1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adjustment to the way teams are now defending Rockets' small-ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by for-three, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

need to play 10 guys to keep people fresh. As I said need to play hartenstein for 10-15 minutes a game.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

D'Antoni doesn't make adjustments

sungjina, MrSabotage, bro2044 and 2 others like this.
  3. MONON

MONON Member

Hence the problem!

bro2044 and Stephen_A like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

I'd do that Cp3 trade 10/10, we won 65 games and should have taken down the warriors. Capela was a great pick up. And all gms do bad in the draft, Morey's never gotten to tank eitehr. I feel like his drafting has gotten better as years have gone by though, whenever he's had the oppurtunity. We did, but who knows if wed be a championship contender with those three. And I dont even think his emphasis on analytics is that rigid(or well...I should say I dont think analytics are rigid in general), I think that's more Mike but to be fair, Mike has gotten us great results. We'll see what happens,as you say Morey has not been perfect, but I one thing I absolutely believe is that as long as he's around this franchise will continue to be successful.

Stephen_A and Blurr#7 like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We need to adjust by

playing

HARDER!

BigBum and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It feels like we are overplaying on D resulting in wide open guys - the hustle in there but we are letting guys get to the rim uncontested without a body on them leaving them to either get easy dunks or easy put backs.

On offense, it seems we are trying to force things instead of playing off the defense.

Westbrook got used to driving to the cup with all that space. So defenses have learned to collapse as he drives and build a wall. The passing needs to be more crisp to burn them because if he gets too deep it's too easy for the defense to recover once he stops his drive. He needs to pass as they collapse and make them change directions more.

Confidence seems to be an issue here. It's one thing to have a sense of urgency, it's another to have a sense of panic.

They are panicking and losing poise. The Rockets are a great team, this should not be happening. I can't ever remember seeing anything like this before where a team just lays eggs on so many nights. The issue isn't small ball, it's a total loss of composure.

This is suppose to be MDA's job - to center his team and make them believe in the system. MDA has to show them the way.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Tucker leads the league in corner 3’s seemingly every year since the days Ariza lead the league in corner 3’s

Supposedly teams are just packing the paint allowing us to shoot open 3’s.......I’m suppose to believe we are
    slumping so bad that we can’t make those shots. These NBA players should be shooting 500 to 1000 threes a day.
    Able to hit them with their eyes closed and we can’t make open 3’s. I don’t buy it.

Can’t admit to tanking for position against the Nuggets because people betting their houses on NBA games
    could sue the Rockets or throwing games. And win the law suit. We all know Denver jockeyed for
    position at the end of last season to avoid us.

HP3 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Teams just cover the corners a tad better now.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Still serves a purpose off stretching the floor.

Teams do a better job of preventing post ups and iso......yet teams still try to run those sets

HP3 and daywalker02 like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cue Kevin "Milkhair" McHale's triumphant timeout speeches!!!

"Clap - Clap - Clap ... okay .. cmon guys .. lets go get 'em!!"

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

ive just never seen an offense with no off ball movement I really haven’t and I don’t get it, rockets fans don’t get it, the media doesn’t get it. Can someone tell me why we don’t run flares or up and down screens? Only screens we run are double screen for harden or high pick and roll with no real roller lol. And someone please please tell me why you always see mclemore or PJ screening some wing guy that really doesn’t affect anything with the action going on while 3 other guys stand around with James at the top of the key or wing? I don’t get why they always do that? It’s baffling. Harden has to spit blood everytime to score off the dribble instead of wide open threes a la klay Thompson/Steph. Mind boggling. I agree with kobe. MDA just doesn’t have the championship mindset in him.

#51 Stephen_A, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    charlieaustin likes this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I really couldn’t watch the last 2 games. Unbearable. I was a little late tuning and and the game was already over by the second quarter. I didn’t stick around for the Orlando game but what I saw in a few minutes was that valenchulas was catching the ball really deep in the paint over 3 seconds and all but the refs don’t care. He was dominating with baby hooks over short rockets players. It was embarrassing to watch. MDA makes me feel like I could really coach in this league. As I said before you have to have to have to deploy your bigs even with small ball to harass defend and keep the other guys fresh. You want to throw as many looks at the opposing team as possible on both offense and defense.

13. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Seems like the guys don't really know where to position themselves on defense, hopefully it's something they can fix

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

He did,

The adjustment is from miss-shots to make shots.

15. BigBum

BigBum Member

There is no teaching on defense at all. Which assistant is in charge of defense?

I knew this is not MDA duties.

16. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Elston Turner

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need better 3 point shooters that are not afraid to shoot the wide open 3.

House, PJ, Rivers and McLemore have lost some of their confidence. Too much hesitation and listening to all the "experts" that they should be attacking rim more instead of taking the open shot.

Bring in better 3 point shooters, better ball handlers, better rim protectors/rim attackers, better defenders.

Jonah Bolden (6'9 7'3 wingspan)
    Ryan Broekhoff (6'7, 40% 3ball)
    Justin Anderson (43" vert, 7'0 wingspan)
    Tyler Johnson (42" vert, 35% 3ball)

Blurr#7 and Stephen_A like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

And you keep shooting 3's. Most of those 3 point attempts were wide open.

Rockets have shot 29% in 4 game loss, that is not typical for this team.

I would also sign BETTER 3 point shooters.

There are also zone busters when teams pack paint against us.

But continue taking wide open 3's, get better defenders/3ball shooters and player/ball movement to create overloads is key.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree except for that list of guys lol. Wtf? That’s not going to cut it in terms of Championship roster

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's pretty damn good then.

Winningest coach in Rockets history still has room to improve.