1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am simply quoting the preeminent expert in the field, Dr. Anthony Fauci, who says "failed".

We knew the need months ago, but since trump didn't want anything to contradict his "then" story" ("its not serious, its the flu"). there was no push to get test kits out there.

Nook, justtxyank and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The thing is, while younger people like NBA players are likely to survive Coronavirus, they come in contact with other people at work and at home who may be vulnerable if infected. NBA guys have been in a lot of crowded spaces recently also.

When you are a hammer...

malakas likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I get all that, but there are a lot of people with the same profile who are lung cancer patients, health care workers, etc who should be tested who have not been due to the critical shortage of testing materials.

Pat Patterson is not at the front of anybody's triage list. His VORP is to low. But I guess if he wants one he can fly to a country that's not as big a failure as we are and can get a test like Taiwan or somewhere.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Is he supposed to be the smart one? I forget...

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

ITEM: Them crazy PRO LIFE Republicans at it again:

WHAT THE **** HAS ANYTHING GOT TO DO WITH VIETNAM, WALTER!

Seriously, the slide from "an embarrassment" to "dangerous" happened really ****ing fast, didn't it?

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sam, surely you can see how important it will be to cut down on abortions when older adults are asphyxiating and piling up in the hospital parking lots. We will need some fresh bodies to replenish our ranks.

No Worries, malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You must be joking. Clearly, he was reading it and I’ve never seen him look more nervous. I am not reassured. At least a mention of what our allies are going through
    The lunacy of the GOP is astounding. It's so bad that this doesn't even surprise me. We are having arguably the worst epidemic in modern history, at least since 1918 (is that still considered "modern?"), and they can't address fighting it without pandering to a certain demographic of their base, a political base that in it's entirety is a minority of this country's adult population.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GOP never misses a chance to use a national emergency crisis to try to advance their agenda.

There are nukes heading our way, we need to do something!

GOP: Well, first agree to the hyde amendment then we'll talk.

Nook, justtxyank and RayRay10 like this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Anyone notice that Gov Abbott has said basically nothing so far? He encouraged health insurance companies to waive fees for covid testing. That's all I've seen. Texas has a role to play here.

Absolutely not. The CDC had a test in January. Then they found it was unreliable. Had they scrambled, they could have gotten test prototypes from other countries to make instead, but they waited until they could get their own test right, and thereby lost over a month on production. Sounds like they and other labs will be ramping up very quickly now, which is great, but that 1+ month was critical in a quickly escalating infection cycle. If there was ever a time for a herculean effort, getting the tests asap was probably it.

Nook, Sweet Lou 4 2, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yes I was joking, he was locked in on the teleprompter. He was not finishing his sentences as they petered out towards the end.

Deckard likes this.
  12. Pringles

Pringles Member

If Nevada has a response before Texas does, then that is an absolute shame.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Quarantines popping up, potential lock downs happening, and after ordering the Texas State Guard to monitor the US military to protect us from Obama's invasion of Livingston, TX; he's not sure what to do.

15. malakas

malakas Member

China created the first test in 1 day.
    Germany created the first GOOD test since the middle of January.
    South Korea has created tests that need 10 minutes since February.

What do you think a coronavirus is? It is not a never seen before strange virus from Mars.

You all have been taken in like fools to believe their pathetic excuses.

If they WANTED there would be millions of tests available in every single lab.
    The WHO donated to Iran and North Korea half a million tests, and China to Italy.

Maybe the USA needs donations from the WHO too, since it's "so difficult" to make tests. :rolleyes:

Nook, RayRay10, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you guys know what the Hyde Amendment is?

From my seats, looks like Pelosi is the one in the wrong here. The Hyde Amendment is a passed law, and is routinely attached to any appropriations bills containing federal funding on healthcare. The Text y'all are objecting to is standard practice. So if Pelosi doesn't want to allow the Hyde Amendment attached to this bill, then she is playing around...trying to set precedence to end the Hyde Amendment for future bills.

That said, I need to get to the bottom of what happened, but the Text in question is nothing to scream at Republicans about ...

#1476 heypartner, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Does this correlate to Trump, Conway Kelly, and others who said this was no big deal? Or were they actually right this isn't a big deal. Let it spread kill a million people and blame it snowflake libs for giving a f*ck?

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Hyde Amendment is law, already...for like 45 years. It's attached to any appropriations of federal healthcare spending like this. For Pelosi to object, she would be trying to set a precedence to weaken the Hyde Amendment for future bills.

Do some research Dems. Pelosi might very well be the one trying to be clever here.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good point about Abbott. He's been "missing in action" when it comes to leadership, certainly compared to some other governors I can think of.

Thanks for mentioning the utter failure on the testing front. I mentioned it a few days ago. We could have easily produced a few million test kits, considering our production capacity, which is unmatched, had we started at the end of January using, for example, the "quick test" test kit developed by German researchers. Those Germans promptly gave the plans for how it works and how to make it to the WHO. This was around January 20th, or earlier. Why we didn't begin to produce that, or some other methods a handful of other countries had worked out, is a mystery. Those researchers in Germany developed their test before there was anything approaching a crisis in their country.

Here's something else likely mentioned here, somewhere. If not, this is disturbing.
    From Snopes:

Claim: The Trump administration fired the U.S. pandemic response team in 2018 to cut costs.

Answer? True.

Amid warnings from public health officials that a 2020 outbreak of a new coronavirus could soon become a pandemic involving the U.S., alarmed readers asked Snopes to verify a rumor that U.S. President Donald Trump had “fired the entire pandemic response team two years ago and then didn’t replace them.”

The claim came from a series of tweets posted by Judd Legum, who runs Popular Information, a newsletter he describes as being about “politics and power.” Legum’s commentary was representative of sharp criticism from Democratic legislators (and some Republicans) that the Trump administration had ill-prepared the country for a pandemic even as one was looming on the horizon.

Legum outlined a series of cost-cutting decisions made by the Trump administration in preceding years that had gutted the nation’s infectious disease defense infrastructure. The “pandemic response team” firing claim referred to news accounts from Spring 2018 reporting that White House officials tasked with directing a national response to a pandemic had been ousted.

Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer abruptly departed from his post leading the global health security team on the National Security Council in May 2018 amid a reorganization of the council by then-National Security Advisor John Bolton, and Ziemer’s team was disbanded. Tom Bossert, whom the Washington Post reported “had called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics and biological attacks,” had been fired one month prior.

It’s thus true that the Trump administration axed the executive branch team responsible for coordinating a response to a pandemic and did not replace it, eliminating Ziemer’s position and reassigning others, although Bolton was the executive at the top of the National Security Council chain of command at the time.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

The most offensive thing about this is that he calls the people as consumers.

In the middle of a pandemic, where hundreds of thousands of people may die, it's like he sees everyone as just wallets.

I can't imagine how I would feel if the Prime Minister adressed us like this.
    "Consumers of risky age please stay inside your house. Consumers don't need to panic but take precautions"

I am not your fcking consumer I am your citizen that need the state to do their work.

Nook likes this.