of performance.

for me, if MDA can't motivate Harden to be a threat for 30+ pts every night, it's a huge problem.

13. Remlap

Remlap Member

Luke Walton?!!

D'Antoni has the winningest record in the NBA over the past 3 seasons.
    Luke Walton won a handful of games with Golden State on auto pilot when he got to
    temporarily take the wheel with 4 All-Stars on the floor and he's your guy?

[​IMG]

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

This is not a MDA problem.

No assistant coach knows how to teach House and Ben on switching defense. They are worse than 19 years old Rookies on defense. They are both 27 years old. I’d get really mad if I were MDA.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. payaso

payaso Member

UMMMMMMMMM...... no.

I ain't playing RealGM, this ain't no trade.

Luke Walton is the loser in NBA Coaching musical chairs - he can carry Phil's golf bag for all I care, and I'm saying that as a old-time UA homer.

I think Kevin is laughing at the whole thing. Please read my post again.

I think Vivek would love to revive some of the old Maloof magic. Besides- doesn't MDA seem a little like the cowbell type? :D

#55 payaso, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  16. rockets13champs

It’s corona time!

17. HP3

HP3 Member

what?

Remlap and D-rock like this.
  18. payaso

payaso Member

Sigh...

Any 99'ers (and honorary 99'ers, you know who you are ;)) out there care to provide additional History of the NBA context?

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Really, Capela has yet to play a single game for Atlanta

That heel condition may need surgery as far as we know.

D-rock likes this.