1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This is more for people around where I'm at in NYC, but possibly applicable for others on the board.

The Role of Subway Travel in an Influenza Epidemic: A New York City Simulation
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3191213/pdf/11524_2011_Article_9603.pdf

Yes, the study looks at influenza, not COVID. But some things can be extrapolated form it. Not saying use the public transit/subway willy-nilly. But using it when absolutely necessary is a reasonable risk

malakas likes this.
  3. likestohypeguy

what does this mean? That testing/tracking is key, personal hygiene, cultural greeting stuff, old/young demo's... or just that it was engineered to target-kill euro dna harder than asian?

[​IMG]

4. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

South Korea was very proactive in dealing with this. They ramped up testing significantly and people took it very seriously. I remember watching a video of what life was like there a couple weeks back and the street population was down a lot and just about everyone was wearing masks.

malakas likes this.
  5. jcf

jcf Member

You think it is only boomers?? Rich. There is a healthy percentage of each generation that is acting irresponsibly right now. Look around. Geez.

malakas likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

likely a greeting/personal space issue.

look at japan too

Yung-T and likestohypeguy like this.
  7. jcf

jcf Member

We shut down our firm today. Everything is remote. We will revisit in two weeks. Understand that it is not possible for all kinds of work.

malakas likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Large scale testing helps locating hot spots and movement of the virus allowing greater control which results in lower total cases and deaths.

Nook, malakas and likestohypeguy like this.
  9. astros123

astros123 Member

Anyone who thinks this virus is somehow overrated watch this from the 17:52 minute mark. Iranian doctor said he's never seen anything like this and its worst then any war he's been involved with. Patients walking in with very minor symptoms then after CT it shows they have collapsed lungs. This is BAD. This shows how bad the situation is in Iran. I don't believe in these "self quarantines."

#2289 astros123, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    FrontRunner and KingCheetah like this.
  10. likestohypeguy

Okay thanks KC & robbie. Granted, it's not objective data, but stuff like this isn't helping...

[​IMG]

11. jcf

jcf Member

I am very sorry about this and hope your industry gets help.

On the other hand, do you want people to continue to travel and continue to spread the virus? The cheaper flights being offered by some airlines to lure younger travelers to take advantage is pure bs -- irresponsible.

Hope your personal situation goes well. Hope the industry does well. But, I hope more that this whole thing blows overs and doesn't matter. Right now, some segments of your industry are soliciting people without knowing how the story ends.

malakas likes this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

This looks accurate according to my mother

malakas likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

That is scary the description of the lungs sounds like Spanish flu -- I feel like there are two strains -- severe and moderate/mild it seems Iran has the severe strain. That probably isn't correct, but some countries are just getting crushed while others have what seems to be a slower moving less virulent version.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You don't need to feel like there are 2 strains because there are. One is more severe than the other by most accounts. Iran's problem is they are acting like jackasses and have done everything wrong that you could possibly do. Iran is probably close to 5000 deaths as well.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

it's mainly to do with the proactive response South Korea has taken. They've been doing what needs to be done, super proactive testing and containment. If you limit the spread and know who has it w/ repeated testing you can make it a lot easier to isolate positive cases. It's when you undertest/look the other way that things get bad fast. I'm not so sure on China sometimes (reporting numbers), but I feel south Korea would have a much harder job suppressing whistle blowers if this weren't the case.

Also, being that this virus (like many others) uses ACE2 for entry - from studies I've seen the levels of ACE2 seem to be statistically insignificant between races (outside of the only main difference being if a race/culture has a higher chance of varying health related issues and need for certain meds). For example obesity and certain health conditions can play a role with regards to it. With that said, if there's some other function once it uses ACE2 for entry, like being able to target another site that could change something, but it's highly unlikely that is the case here and it would have most likely been published for peer review by now.

likestohypeguy and malakas like this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, definitely 2 strains at least from reports, Iran though just didn't prepare at all, I mean putting an election 1st is very dangerous (basically ignoring the problem and helping the spread w/ mass groups etc). I'm not sure how their health system is but I think with the slow response/cover up it made everything very dangerous.

17. KingCheetah

I thought that was still up for debate and that there could be other factors like initial virus load -- ex: breathing in a large 'dose' results in severe reaction -- small amount causes a mild reaction.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's a good point though, I haven't seen any updates on the 2 strain thing so it could be, I do know risk factors can play a role in how the virus can have easier access based on ACE2 expression in tissues which can impact transmission.

I'm going to see if I can look at some papers later and see if there were more tests regarding populations (assuming ACE2 is the main component as shown in peer articles). Like 1 study did show some different findings but mainly showed males having a higher transmission chance in Asia, so then it goes back to South Korea just being super proactive.

malakas and KingCheetah like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

Think it's a good reminder to everyone that it's right now, when the world is shutting down, that moments are made. Opportunities are born. It might be the one studio who is making a movie and refuses to shut down, it might be the guy who develops the vaccine, or the ma and pa grocery store in the middle of nowhere. When there is great risk there is a moment you might not otherwise have had to shine.... but it could also end up like the overlook hotel. So there you go. It's a moment.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen anything that has come out to deny reports like this one. Granted, I didn't hear it thru this article, but thru the doctors I have been following thru youtube and such who have proven to be accurate. Is there something you have seen or heard that indicates otherwise? The reports I had seen also indicated that researchers felt a vaccine would cover both strains even though being infected with one strain wouldn't cause you to become immune to the other strain.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/c...l-type-strain-affecting-70-per-cent-of-cases/

Coronavirus: aggressive ‘L type’ strain affecting 70 per cent of cases

malakas and KingCheetah like this.