1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the season is over will Tilman need to sell the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Most of Clutchfans perspective:
    Tillman:
    1) Didn’t bring back Ariza at $15 mil and he moved on to three teams that have had zero success with him
    2) Didnt hold on to Brandon Knight And Shumpert to use trade assets because he was cheap

What I know:
    1) He brought back the most important piece of that conference finals against the Warriors in Chris Paul
    2) Anything he could have / would have held onto (Shumpert, Knight) would not have turned into a championship piece
    3) He has pursued big time player like Jimmy Butler which would have almost assuredly put us into tax territory
    4) Let’s Morey operate so we don’t know how much it was his decision. And he OK’d the Capela trade which I don’t know if many are willing to accept this but without it we’d be seriously F’d with no Roco and no Capela

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

What you may not know:
    1) Gutted assistant coach and scouting staff to save $
    2) Squanders our draft picks every year in salary dump trades to get under lux tax
    3) Has never used full MLE
    4) Has made ~15 trade transactions and every single one of them involved taking back less annual salary
    5) Did not expand WB trade to include another piece because LTS
    6) Has not used any of nearly a dozen trade exceptions because LTS
    7) Currently sits at $5M+ under the taxline while claiming to be trying to contend
    8) Made WB re-work the paycheck schedule in his contract lol!
    9) Is waiting till end of this season to replace MDA only because he already owed him that 4th yr of salary
    10) Ariza turned into oubre, and knight and/or a re-signed shumpert would have netted a great piece at the deadline

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

@pippendagimp beat me to it.

Had Chris Paul, only to publicly grumble about his contract & traded him with 4 firsts for Westbrook (yes, took on an extra year of Westbrook); didn't take back additional salary in Westbrook trade

That he forced his basketball ops to do the Westbrook trade? ("I think my basketball ops got maybe a little weak at the end and I said "We're doing this. We're gonna make the change and go after it and roll the dice. We're gonna find that 5%. The one thing I believe you do in business & basketball is you never sit still. You always keep it exciting.")

Let Trevor Ariza & Luc Mbah a Moute walk (with no viable replacements)

Let Danuel House linger in the G-League last year, then paid him in the offseason (what you could have paid him at the time. Of course how he's playing now, last year it was the wrong decision (to let him linger), this year it was the right decision)

Had Ryan Anderson, traded him & De'Anthony Melton to Phoenix for Marquese Chriss & Brandon Knight; Traded Chriss, Knight & 1st/2nd/2nd for Iman Shumpert; let Iman Shumpert walk

That every outside free agent signing is for the minimum?

That he refuses to spend the MLE two summers in a row? (Used partially on Hartenstein one summer; Used partially on House one summer)

That every move is cost-cutting?

Not taking back additional salary in the Westbrook & Covington trades?

His public contract dispute with his head coach?

Gutting the head coach's assistant staff?

His ability to lie(either through himself or his media minions that he'll do "whatever it takes", "win at all costs", "green light to bust the budget", "Daryl's hands are not tied") and then spit in our face(not only am I not going to spend, I'm gonna spit in your face and tell you it was a fluke, an accident)?

All while James Harden busts his ass and this guy is worried about the repeater tax in 3/4/5 years when he hasn't even paid the Luxury Tax ONCE?!

[​IMG]

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i forgot about the danuel house saga -- thx

that was pretty fuking embarrassing, even worrell was caught on mic clowning the owner's cheapness smh

J.R. likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hahahaha. You used so much Bs in your post to try to make him look bad. Anyone who reads your post and buys into it is just not very bright.
    1) you have zero proof that dumping Bzedelik was for money reasons and not a personnel decision.
    3) Did we not use the MLE on buyout candidates?
    4) umm. The Roco trade was because we wanted Roco. Ryno trade was because we did not want Ryno and willing
    to take a chance on Chriss and Knight
    5) we don’t know who he could have attained with that expansion trade that everyone is so sure of.
    7) who is above the tax line? And what player could we have for sure gotten that would clearly make us title contenders that we definitely could have gotten (again, Jimmy Butler is someone that fits that criteria and again, he made it clear he would go for him)
    8) lol. “Made Russ?” Haha. Get a grip. If Russ was down and it helps why not.
    9) Lol. Is unsure MDA is the right coach to bring us a championship, as is a lot of people. Why throw money away if he hasn’t proven himself.
    10) How do you know? Yeah Oubre would have been nice but Morey probably wouldn’t have been able to predict that one. Plus if you think paying Oubre (guaranteeing us we wouldn’t be able to make any other moves) makes us favourite for the chip you’re wrong.

Your points for 2,4,6 are being mad at him for making smart financial decisions and not making moves that has no guarantee of improving us and definitely wouldn’t have elevated us to another tier. And again, I have to reiterate this over and over, he was willing to go after Jimmy Butler, which would have led to three max players, I doubt we would have avoided the tax.

So many of your points are such horsesh*t I feel bad for anyone buying into it

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

you are not in a position to deem others here as "not very bright" when..

