1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

49 Pts 25 Reb 6 Blk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

It's actually not hard.

D-rock likes this.
  2. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

haha. good one

blurr- you have a lot of data on analytics. how good was Hakeem based on that?

granted, his era didn't shoot 3s but he did everything well. his offensive AND defensive stats were amazing

he was always one step ahead of his defender and had both speed and power

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lots of people here don’t respect Dream

It should be required learning that people need to know why this board was created

saleem and CCity Zero like this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

Every time you logon in this site or read anything from this site
    ‘Clutchfans’
    This was created because the creator and our leader was so passionate about pure fans he created a site for ‘us’
    @Air Yordan

so every time you see the word ‘clutch’ here
    It’s really short for ‘Hakeem Olajuwon leading the Rockets to back to back championships for the city of Houston Texas USA ‘
    @Jontro

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Hakeem was extremely Clutch and remember our city was blasted by the media for years blowing games when it counted the most (I.E. Oilers)

So this transcended just basketball and as long as Dream suited up, we had a chance to win

He created so many wide open jumpers for our team as guys had to double and triple team him

But what I miss most is the way we always competed and although we may not have the best team on paper, our guys played with heart and won a lot of games which we should have

we have now the exact opposite. guys play for personal stats and we get blown out by scrub teams when we should've easily beaten them

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Olajuwon recieving an entry pass in the post was such relaxing moment for me as a youth. I credit that for my calmness as an adult.

7. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Looking at the video, there was very poor floor spacing. Not many 3 point shooters back then. Just imagine what he could do today. My favorite Rocket all time. Best center in my eyes when you add up what he could do on both ends of the floor.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm so thankful I got to see Hakeem play at the Summit. Will never forget, also... A lot of people seem to forget, he was taken 1st in the draft ahead of Jordan (3rd), and no one that I know of calls him a mistake on the pick. He was legitimately that good, his footwork/moves were incredible (and that's even an understatement), just absolutely amazing.

Houstunna, saleem, fattz and 3 others like this.
  9. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

with his foot work and moves, he almost always gets a good shot off

whether is is a fade away, jump hook, up and under etc. guy would school defenders every game

saleem, BaselineFade and CCity Zero like this.
  10. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

It seems like Rockets always had trouble with the Sonics until we got Barkley......but after getting Barkley we went from always beating to Jazz to always losing to them.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. elrond

elrond Member

Love the vids as well. What's especially noticeable to me is the contrast in the 2 vids. You can really feel the raw power of Hakeem in the 1st one vs. Seattle with some hints of where his game will go in the future, while the 2nd vid is more finesse Hakeem. Not sure if it's nostalgia, where I was in my life during the Hakeem years, or what, but there's just a different feeling watching that team vs. the current one.

CCity Zero and BaselineFade like this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

All true, also remember that Dream was the lesser of the twin towers, too. Ralph Sampson was a more developed player with a much higher skill set —> nothing really compares to him. Ralph’s injury was one of the lowest points in NBA history. Ralph was an historical player teamed with a legend. Pre-injury the Rockets were the future of the NBA. Still the best tandem ever. (Yes better than Jordan and Pippen).

hakeem94, saleem and CCity Zero like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Matt Maloney getting owned by Stockton
    Missing the toughness of Sam Cassell

BaselineFade and saleem like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Truthful thinking
    Unless U of H finds a dude who’s the #1 pick
    And the Rockets draft him at #1
    And he wins two titles takes the team to the finals 3 times
    And takes them there in his second year
    and wins defensive player of the year and mvp

It’s the truth Bra

I guess you kids are use to seeing the same thing pop up over and over again
    @Os Trigonum
    Like people who sound like drake or auto tune

gods plan

DeBeards and hakeem94 like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No doubt about that, but The Rockets had to give him up for Barkley. If Kevin Willis didn't disappear in the playoffs throughout most of his career, Houston may not have traded Sam Cassell. I'm not implying that Willis was in Barkley's class.

DeBeards and tinman like this.
  16. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

Not to thread hi-jack, but this will always be one of my favorite Hakeem performances:

32p/16r/5b/4a/4s -- in a win against the '97 Bulls, with Barkley injured, and its a day game during Ramadan. Hakeem couldn't even sip water during the game.

Watch his defense at about 1:48 -- he seals off the post, blows up the pick and roll, gets back to his man, gets the help defense block, and tips the pass to start the fast break. One man guarded 3 players and completely blew up a possession, then jumpstarted the possession for his own squad.

We were so lucky.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. WildTurkey

WildTurkey Member

Dream was the best. I saw his last dream-shake in a Rockets uniform with my teen-age son. What a great memory. The crowd erupted!

18. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Those were the days I used to work night shift back then and use to record every game and come home and watch them.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. magichat281

magichat281 Member

This how good Hakeem is. Legendary Kobe Bryant wanted to train and learn post moves from him. He didn’t learn from the lakers but a great from the Houston Rockets. After training Kobe said Hakeem posted him up after his prime and bested Kobe 1v1. You can see Kobe doing dream shakes in his game.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. magichat281

magichat281 Member

He didn’t learn from Shaq all time great but he learned from the guy that defeated Shaq and made him cry.