1) we dumped a lot more staff than just bzedelik, educate yourself
    3) no we did not, they were signed to (partial) minimum contracts for the remainder of this season
    4) the roco trade could have been expanded to add more pieces. instead we gave up a 1st round pick to dump nene/green
    5) we could have very easily gotten patrick patterson at the bare minimum, but more likely much more
    7) jimmy butler was never coming to houston and the owner was NEVER going to spend $125M on 4 contracts (harden/cp3/clint/butler)
    8) why not because players talk to each other and it's clear to any free agents now this is the cheapest owner in sports
    9) you didn't understand my statement -- he wasn't willing to replace MDA after another disappointing playoff run b/c he didn't want to eat his $4m salary
    10) oubre was still on a rookie scale contract when traded for ariza

cmlmel77 likes this.
  7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

1) sure. But they were disappointed in the results. Maybe that’s a better reason that Tillman is cheap
    3) Rivers Faried DMC and Jeff Green were t used part of the MLE? I’m not doubting you if you say so but it’s still a strategy by our team to keep it for then in case something does pop up. Moreys words.
    4) who were we getting to expand the trade. You honestly think Morey didn’t try. A team has to be willing to give us something, all other teams have to ok it. It’s pretty damn complicated getting a good player let alone adding him onto a 4 team trade
    5) Patrick Patterson. Oh good lord how did we let that one slip
    7) Jimmy wasn’t coming here because he didn’t want to. Enough people have indicated Houston was willing to get him that should outweigh your opinion
    8) Russ did it willingly. So you just make up the narrative Russ is doing it willingly but he will talk **** to his friends about it. That’s ridiculous
    9) ok I understand that. But again you’re just making it up. Stop doing that. Like you know for sure he didn’t want to give MDA one more shot
    10) yes he was. So what. No one can predict this piece can turn into this piece. And he wouldn’t be worth his current contract on our team anyway

You’re just making a lot of assumptions. I wanna say Tillman is cheap so I will say this is the reason for this and this is the reason for that.

and

Could he have spent more money. Of course he could have. So could every owner. But if you really know these Rockets and weren’t going to be a homer about it, most of the players you’re thinking we could have gotten may have made us a bit better (some not at all by the way, PPat ain’t it) you would admit that they wouldn’t have elevated us to a much higher level.

And for all owners that’s a very good reason not to spend.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think it’s a good news if he sell the team to Alice Walton of Walmart, net worth 50 billion.

Or Anyone who is willing to pay 50 million tax each year.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1)it's fine if the owner was disappointed in the results, but he let go several assistants and added one (turner), giving us the shortest coaching bench in the league. training/scouting staff also reduced

3)rivers/faried/dmc/green all signed to vet minimum contracts, not MLE. and in the case of the latter 2, the league also pays half their salary for the owner due to their 10-year tenures

4-5)sure morey would have wanted to expand those trades. he also had a trade set up for jamychal green and garrett temple at the previous deadline, but the owner didn't want to go into lux tax territory w/ those contracts. patrick patterson is also a just a help player like those guys, but one who can play D and make 3's, and therefore give tucker some needed rest. when you're trying to win a championship and games come down to one possession, even marginal players can be the difference between advancing or going home

7)we didn't even get a 30sec facetime interview with jimmy. because as some here had posted leading up to free agency, jimmy was all about having his own team and being in a glamorous venue. and from our side again, it was not feasible to have 90% of our payroll in 4 players, with guaranteed lux tax the next 4 years out

8)russ agreed to it because he obviously wanted the trade to happen

9)and you're also assuming the owner's intentions on MDA, kettle black

10)again, ariza would have been a large expiring contract. that's not hard to predict the value of

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Dude if you don’t see that you’re stating assumptions as facts then yeah I guess there’s no point in this. You don’t know Tillman nixed that Jamychal green trade, and we actually heard otherwise, him saying a team backed out, but now you’ll say “obviously he’ll say that because he doesn’t want us to know he’s cheap!” So what’s the point. You know nothing, you know nothing about Russ, and neither do it. But I won’t state it as fact to judge another man.

You also realize that every team has at least one player who’s team holds player rights, you don’t see all these teams handing out massive one years to them just to trade them. And then you talk about how “Russ is telling other players how **** our owner is”, yeah ok, let’s see how it sits with Ariza and his buddies if he’s being dangled in trades all season.

Our owner isn’t the Golden State owners, I’ll give you that. But not EVERYTHING is his fault. Jimmy not wanting to come here is not his fault. Teams not trading players to us is not his fault.

#31 Zoplicone, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1) uber-reliable insider Nook has posted numerous times that the owner was reluctant to give morey the go-ahead on the jamychal trade and that's why MEM moved on to other deals
    2) other teams didn't have every other option exhausted b/c they traded away picks, were out of caproom etc.. shump on a re-signed contract was really our last ditch option at being able to improve the team this season w/ a major piece (without having to trade away a piece like capela)
    3) uber-reliable insider CH44 posted a day or 2 before the RoCo trade became official that it wasn't even a thought or possibility of us going over the taxline to include other pieces in that trade

the mountain of evidence against the owner for cheaping out at literally every juncture possible is overwhelming. this is why perhaps 99% of this forum sees it for what it is plain as day.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

These bulleted lists.....gawd damn they are damning every time. Glad we have them to refer back to.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Tillman sucks! Tillman Sucks! Tillman Sucks! Tillman sucks!